Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is it possible to convert my WO FLT 110 triplet for Solar use as well

I guess the question says it all I was looking at buying a dedicated solar scope for viewing the Sun but I see with some refractors that solar lenses etc can be added to existing scopes to make them suitable for both does anyone know if this is possible with this scope or because it's a triplet would that cause issues.

thanks 

Carolyn 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've used my Quark in my WO110FLT with no ill effects.

Air spaced triplets shouldn't be a problem, oil spaced triplets need a front mounted ERF, not a cheap item.

The Quark on the 110FLT will only get you close up views as it's got a nearly 4X Barlow built in, if you want a full disc you need something like a Lunt LS50 or LS60 or a shorter refractor.

Dave

As long as the scope is not of the Petzval design type, is oil spaced or if it uses plastic components in the light path it will be fine.

I have used a triplet to observe the sun without any issues....Currently I use a Quark Chromosphere with my refractor to view the sun, you can also purchase screw on front aperture and rear blocking filters. ( they are extremely expensive )

A Quark is by far the most cost effective if you already own a refractor like yourself. However, they have had their quality issues. Having said that,  my Quark has performed great with no issues whatsoever and would definitely be my option.

Please be careful as you go down the solar route as you only get one set of eyes... not wanting to teach you to suck eggs but it does need saying when folk first enquire about solar observing.

As above, the Quark is a good way to go.

As above, be aware of the Quark's 'Barlow effect' - you will need long focal length EPs (Daystar go to some length to recommend TV plossl) - and the quality question - which can be addressed as long as you buy from reputable retailers who will accept returns.

As above, never take a chance with your eyesight.

All that said, come on to the bright side! In truth, it's relatively quiet just now - especially in white light - and unlikely to start picking up for some time ... but there's always something going on in H-alpha.

??

1 hour ago, marineBLU28 said:

I guess the question says it all I was looking at buying a dedicated solar scope for viewing the Sun but I see with some refractors that solar lenses etc can be added to existing scopes to make them suitable for both does anyone know if this is possible with this scope or because it's a triplet would that cause issues.

Carolyn,

Are you thinking of viewing the Sun in white light or Ha? 

If white light is what you are after your scope would work very well with a Lunt or Baader Herschel Wedge. If you are looking for Ha then I agree with the above posts - your scope would work brilliantly with a Quark but would not give full disk views. I use a scope with similar focal length to yours with my Quark and it is excellent for close-up prom action :cool2:

Derek

PLEASE! PLEASE!

can we stop the "urban legend" that a wedge can't be used with Petzval type scopes.

THIS IS TOTALLY INCORRECT.

Al Nagler has gone on record saying there are no issues with the TV scopes, likewise I have in in writing from Williams Optics and Takahashi that their scopes are 100% safe to use.

Help me to get this information to the members.....

2 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

PLEASE! PLEASE!

can we stop the "urban legend" that a wedge can't be used with Petzval type scopes.

Al Nagler has gone on record saying there are no issues with the TV scopes, likewise I have in in writing from Williams Optics and Takahashi that their scopes are 100% safe to use.

Whilst those assurances are nice to have I don't see any point in risking a scope that cost several thousand pounds when a cheap refractor will work just as well for solar.

Not so cheap that is has any plastic components though :grin:

As per the OPs original question I have used my WO110FLT for solar with no ill effects using an internal ERF, I also use a 152mm refractor which collects a lot more light / heat and although a front mounted ERF  would be nice it works with an internal 35nm HA filter.

Dave

4 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Whilst those assurances are nice to have I don't see any point in risking a scope that cost several thousand pounds when a cheap refractor will work just as well for solar.

Not so cheap that is has any plastic components though :grin:

As per the OPs original question I have used my WO110FLT for solar with no ill effects using an internal ERF, I also use a 152mm refractor which collects a lot more light / heat and although a front mounted ERF  would be nice it works with an internal 35nm HA filter.

Dave

I've trialed a 2" Baader 35nm Ha filter as an internal ERF on a 120mm achromat with no ill effect.   :icon_biggrin:

11 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

PLEASE! PLEASE!

