Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sol in Ha 2017-07-08

PhotoGav

What a show we are enjoying on the Sun at the moment - interesting spot system (2665) and huge prominences nearby. My quick image measurements make that prom roughly 32,384 miles high!

Here is my collection of images from this afternoon, taken with Lunt LS50THa, ZWO ASI120-MC, plus Televue 2.5x Powermate for close up.

I have to screw the camera directly onto the diagonal to achieve focus, so can't rotate it to be the 'right way up', consequently the full disks are not in the correct orienation. I could have rotated them in Photoshop, but then the addition of the prominences goes a bit funny. Talking of which, there is an awful lot of flare in the top right hand corner of that shot - how can I get rid of that without messing the whole thing up?!

Your feedback will be greatly received as I am still very much a newbie to this solar mullarkey!

20170708-151248-Sol-02b-Final.thumb.png.c399d5ef5d1965b1b411de375e5c891a.png

20170708-151248-Sol-05-Final.thumb.png.79d0ce7d952cd1f032bec199024c3ade.png

20170708-152512-Sol-CloseUp-04-Final.thumb.png.986c09b395c598e8a0b8bddc070039fc.png

Thanks and clear skies!

2 hours ago, PhotoGav said:

there is an awful lot of flare in the top right hand corner of that shot -

Great result there! The combo of proms and spot is something i've always struggled to get right.  Re flaring; It's not stray light getting into the system is it? My camera + tilt adapter + barlow into Lunt looked light-tight, but when I wrapped the whole thing in foil (not the scope obviously...) the flaring disappeared

Iain 

20 minutes ago, Iainp said:

Great result there! The combo of proms and spot is something i've always struggled to get right.  Re flaring; It's not stray light getting into the system is it? My camera + tilt adapter + barlow into Lunt looked light-tight, but when I wrapped the whole thing in foil (not the scope obviously...) the flaring disappeared

Iain 

Now there's an interesting idea. I will give that a try next time. Thank you for the tip. 

Fine images Gave, re the orientation, if you're running your data through Pipp for alignment there's a checkbox to flip horizontally and/or vertically. No effort involved, tick a box and your output is the right way round.

Archived