Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newbie from Dorset

Rosie2

Hi I am a retired nurse from Christchurch in Dorset . Always interested in Astronomy but not had much time before. Determined to prove you can teach an old dog new tricks , but what a huge subject ! I was given Bresser Venus -700 76 mm.but after reading Stargazing with a Telescope by Robin Scagell and reading the posts on this site I think the aperture 76mm and view-finder .5x24 are too small . I would like some advise . As a complete beginner am I just going to get frustrated by what I cant see with this one or with practise could it be OK to start. Thank you .Rosie

Hi Rosie

Welcome to the forum. You may be getting the first symptoms of aperture 'fever' so you may have to call upon your nursing skills once again!

You are right that 76mm is not the largest aperture, but its a good start for the Moon and things like star clusters and double stars. If you can find a local astro society down there in deepest Dorset it is worthwhile visiting them and getting to look through bigger and different kinds of scopes that they should have. That will give you an idea of what there is. Also talk to dealers like Steve at First Light Optics or Bern at Modern Astronomy. They will give good advice and won't sell you something that is not suitable for you just to make a sale.

There is no perfect telescope to see every type of object passably well and everyone has their particular favourites. Then there is usuability, cost, portability and lots of other 'ilities' to consider. All in all, a quick route to madness and confusion.

Good luck and most of all enjoy the hobby.

Geoff

Hello Rosie,

I'm in Weymouth so not far from you.

Weymouth astronomy meets once a month and is a rather friendly group.

http://www.weymouthastronomy.co.uk/

A 76mm scope, as has been said, will be fine for the moon, brighter planets, some bright nebulae and double stars....Patrick Moore always used to say that to start, you needed a 3 inch refractor, or a 6 inch reflector.

You will always find someone to help with any questions you have on this forum :clouds2:

Cheers

Rob

Thank you all so much for the warm wellcome and advise . Aperture fever !!LOL very funny . It is quite dark where I am ,but very wet as well . It is a very agrevating hobby cloudy and wet up untill bed time and then when you get up to let the dog out ,beautiful clear sky ! so you wonder (can I really set the telescope up in my PJ's

Hi Rosie and a very warm welcome from a fellow Dorset member!

I have only ever had small telescopes and you can still have some very rewarding fun with them. As everybody else says, the moon is stunning and you will see Jupiter and Saturn quite nicely. Don't try to go too high on magnification and have some viewing sessions to see how you like it. If you become set on getting something bigger, First Light Optics will look after you, or Celestial Skies iin BOurnemouth town centre have a telescope sale on at present.

There are some astronomers who think a 10-inch SCT is a small scope but there are lots of us having great fun with small instruments.

I hope to hear some viewing reports soon!

Best wishes

Andy

Archived