Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astrokev's ROR - The Build

Astrokev

Hi Kev,

If that is the door opened right back to the wall then I'd put a 45° mitre on the end of that shelf.

There is a potential risk of injury from being trapped between the door and the sharp corner of the shelf.

Well, let's say there would be, if that was my door and my shelf.  :icon_clown:

49 minutes ago, Rusted said:

Hi Kev,

If that is the door opened right back to the wall then I'd put a 45° mitre on the end of that shelf.

There is a potential risk of injury from being trapped between the door and the sharp corner of the shelf.

Well, let's say there would be, if that was my door and my shelf.  :icon_clown:

Thanks ? . I was going to put some kind of rubber door stop on the end of the shelf but, to be honest, this was to prevent the door handle bashing into the wall and gouging holes in it, or bending the handle. I hadn't considered the risk of personal injury so thanks for that!

I think I'd be inclined to mitre it.  Even with the "bumpers", being so close to the door (and the handle in particular) at some point it's bound to get caught on a loose sleeve or something like that.  These things have a way of happening, even when they shouldn't :D

James

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, yesyes said:

I would agree with everyone... You're going to bump into that corner, especially in the dark!

I don't feel even remotely close to finishing mine yet :D

James

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, yesyes said:

BTW... Are you trying to beat Gina's record of the longest build thread? :D

Damn, I've been rumbled!

i think it actually says more about me being a slow worker! ?

But I'm nearly there.....

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JamesF said:

I don't feel even remotely close to finishing mine yet :D

James

You've no chance of beating the length of my thread James; you work far too quickly and efficiently! ?

Laying down the challenge there.....

• Haha 1

The wealth of response regarding that corner has got me thinking and I think you're all probably right. Sharp things in the dark are asking for an unpleasant incident. I'll put my thinking hat on and see what I can do. That's got to be good for another few thread pages ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Astrokev said:

The wealth of response regarding that corner has got me thinking and I think you're all probably right. Sharp things in the dark are asking for an unpleasant incident. I'll put my thinking hat on and see what I can do. That's got to be good for another few thread pages ?

Kevin Dostoevsky? It has a definite ring to it!  :tongue2:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rusted said:

Kevin Dostoevsky? It has a definite ring to it!  :tongue2:

I was thinking "Two Years in the Life of Kevin Denisovich" :)

Ok, so it's not quite two years yet, but there's still work to do :D

James

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I was thinking "Two Years in the Life of Kevin Denisovich" :)

Ok, so it's not quite two years yet, but there's still work to do :D

James

I'm sure I can stretch it out a bit more. I mean I don't even have power installed yet! Maybe I should follow Gina's example and start a new thread just for powering it up ;)

• Haha 1

Oh, you're not that far off now, Kev.  I was hoping to push on with mine for a few hours this week, but the weather here has been dismal.  And they're currently forecasting winds gusting to 50mph+ at the weekend, so I shall be mostly avoiding outdoors I think.

James

• Like 1

Little bit more action on the shelving today, before rain stopped play again. East & west shelves are up :). These are approx. 170mm wide. The south wall can tolerate a wider shelf for bigger items so am planning on making this around 240mm.

Following earlier discussions, I'll mitre the corner of the east shelf at the same time as I figure out where to put a door stop. Once all shelves are up, I'll also add some edge trim to stop stuff rolling off in the dark!

Anyways, here're a few grainy pics. I got quite accustomed to working in the semi-darkness but was blinded by the light when I went outside again.

IMG_5637.jpg

IMG_5636.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Oh, you're not that far off now, Kev.  I was hoping to push on with mine for a few hours this week, but the weather here has been dismal.  And they're currently forecasting winds gusting to 50mph+ at the weekend, so I shall be mostly avoiding outdoors I think.

James

Yep you're right. Apart from installing power (and possibly a warm room desk), I'm hoping to get the rest finished this weekend. Not sure how big to make the desk yet, or indeed how best to make it. It'll probably end up as just a simple large shelf. It's possible I won't actually use it that much and spend most of my time in the scope room, but will be good to have somewhere to dump stuff. I quite like the idea of having a "roving desk" in the scope room - some kind of small desk/trolley on wheels. Need to give this some more thought.

A sort of "hostess trolley" for astronomers.  Somewhere to keep your eyepieces warm :)

I have an off-cut of kitchen worktop put aside to use as a desk.  If you want to sit at it I don't think you can get away with much less than that sort of depth if you want to be comfortable for any period of time.

James

• Like 1

Well after a few days of grotty weather or me being busy doing other things, I finally managed to squeeze a bit of time in the observatory today.

Finished the shelving in the scope room and added a lip around the edge to stop things rolling off. Then I mitred the offensive corner by the door and rounded all the corners/edges. Just looking for a suitable small door stop on fleabay to stop the door bashing into the wall.

I started painting the inside walls this evening just to test the colour. Reasonably happy with it, so will finish this off the next chance I get.

IMG_5681.jpg

IMG_5682.jpg

IMG_5683.jpg

Edited by Astrokev
  • Like 5

21 minutes ago, Yawning Angel said:

Looking very smart Kev! Out of curiosity, what type of paint have you gone for? Exterior or a standard emulsion?

Thanks Alex. I'm using Cuprinol Garden Shades. It's what I used on the outside and it's easy to slap on and seems to resist moisture pretty well - well I guess that's what it's designed to do! I quite like the natural wood, but I wanted to give the walls (especially the top edge) a bit more protection from dew. I've gone for "forget-me-not"! Pleasant shade of blue which compliments the pier pretty well (not that you'd notice in the dark I guess!).

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Astrokev said:

Thanks Alex. I'm using Cuprinol Garden Shades. It's what I used on the outside and it's easy to slap on and seems to resist moisture pretty well - well I guess that's what it's designed to do! I quite like the natural wood, but I wanted to give the walls (especially the top edge) a bit more protection from dew. I've gone for "forget-me-not"! Pleasant shade of blue which compliments the pier pretty well (not that you'd notice in the dark I guess!).

1117862208_2017-08-2019_53_06.thumb.jpg.3d5866a597800dd051b067957845864a.jpg

I used that color on the exterior or my little obsy.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Astrokev said:

I'm using Cuprinol Garden Shades

That's what I was thinking too. I've a tin and a bit left over, in Urban Slate. I've still not 100% decided if I'm lining the scope room or leaving the stud exposed - so I was thinking of painting the stud and worrying about it later. I had also though it might coat the ply floor before covering it...just in case

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Yawning Angel said:

That's what I was thinking too. I've a tin and a bit left over, in Urban Slate. I've still not 100% decided if I'm lining the scope room or leaving the stud exposed - so I was thinking of painting the stud and worrying about it later. I had also though it might coat the ply floor before covering it...just in case

I was undecided too, but am glad I lined it now. Quite costly for relatively small gain (mainly cosmetic), but finishes the interior nicely.