Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baby WO at FLO

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Lockie said:

Yikes! that's a bit steep , thought you were going to say about 80 lol

It is very nice though and I just couldn't get the WO F/R 1V to sit square in the standard focuser this holds it perfectly :)

Dave

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

The one in the case has a twistlock focuser.

Dave

Oh yeah, and I notice it's also next to a 2" diagonal which wouldn't be able to make use of it! :happy8:.

I bet you can get binocular wide views with a 2" EP though, with probably a massive exit pupil.

Great looking and specced little scope!

I have had a Tak FS-60C and a William optics ZS SD66mm, both of which I enjoyed very much because you genuinely could take them anywhere without having to think about it. Optically the Tak was better than the WO as you would expect, but it seems that this one will be much closer.

Strangely I found the WO more portable because it was a little lighter than the Tak with its clamshell on, the dovetail foot is a great space and weight saver I reckon. It was also very short because of the sliding dewshield whereas the Tak is fixed (although you can remove it for travel). I know it is not much cheaper than an 80mm, but if you can't take the 80mm with you somewhere then it is useless anyway.

Yes, 60mm is obviously limited but under a dark sky it has something to offer visually. It would also give lovely full disk views with a Quark, as I found with the Tak. It must have field curvature as Piero says, but I honestly never found that to be too much of an issue when I had mine.

Looking forward to someone buying one of these :) 

Looks really useful as a travel scope especially eclipse chasers. Using a Quark or Herschel Wedge you would have the best of all worlds. I had a WO66 which I really liked especially when used at a dark site. Although I don't do imaging I would guess it could be popular.

51 minutes ago, Skyline said:

I am genuinely eyeing one of these up from my setup. Can you a get a reducer for this and will it have enough focus travel?

I've asked this plus a few other questions by PM on their FB Page. I'll keep you posted.

However, I've read there will be a matched Flattener61 by the end of July, plus the scope will reach focus as is with a DLSR. I don't know if the matched flattener will also reduce (I've asked)? This info is just from WO replying to questions on their FB page, rather from my direct PM to them.

WO61dlsr.jpg

3 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Looks a very tempting thing to put on the SW Star Adventurer.

Dave

I would imagine it would be perfect for users of that mount. I think Matt Jenko? uses a TS60? on one with good results.

1 minute ago, Lockie said:

I would imagine it would be perfect for users of that mount. I think Matt Jenko? uses a TS60? on one with good results.

I've used a WO Star 71 on mine ok but normally that would be permanently mounted so a separate little scope for the SWSA would be nice.

Dave

Just now, Lockie said:

Got back from work about 1am, poured a glass of wine, and found myself starring at pics of this little scope....what does this mean?:icon_scratch: 

It means you must be the beta tester so I know whether to buy one :grin:

Mmmm shiney shiney

Dave

50 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

It means you must be the beta tester so I know whether to buy one :grin:

Mmmm shiney shiney

Dave

lol these things often cross my mind when something new and vaguely affordable arrives on the scene....and shiney of course...this one seems especially shiney :grin: 

I'm mainly visual no days due to young family biding for my time, I'm not even managing to get the 150p out at the moment, just my bins for quick looks around and to escape the family :grin: A small high quality apo does therefore appeal - Could this be the scope that just gets me out under the stars more regularly? Or even the one that gets my toe back into imaging on the EQ3 if the whole thing is setup is portable in one. I was looking at hitting the button on a 90mm/102mm Mak next as they are super compact and no CA, but other than both being portable the WO is a totally different mini beast.   

1 minute ago, Lockie said:

That's weird, I asked WO to clarify id the flattener reduced, and they said it did??

I asked on their FB page. My understanding was that it covers a full frame circle with the 1:1 flattener Flat 61

32 minutes ago, moise212 said:

I asked on their FB page. My understanding was that it covers a full frame circle with the 1:1 flattener Flat 61

I asked on the FB page too and got this answer:

"It will be a reducer and flattener. As soon as it will be available we will list all the info on WO website."

Either way the full frame coverage sounds very good at least :) 

As good as my Super Takumar lenses are, I'm definately giving a lot of thought to replacing them with this 360mm FL little Apo, and just keeping my cheap zoom for general daytime shots..Hmm?

54 minutes ago, Lockie said:

As good as my Super Takumar lenses are, I'm definately giving a lot of thought to replacing them with this 360mm FL little Apo, and just keeping my cheap zoom for general daytime shots..Hmm?

Stop thinking about it and go for it :evil4:

Dave

The reply I got was: " The Flat 61 has nearly full frame 44mm image circle with 1:1 flattener ( no reduced) "

I want a replacement for my Canon 300 F4 L lens since this one has some misscolimated lenses inside, maybe due to the image stabilization, but also the EF-T2 adapter doesn't fasten tight enough and I have tilt also there.

With a 0.8 reducer this little scope would be 61/288, which is F/4.72. Reasonably enough. My Canon lens is resolved to ~293mm on astrometry platesolving so 288mm would be very close. The amount of light gathered by the Canon is ~50% more, but it comes with a cost.

We shall see how the FF is designed in the end. According to William, the FF should be ready "by end of July".

Maybe the other WO reducers made for the bigger scopes can work well for a 4/3 sensor?!

I told to myself that I shall not buy any other equipment this year, but at this cost, I could give myself a birthday gift next month.

Archived