Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Does anyone else find the Moon a lot easier to observe and photograph when it isn`t full ... and with much better detail , contrast and shadows ?

One in pre dawn light from this morning with Canon 70D and f5.6L 400mm prime lens and cropped ... 

Moon In Pre Dawn Light  (1 of 1)b.JPG

The moon is the easiest object to imaging in general anyway, even at full moon, the sun should be easy for us too but we need s special filter for it, but i agree that i like the moon when it is not at full phase, but people will keep shooting the moon in all phases even the full moon one.

Now the only thing i need to learn about is how to shoot the moon at the best sharp quality with my scope whatever i buy? i also do have lenses, i got some nice sharp images of the moon in the past with the DSLR and lenses [or mirrorless camera], but still none are with highest detailed quality yet.

5 hours ago, laudropb said:

The Moon is always more interesting when you view near the terminator.

Yep! The line between the light & dark, the shadow and the brilliance - you have now entered.....The TwiLiGhT ZoNe!

Sorry - I couldn't resist! Anyway, it's very true. You can also improve lunar views through the use of a two-piece variable polarizing-filter*. And ND-filters as well as some colour-filters. Experiment and find what tickles you! In fact, a friend of mine is currently compiling a massive file of information on this very subject. I'm egging him on to publish. The Moon can keep one busy for a lifetime. And it's not too difficult to locate either!

Enjoy,

Dave

596bfd34517d2_AntaresVariablePolarizingMoon-Filter.jpg.112cffa7fe8a07068556eb9f37a53c8d.jpg

Orion 2-piece V-PF.png

2 hours ago, TareqPhoto said:

nice sharp images of the moon in the past with the DSLR and lenses [or mirrorless camera], but still none are with highest detailed quality yet.

I think it helps to shoot when it is waxing and waning and also the DSLR on a tripod ( or even a wall ) with a 10 second timer reduces the chances of motion blur and softer images ... I often take a few shots and select what seems to be the sharpest of the bunch too . 

1 minute ago, Red Dwarfer said:

I think it helps to shoot when it is waxing and waning and also the DSLR on a tripod ( or even a wall ) with a 10 second timer reduces the chances of motion blur and softer images ... I often take a few shots and select what seems to be the sharpest of the bunch too . 

It is sharp, but i feel because of the crop-ability i lose the sharpness, and no stacking, so even if it is sharp but it is not as sharp as many shots i saw in astronomy sites, i do have a great strong high quality tripod and i use a cable release or remote and also a mirror lock up sometimes to minimize more vibration [or even without], but my most longest FL lens is 400mm at zoom lens, and with prime it is 300mm, so i need to crop to have the moon nearly larger in the frame.

I got the scope and the mount and a color astro camera, i will give all a try later and see if i can have better results.

1 hour ago, Dave In Vermont said:

The Moon can keep one busy for a lifetime

Definitely ! But a major target for me at the moment is Mons Huygens in the Apennine mountain range at high magnification , as I`ve only seen it at x 100 to date ... also getting deep into those craters is high on the to do list . 

5 minutes ago, TareqPhoto said:

It is sharp, but i feel because of the crop-ability i lose the sharpness

Okay , that is a problem I have too when they are heavily cropped ... so I tend to not over crop them to avoid this ... is your camera in the 20mp + range because the higher megapixels can usually withstand quite a bit of noise . 

1 minute ago, Red Dwarfer said:

Okay , that is a problem I have too when they are heavily cropped ... so I tend to not over crop them to avoid this ... is your camera in the 20mp + range because the higher megapixels can usually withstand quite a bit of noise . 

I tried the moon first with my Canon 350D, then later with 30D, then 1D markII N, all those are 8mp cameras, then i started to go with full frame, 1Ds MarkII and 5D, then later i shoot the moon with 1D3 which is 1.3 crop and 10mp, then 1Ds 3 21mp and last my main cameras nowadays 1DX and Sony A7r, one is 18mp as you know and the other is 36mp.

I did buy ASI120MC, so i can have the moon almost filling the frame, but i didn't use the mount yet so the moon is moving along the frame every second, later i will use the mount and i hope i can track the moo so i can have a short video and stacking frames.

27 minutes ago, TareqPhoto said:

my main cameras nowadays 1DX and Sony A7r

The 1DX is a great camera ! I shoot Canon and Sony too ... my Sony is an A77 with 24mp but it is used mainly for landscape photography ...

I think the secret to Lunar photography , as with all photography , is to keep trying ... 

Just now, Red Dwarfer said:

The 1DX is a great camera ! I shoot Canon and Sony too ... my Sony is an A77 with 24mp but it is used mainly for landscape photography ...

I think the secret to Lunar photography , as with all photography , is to keep trying ... 

And i will keep trying, i tried it since 2005 or 2006 until now, why shouldn't i now with astronomy tools?!!! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived