Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar.jpg

jetstream

Lunt 20mm HDC

93 posts in this topic

I think TV has said that they won't go further than 21 for the 100 degree field so the door is ajar. ES had a go but I've read quite a few mixed things about their 25mm / 100 and it's a £600+ eyepiece here.

Maybe Lunt can step up to the mark ?

Might as well hang onto my Ethos's now that they aren't worth much !

1 person likes this

They will take some beating John, quality will always hold its value because the characteristics that make it quality are built in. I had a very bad experience with Lord Voldermort Ludes and personally I wouldn't take their kit if I was paid to use it 😀 Regardless of their standing.

2 people like this

:grin:

Well I think it is Skywatcher that is sneaking up the quality on things really- their mirrors are getting some VG reviews these days and I respect David Shen/Synta for bringing astronomy within reach of many. These Synta 100 deg eyepieces might be an indication of more things to come.

2 people like this

10 minutes ago, jetstream said:

Well I think it is Skywatcher that is sneaking up the quality on things really- their mirrors are getting some VG reviews these days and I respect David Shen/Synta for bringing astronomy within reach of many. These Synta 100 deg eyepieces might be an indication of more things to come.

Steve (FLO) told me a while back that Synta could beat the very best if they put their minds / resources to it.

The Esprit triplet refractors encountered a lot of resistance on the CN forum initially but I notice now that they are often recommended as high end options.

2 people like this

It would be great if they redesign the mount of their dobson line, so that it is lighter, smaller and smoother. Plenty of designs are out there already to get inspiration. 

1 person likes this

17 hours ago, Pig said:

They will take some beating John, quality will always hold its value because the characteristics that make it quality are built in. I had a very bad experience with Lord Voldermort Ludes and personally I wouldn't take their kit if I was paid to use it 😀 Regardless of their standing.

Never heard this about ML before.  I always thought his brash cloning of the 30mm Widescan II was classless.  As I recall, he was too cheap to buy a copy himself and asked for a loaner copy on an astro forum.

Is he as bad as Herb York over at Astromart/Anacortes?

Pig, Louis D, no supplier bashing please! :police:

It's a tough one really. We need to know about the  "bad" guys. But, how to make it objective/fair??

I guess that word gets around.....

Paul

My experiences with the supplier mentioned here are positive so a balanced view is important.

3 people like this

15 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

It's a tough one really. We need to know about the  "bad" guys. But, how to make it objective/fair??

I guess that word gets around.....

Paul

Start a Topix thread about ML like the one I linked above to move it off SGL.

19 minutes ago, John said:

My experiences with the supplier mentioned here are positive so a balanced view is important.

Seconded. Never had an issue. Whatever I've bought or wherever in the world I've had it shipped to or needed customer service...

On 14/07/2017 at 16:07, jetstream said:

I'm very interested in your thoughts on this, actually on how deep the 9mm will go. If there is a 10mm BCO available to compare it to it would be nice.

Should you wish to provide said 10mm BCO I should gladly provide options on mailing addresses Gerry 😁

I've been hugely impressed with it thus far. Even when used in a 1.6 Antares Barlow with the f4.5 Dob

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Stargazer McCabe said:

Should you wish to provide said 10mm BCO I should gladly provide options on mailing addresses Gerry 😁

I've been hugely impressed with it thus far. Even when used in a 1.6 Antares Barlow with the f4.5 Dob

I actually would send you it - but it is one of my deepest eyepieces so I still have an icy grip on it lol! I'm glad you like the Lunt, we are very fortunate to have such a good selection of optics these days.

2 people like this

4 hours ago, admin said:

Pig, Louis D, no supplier bashing please! :police:

My apologies, that was not my intention.... just an exceptionally bad experience that is difficult to forgive.

1 person likes this

I never had any issue with Ludes or any other sellers mentioned on SGL. APM-telescopes sent me my Lunt 20mm HDC very quickly and the package was excellent. 

Anyway, I think it is a good time to go back to the topic of this thread! :angel12: So, Gerry, how does this Lunt perform on galaxies under your dark skies? :D 

1 hour ago, Piero said:

So, Gerry, how does this Lunt perform on galaxies under your dark skies? :D 

Really good... I need more time though- there is a nice little 5 galaxy cluster in UMA where one of them is a nice test of things, they are NGC 3998,NGC 3990,NGC3972,NGC 3982 and the tricky NGC 3977.

I'll try the 21E vs the Lunt on this set but the trees are in the way atm lol!

3 people like this

12 hours ago, Pig said:

My apologies, that was not my intention.... just an exceptionally bad experience that is difficult to forgive.

You can always post an objective and accurate review of what happened Shaun....?

2 people like this