SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lunt 20mm HDC

jetstream

Good evening,

I'm interested in getting a Lunt 20.  I've been hesitating between this one and the Ethos 21 for wide field views. For me the advantage of the Lunt 20 (except the price), is the weight which is much closer to the Ethos 13 I already have.  So balancing would potentially be much less of a headache.

I would like to know if anyone has used the Lunt 20 in an F4 scope and could comment if this eyepiece is as well corrected at the edges of the field of view as the E21?

Thanks and regards,

Guillaume

10 minutes ago, guillaume320 said:

Good evening,

I'm interested in getting a Lunt 20.  I've been hesitating between this one and the Ethos 21 for wide field views. For me the advantage of the Lunt 20 (except the price), is the weight which is much closer to the Ethos 13 I already have.  So balancing would potentially be much less of a headache.

I would like to know if anyone has used the Lunt 20 in an F4 scope and could comment if this eyepiece is as well corrected at the edges of the field of view as the E21?

Thanks and regards,

Guillaume

I've not done this comparison although I have compared the Myriad 20mm 100 with the Ethos 21mm in my F/5.3 dobsonian. What I still don't know is whether the Lunt 20 is the same optically as the Myriad 20 ?. Here is my review of the Myriads anyway:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/236613-skywatcher-myriad-100-110-degree-apparent-field-eyepieces/

Also another member here has compared the Lunt with the Ethos I believe:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/295440-lunt-20mm-hdc/

Will you be using a coma corrector with the F/4 newtonian ?

I feel you will certainly need one using 100 degree eyepieces with it !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

Will you be using a coma corrector with the F/4 newtonian ?

I feel you will certainly need one using 100 degree eyepieces with it !

Yes Paracorr 2...

I’ll have to read up more about all those different eyepiece brands... it’s a very crowded market ?

13 hours ago, guillaume320 said:

For me the advantage of the Lunt 20 (except the price), is the weight which is much closer to the Ethos 13 I already have.  So balancing would potentially be much less of a headache.

Weight is certainly an advantage. I don't have an E13, but the weight of my Docter 12.5 + Baader Pushfix adapter is similar. Swapping between the Lunt 20 and the Docter does not need any rebalancing on my scopes. 

The eyecup of the Lunt 20 is also very good. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I had my eyes on the APM / Lunts since last year only. Just ordered the 13mm and will be comparing in a few weeks to my TVE13. If it goes like I expect, I will sell both and buy the 9 and 20mm APM HDC-XWA's. The E21 is just too expensive and reading here... I will be using them in a 6" and 19.5" F5 with a PCII.

Edited by Sagitta

17 hours ago, Sagitta said:

I had my eyes on the APM / Lunts since last year only. Just ordered the 13mm and will be comparing in a few weeks to my TVE13. If it goes like I expect, I will sell both and buy the 9 and 20mm APM HDC-XWA's. The E21 is just too expensive and reading here... I will be using them in a 6" and 19.5" F5 with a PCII.

Definitely share your experiences here when you get the 13mm in.

• 3 years later...
On 16/09/2018 at 16:07, Sagitta said:

3 yrs later, just wondering what happened to the 13mm Ethos vs 13mm HDC comparison?

On 04/06/2018 at 14:33, John said:

I did compare the Myriads with Ethos and Pentax XW equivalents (I didn't have the 3.7 or 4.7 Ethos SX at that time). Maybe not detailed enough but the best that I could manage :smiley:. I did try the WO XWA 9mm but though it to be identical to the Myriad 9mm. The question is, are the Myriads related to the APM/Lunt HDC XWA's in any way ?

Anyway here is my little piece on the Myriads:

These 100° eyepieces are made by United Optics and are or have been sold under the names

APM

Antares

Tecnosky

Telescope Service

William Optics

Stellarvue

Skywatcher

Lunt

Astrotech

Sky Rover

Think of them as all the same man wearing different suits.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Don Pensack said:

These 100° eyepieces are made by United Optics and are or have been sold under the names

APM

Antares

Tecnosky

Telescope Service

William Optics

Stellarvue

Skywatcher

Lunt

Astrotech

Sky Rover

Think of them as all the same man wearing different suits.

In search of a slightly more flamboyant tailor.

DBDD3814-8678-454E-821C-3BAB8CC6CE12.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Highburymark said:

In search of a slightly more flamboyant tailor.

DBDD3814-8678-454E-821C-3BAB8CC6CE12.jpeg

Whoa!  Was it one of the prototypes of the new barrel design?

If that is the 20mm, replace the bottom cap with a hard plastic cap--the rubber caps get pressed in to contact the bottom lens and leave a smear there.

Edited by Don Pensack

14 hours ago, Don Pensack said:

Whoa!  Was it one of the prototypes of the new barrel design?

If that is the 20mm, replace the bottom cap with a hard plastic cap--the rubber caps get pressed in to contact the bottom lens and leave a smear there.

It’s the APM 20mm Don, lettering on the other side. Thanks for the tip about the rubber cap.

• Haha 1