NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Accesoires for SW Skyliner 200P

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's the sight tube with cross hairs to align your secondary under your focuser (though it can be used for other steps, just not as easily as other tools).

A laser tool is handy for getting the secondary mirror pointing at exactly the center of the primary.  It is also handy to align the primary back to the secondary on large truss tube dobsonians.  Just make the return laser point on the secondary coincident with the one coming from the laser in the focuser.  This can be done easily from the primary end of the scope before putting on the shroud.  Technically, you can use the sight tube to align the secondary to the primary, but I've always found it a lot easier with laser.

I like the Rigel Aline for aligning the primary mirror.  It also acts as a dust cap with just that tiny hole in the center to let in dust.  You could almost make your own with your dust cap, a drill, and a bit of reflective material.  I don't generally check secondary alignment nightly, so I just peep into my Aline while aiming at a bright wall or light source and tweek my primary collimation if needed.  Since it's also my dust cap, I don't have to hunt for it in my accessories toolbox.

The last two steps assume your primary is center marked, preferably with a reinforcing ring.

Great suggestions on this thread!

Collimation, Telrad, couple of EPs, dark sky first for sure :)

For my 250px, I added (down the line) the 10:1 focusser upgrade and find it really great - solid quality, simple to install, only €79:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p2625_1-10-micro-transmission-for-retrofitment-of-Crayford-focusers.html

On ‎09‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 13:58, Damianbeen said:

And whats the difference between the normal cheshire collimation eyepiece and the premium variant?

When I looked at these I think it was down the field of view through the eyepiece - I think a premium gave a larger FOV.  That said, I've got a standard one and it works fine.  You can use whatever brand of Cheshire collimating eyepiece you fancy if it fits into your eyepiece holder - which should be 1.25".  The same for any accessory on your telescope - any brand will do, be it Cheshire, Barlow lens, eyepieces etc.  If you start to dismantle the scope itself there are lots of parts by other manufacturers that do fit - like red dot finders and focus units, but they may not all fit, that's when you do a bit more homework and buy a RDF which fits your existing finder shoe if you don't fancy changing it

On ‎09‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 14:03, Damianbeen said:

And why should i get a BST and why not just a normal barlow?

BST are a manufacturer of things like eyepieces and Barlows, many companies manufacture and sell Barlows, BST are just one of these.  A bit like supermarkets that all sell their own recipe of Baked beans.

My best accessories were a right angled finder, a red dot finder and a dual shoe to mount them both at the same time - with a combination of these I can find anything I know the location of in under 30 seconds.

On ‎09‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 13:58, Damianbeen said:

And whats the difference between the normal cheshire collimation eyepiece and the premium variant?

9 hours ago, JOC said:

When I looked at these I think it was down the field of view through the eyepiece - I think a premium gave a larger FOV.  That said, I've got a standard one and it works fine. 

I would think it's down to manufacturing. The premium ones are probably engineered to a higher degree of accuracy. But what do I know :)

Archived