SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A sea of stars and a few DSOs

Last night was certainly a surprise for me, the weather informed me cloud ☁️ would be around until at least 21:00 and considering I have just finished my shifts for days I wasn't feeling very energetic to be fair.

But the pull of exploring the wonders of the cosmos is strong and when I looked out at 22:00 a clear sky greeted me with Saturn almost high enough to observe.

I had a few newly acquired items I wanted to try out, Turn left at Orion/observing hood/ironing stool/skywatcher LP filter.

So onto the observing I started with Saturn which was just observable over a house south of me.

Seeing was still a little light and a bit hazy with moments of transparency but by now means a stable view.

I used my 13E with LP filter combined which still managed to show me the Cassini division and a little detail in the north polar region.

Onto the DSO hunting and in goes my ES 20mm combined with LP filter.

My first target was the blinking planetary nebula NGC 6826 but I didn't find it pretty sure I was in the right area of the sky but alas I just couldn't see it ?

Not to be discouraged I went in search of The dumbbell Nebula M27, which I found immediately in the fov success ?

I could easily make out the distinctive shape of this wonderful Nebula and the surrounding stars where incredible as well I did pop in my 13E combined with the UHC filter which showed up even more definition to the shape and different brightness of the Nebula.

Next I wanted to bag a Glob so I went for M71 which was in the area and was instantly rewarded.

I didn't find it particularly impressive small and not very bright  but still lovely to observe with my ES 20mm offering x75 not much gain in using the 13E.

I then decided on an old favourite The wild ducks open cluster M11.

Even with the drawback of it not being astronomical dark this was an incredible sight.

I could easily make out the wedge shape of the open cluster and the haze of light which spills out from the centre simply stunning ?

I then tried to find the lagoon Nebula M8 which proved difficult to find so I moved on to my last target.

The swan Nebula M17 I'm loving my nebulas at the moment ?

When first observing I could make out a small ball of light which after popping in the UHC in my 20mm quickly revealed wisps of gas but I couldn't make out the V which I think would have become apparent if the sky was a little darker.

To wrap up the session I had a quick look at M13 not as bright as my last session or as defined but still pleasing to the eye ?

I then had a last look at Saturn which was much more clearer and showed me some lovely detail ?

In conclusion it was a very enjoyable session a lot to observe and enjoy and new kit to try out.

My observing hood was an instant hit blocking out all light from my neighbours pesky garden lights and reflections I could also keep both eyes open which was great.

The observing stool was fantastic also very easy to adjust and comfortable.

The Skywatcher LP filter was brilliant I think it will be a constant addition to any EP in using real makes a difference to the amount of stars I can observe and the darkness of the sky.

Turn left at Orion wow what a book so easy to compile a list and use in the field pictures of what the surroundings of the object looks like then magnified simple and easy to use ?

What really struck me last night though was the absolute sea of stars I could see just scanning the sky not to mention satellites whizzing past simply mesmerising I easily got distracted and forgot about the list ?

Clear skies ✨????

A lovely read Richard, some great targets in there. M71 is an odd one, not overly impressive, a little more like a tight open Cluster than a glob.

Glad you had a good session!

Nice read Richard

I must start to get out myself now the dark nights are here.

M71 is underwhelming when comparing it to other globs but when you ramp up the mag it starts to impress.

The swan is something I have viewed a couple of times. The nebulosity extends for quite a way and takes quite a while to trace the outline. 

Clear skies 

Cheers mapstar, it was a great night didn't want it to end.

Yes M71 certainly was an odd one and your right im sure if I could have upped the mag it would have rewarded me for it.

As for the swan I knew I didn't give it as much time as it deserved I will have to revisit again in the near future and give it some more observing time.

Clear skies

Great report Richard,

Glad the hood was a hit, are you going to update with an equipment review?

As to being distracted and not following compiled list, that's me,

observing free spirit, your in good company.

I will write one up when I finish work Wednesday morning ?

As for being a free spirit I feel this is how it will be with the dob I will have my list as I always do 5-6 objects but it's so much fun just scanning the sky I'm sure it will be part of my session from now on ?

very nice report Richard, my evenings always seem to go the other way this year, looks set fair, scope out , clouds move in. For me with a normall 20 plus clear nights a month from april to October, it's been a poor years so far.

Alan

Super report! :) It was very clear indeed!

With a filter under decent skies, those nebulae between scutum and Sagittarius become rather easy to observe. 

The Sagittarius cloud is also very pretty. No filter is needed for this one.

7 hours ago, johnfosteruk said:

lovely read Richard. Glad that Turn Left has been so useful :)

In fact it was classified as an open cluster until the 70s

Thank you john, it really has been a godsend just so simple to pick up and find your way ?

Wow I didn't know that it's not at all surprising though thank you for he extra info ?

7 hours ago, Piero said:

Super report! :) It was very clear indeed!

With a filter under decent skies, those nebulae between scutum and Sagittarius become rather easy to observe. 

The Sagittarius cloud is also very pretty. No filter is needed for this one.

I will certainly have a look at the Sagittarius cloud that is when I'm out next.

Not sure when that will be though all rain and cloud his week now ?

Archived