The Quark web page used to state the Quark should not be used with a Petzval..... My apologies I should have limited this to a Quark, mind you I did not mention a wedge either so keep your knickers on there is no need to shout :happy8:

Thanks for all your replies very informative! I'm assuming you have all had no issues with your Quark's? As after reading the in depth review on the site the reviewer seemed to have had quite a few issues for something that is not cheap (I understand that in terms of buying an equal solar scope it is though) also it is recommended on the site that if your scope is over 3 inches mine being 110 then you need something on the front as well? As obviously I don't want to damage the scope and also most importantly be safe! I see also that Bader make a thing you can use as well but this is to view the Sun in white light as opposed to Hydrogen Alpha hope I've got this right! if you went for the Bader one would you again need something ober the front lens sorry for all the questions! Looking at the potential cost though if you do need to get one of these filters for the front by the time you've bought everything it would seem to me me you wouldn't be far off the cost of say a dedicated solar scope like the Lunt 60 for example ?

The white light Baader solar filter would reduce the light intensity too much for use with a Ha filter.....

Any safety concerns would be with the Quark, not with the telescope. I don't use a Quark so can't comment.

Looking at the Daystar web site it says the Quark can be used on ANY telescope and larger apertures >80mm should be fitted with an ERF, they suggest a UV-IR filter is sufficient. These are much cheaper than the conventional Baader D-ERF type.

Thanks there is a filter for sale on FLO's website a Baader UV/IR Cut Filter is this the thing you mean? Also where does this go on the telescope sorry if this is obvious I'm not totally clued up on solar ? so if I'm understanding correctly does this mean if you use the Quark then you don't need to put something over the main front lens of the WO triplet

cheers

Carolyn 

First, troubles with Quark Ha filters are legendary. Daystar let down an awful lot of people (me among them) and suppliers dreadfully. I took three attempts to get one that worked reasonably. Hopefully that historical issue - attributed to a lack of quality control in the company's rush to satisfy demand before an eclipse event - has been sorted out. But caveat emptor - deal with a reputable supplier. In my case, Widescreen Centre behaved in an exemplary fashion, but I still had the hassle of returns and delays.

Second, I use the UV/IR cut filter screwed into the diagonal - as early in the optical train as possible. There is some debate about where the line is drawn, as far as aperture is concerned, regarding the necessity for such a filter.

Thanks Gordon ? I'm still weighing up the pros and cons of either going for the Quark set up or just being patient saving up and going for a dedicated solar scope I like the look of the Lunt 60 

'Thanks again to all for all your help and advice it's been much appreciated! 

One thing I should have said - and have said before when complaining about Daystar's customer relations crash - I worry that someone could buy a Quark and, without any previous experience of Ha observing, not realise that they were not getting what they should.

Do you have experience of viewing in H alpha? If not, then you will struggle to have a benchmark.

As above, I just feel sorry for someone who feels let down and expectations are not met. But then again, a common theme for amateur astronomers, perhaps ... ???

42 minutes ago, marineBLU28 said:

Thanks Gordon ? I'm still weighing up the pros and cons of either going for the Quark set up or just being patient saving up and going for a dedicated solar scope I like the look of the Lunt 60 

'Thanks again to all for all your help and advice it's been much appreciated! 

I currently use a 110mm refractor with a Quark and I have previously owned a Lunt 60.
I sold the Lunt after purchasing the Quark as the difference in the views observed were incontrovertible in favour of the Quark in every way.
You will almost certainly be dissapointed in the stock focuser supplied with the lunt and will want a different type. In addition you will have to splash out on a B600 blocking filter and a double stack etalon,as a minimum, before you start seeing similar views through a Lunt.

In my opinion the main advantages of a Lunt are:-
1 - No heating element to go wrong. (slight advantage in set up time due to warm up time of approx 5 minutes)
2 - Full Solar disc view (A full disc can also be achieved with the Quark with a refractor that has a focal length of around 450mm)
3 - The Lunt really is a beautiful looking instrument.
4 - Eyepiece focal length selection is less restrictive (not that this mattered much to me as after the first 10 minutes of initial experimenting I only ever used one 9mm eyepiece with the Lunt)

Please do not get me wrong I really loved my Lunt 60 and I am sure whichever path you take you will enjoy the experience, be it a scope mod, a dedicated solar scope, or a Quark.
But for the outlay / and eventual loss should you sell, a Quark is by some margin the better performer.

@Pig's experience mirrors my own with the Quark v Lunt 50. I still have both as the Lunt is excellent for grabbing a short session when the clouds break unexpectedly. But, when it is a day like today with wall to wall blue sky the Quark would always be my preferred option as the difference in the detail that can be seen through it and my Altair 152 is vast compared to the Lunt 50.

Archived