Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baby WO at FLO

I was window shopping on the FLO site yesterday when I noticed a new baby 61mm f/5.9 William Optics with synthetic Fluorite, aka fpl53 glass. Might be a good 'cheaper' alternative to the Tak 60 perhaps? 

The blue accents work for me out of the three colour choices :happy10:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/william-optics/william-optics-zenithstar-61-apo.html

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Yes chris I saw this myself and was intrigued, I guess there is a bit of a gap in the market for ultra portable imaging scopes of this size. I do like the electric blue colour scheme!

I think this will be really popular with imagers - pretty fast natively, likely to be well corrected, 10:1 R&P focuser, 350mm FL....the spec does seem to add up. 

I wonder if it has any merit visually at all? Considering the likes of the ED80 DS Pro outfit with a bit more fpl53 glass and case for just 70 quid more, or the bare bones OTA for 50 quid less. Although I'm sure the focuser is a step up on the baby WO....and it does look the part as an ultra portable grab n go scope. 

1 minute ago, Alan White said:

Nice small scope, looks the usual WO quality build.

Small and light has appeal to me right now, but 60mm for visual, hmmm.

Yeah I agree, Alan. I think it will do better with imagers rather than visual folk. Although at 350mm focal length I bet the FOV would be nice and roomy and with a low power eyepiece. Might be good to strap one to a long focal length scope too but that's all the visual merits I can come up with....other than the scope itself looks very nice visually :icon_biggrin:

2 minutes ago, Piero said:

Under dark skies, it is a lovely wide field telescope, spanning about 4.4 degrees of sky with a 24 Panoptic. It will likely show some field curvature.  

I think you're probably the resident expert when it comes to 60mm ED's for visual Piero :) 

19 minutes ago, Lockie said:

I think you're probably the resident expert when it comes to 60mm ED's for visual Piero :) 

:color:  Thanks Chris, I'm happy to be just a 60mm user who is still learning his way in this hobby.

Assuming that the glass is good (as it should - it's FPL53), it has some better features than the TV60 IMHO. I like the fact that it comes with 2" focuser. Apart from imaging, this allows one to use 2" filters easily. The dovetail is also lighter, simpler, and more standard. The price is way more affordable. Optically, it could show some colour, but this is just a speculation. For cycling or for travelling light, a telescope like this is ideal assuming that the sky is moderately light polluted in the worst case.

It shouldn't be the first telescope, and possibly not the second telescope either. It will be a good tool for wide field and for zooming bright DSOs. I'd expect nice observations of the Sun and Moon. Hopefully somebody will soon get one and let us know! :) 

17 minutes ago, Mr niall said:

Looks great, but how much use would a 61mm be visually? Has anyone used anything comparable? 

I kind of have.....I've owned a couple of WO66's over the years, and do remember how nice they were on the Moon -probably due to the contrast plus the small aperture meant that they didn't really need a Moon filter. I don't actually remember much more about them visually? I was more into AP at the time and for that they were very good little wide field scopes.

13 minutes ago, Mr niall said:

how much use would a 61mm be visually? Has anyone used anything comparable? 

I have a Tele Vue-60 F6 which is somehow comparable with this WO-60 F5.9. Some of my thoughts are collected here:  aj_by_target.pdf  

p.s. There are also other telescopes in that document, but most of it was done with the TV-60.

3 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Looks nice but why hasn't it got a twistlock focuser as standard, I bought one for my WO110FLT and it works much better than the thumb screw version.

Dave

I think all scope should have something resembling a Baader click lock as standard too, I wonder if it is down to patent?

1 minute ago, Lockie said:

I think all scope should have something resembling a Baader click lock as standard too, I wonder if it is down to patent?

that'd be simply amazing..!

Just now, Lockie said:

er? what kind of picture would you like Dave :)

No I put a picture on my previous post :grin:

Yer tis again this is what WO are fitting to their scopes as standard 

596d33af6c189_WOBaby.PNG.7587ae3e961008fe9237c045029851b4.PNG

5 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

No I put a picture on my previous post :grin:

Yer tis again this is what WO are fitting to their scopes as standard 

596d33af6c189_WOBaby.PNG.7587ae3e961008fe9237c045029851b4.PNG

Ooh that's nice! How much do they cost to add?  

4 minutes ago, Piero said:

Gentlemen, the sky is clear here and rather dark now.. Time to take my 60mm out for 1/2h scanning Cepheus and Cygnus! :) 

Enjoy :) Cloudy here, but even if it was clear I'd probably only have quick look with the bins being honest :icon_biggrin:

Archived