NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tidied Up my cabling - Mesu and scopes

Really tidy... do I spot a HomeObservatoryUK construction housing all this?  WITH the T&G rather than plywood option?

I ask because I have a slight problem with mine ATM: the T&G on the sliding wall has swollen a bit (in the wet weather!) and is binding on the end wall as the roof rolls back.  Perhaps you don't actually have a low wall on one side, but I just wondered if you'd come across anything like this?

My dear and much-missed friend Per was Mr Tidy Cable. He regarded me as Mr Cable Mess. We enjoyed many a drink together over this interesting discussion! Now then, here's my version: cables, for no reason at all, fail. (Hey, I host five robotic setups and run three imaging rigs. Don't tell me they don't fail! I changed one yesterday in the robotic shed.) So I have two questions for the Tidy Cable Community.

1) Are both ends of every cable going into your tidy tube labelled? If not, go to Jail!

2) Do you have spares of each type of USB cable wired into your loom? (Mr Cable Mess does! :angel4:) If not, go to jail/lose a night's imaging.

Mr Cable Mess.

Since I have 4 scopes and 3 cameras plus guide camera -  a home NEQ6 and a camping HEQ5 and am constantly changing my kit around or de-rigging for camp and re-setting up back at home,  there is no way I am going to thread all my cables into cable housing/tubes or whatever they are called, too much faff every time I have to change it all.  

After securing the cables immediately after the cameras so there is nothing snagging or dragging I let it all hang out.  I make sure none of the cables are going to get snagged during an image run and so far so good (after 9 years of imaging).  

Maybe if I had only one rig and kept it permanently mounted I might consider it.  

Carole 

All cables labeled both ends - yes.  I have a note which USB port they connect into.  They are all high quality USB cables and rust me £10 each!   I have had endless problems with cables and, yes, I agree Olly they do indeed fail!  The cables are all wrapped in cable spiral tidy.  If need be I can remove a cable in 15 minutes.  Eventually I wil move to OAG so need more cables in the loom but there is one spare as a hot swap just in case.  It is sod's law that I would have discovered a supernova that night that the cable failed!

l also note which PC USB port each device plugs into because I am convinced that keep swapping them about causes problems and glitches with the software and drivers.

The system can do a meridian flip without catching/snagging on anything.

5 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

Thing is does that zip cable tie tend to kink?  That's the great thing about the spiral wrap, it has "movement" when the scope is slewing.

I've never found the zip cable to kink - I've used it for years now.........

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XHHZMDV?psc=1

These also look good and may work at the scope.  I may give these a try first on the rats nest of cables at the back of my TV. I always thought TV/Computer/HiFi was a nightmare for spaghetti wiring until I got into telescopes and AP.....  A complete rats nest!?

14 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Even I quite like the look of the zip stuff since you can open it easily. I must look into this!

Olly

It works well but you need 3 hands to fit it :grin:

Dave

Some more pics how I have done it.  The thick loom has one cable that I missed.  I will make sure this gets tidied properly when I get [if i get] a new camera.

All will be broken down when i go on jollies in two weeks and taken to my dads.

IMG_2358.jpg

IMG_2359.jpg

IMG_2360.jpg

IMG_2364.jpg

5 hours ago, sloz1664 said:

I now use the Zip Cable Tidy.

Good plan!  I've just ordered one (also a netting-like variety to get cables in/out along its length.)  Thanks for the tip.

I'm in process of doing a homebuilt data/power piggyback and I'm going the Mr. Tidy Cable (copyright @ollypenrice ) route. Mostly because as a setup and teardown imager I need to be able to strip it down and pack it up as quickly as  possible without dropping or leaving anything at the remote site. Secondary reasons, it looks like I know what I'm doing and can limit cable drag.

Yes, all cables (data, power) will be labeled at each ends. Ill even lablel the USB ports and Riggrunner for each device in case there is a failure internally. My old hub has a dead port in the #3 position. If there is a power or data cable failure, simply having a long enough spare in the box is all that's needed. Ill keep a spare USB male B, a Mini, micro, and a 6 foot w/ a 2.1mmx5.5mm DC plug with a powerpole that could power the EQ6, Atik, or Moonlite. Simple use it like a jumper cable and reloom the failed cable later.

Archived