Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is it possible to convert my WO FLT 110 triplet for Solar use as well

Here we go ..... a nice image of a 110mm and Quark in action... the eyepiece is a TV 32mm plossl
Note: I always put the aperture and eyepiece caps on when I am not looking through the scope, as a precaution, I do not see any benefit tracking the sun without them on whilst not using it.

Solar.JPG

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice setup your 110 might be slightly different from mine is there something on the front lens or is it the lens cap on because you're not using it at that point ? If that's the case and you have nothing on the front when observing if you get a chance could you take a pic to show me how the quark is set up with you're diagonal i.e. Do you have a filter over the diagonal where it goes in to the telescope and then the quark at the other end sorry for being so basic ?

To answer one of the previous points I don't have any experience of actually looking through a solar telescope in  HA but I'm  farmiliar with images taken in it from NASA's site etc and being interested in solar dynamics with several books on the Sun I think I have a rough idea of how things should appear  I know it's not a substitute for actual experience plus I have you guys so if I thought there was something amiss you would point me in the right direction! 

Carolyn 

Carolyn, hope this helps. The filter on the front of the diagonal is a Baader UV/IR cut out filter, about £60 if I remember correctly. This is the only filter you need for this size of objective, all the other filtering is performed by the Quark.

IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

28 minutes ago, marineBLU28 said:

Nice setup your 110 might be slightly different from mine is there something on the front lens or is it the lens cap on because you're not using it at that point ? If that's the case and you have nothing on the front when observing if you get a chance could you take a pic to show me how the quark is set up with you're diagonal i.e. Do you have a filter over the diagonal where it goes in to the telescope and then the quark at the other end sorry for being so basic ?

To answer one of the previous points I don't have any experience of actually looking through a solar telescope in  HA but I'm  farmiliar with images taken in it from NASA's site etc and being interested in solar dynamics with several books on the Sun I think I have a rough idea of how things should appear  I know it's not a substitute for actual experience plus I have you guys so if I thought there was something amiss you would point me in the right direction! 

Carolyn 

It is a cover is on the front objective as a precaution when tracking the sun. The telescope is not a triplet but my previous solar scope was. The 110mm makes quite a difference to the views. Probably the Quarks main advantage over dedicated solar scopes is this ability to use it in larger apertures refractors.

The quark also needs a power supply, mains or a power pack for portability. I use a £30 power pack and it easily lasts all day.

Ha ha sorry bit of a 'blonde' moment there assuming only WO make a 110 although it does look similar ?

Great pictures thanks! Am leaning more toward this set up rather than a separate Solar scope well unless my lottery numbers come up. So do you keep the front cover on until you are ready to view then take it off then is that better for the scope ?

cheers

Carolyn 

15 minutes ago, marineBLU28 said:

So do you keep the front cover on until you are ready to view then take it off then is that better for the scope ?

cheers

Carolyn 

Carolyn,

As a rule yes, but sometimes I slew the scope so it is not pointing directly at the sun or I may hang my hat off the front. It all depends how long I will be away from it. All are precautionary and not needed.

It is indeed a 2" diagonal but the Quark fits either as the main body is 2" ?. Only 1.25" eyepieces can be used.

11 hours ago, marineBLU28 said:

Sorry is that a 2" diagonal or 1.25" for example can I use my 2" diagonal with a 1.25" adapter that's what I do at the moment for my normal viewing 

Hi again, Carolyn.

You can experiment with both 1.25" and 2" fittings to find out what suits you best - they will provide different views, I think. For example, to achieve a full solar disc with my TV76 (fl 480) I have to use the Quark as a 2" in the diagonal. I think it's because the Quark sits 'deeper' in the diagonal. I can't achieve focus on a full disk with a 1.25" diagonal or with the 1.25" adapter in the 2" diagonal.

p.s. You may have noticed that there is a Quark for sale in the classifieds.

Thanks again all have got all the info now looks like I will go for the Quark set up sorry one last question I have a battery pack from Maplin that I use to power my scope can I use that to power the Quark 

cheers

Carolyn 

1 hour ago, marineBLU28 said:

Thanks again all have got all the info now looks like I will go for the Quark set up sorry one last question I have a battery pack from Maplin that I use to power my scope can I use that to power the Quark 

cheers

Carolyn 

Carolyn, you best check but it may be a bit overpowered, but it also runs from a he mains using a bespoke lead. The Daystar website will tell you of the rating, I found the one they recommend was not very good at all.

Shaun

I am away from home at the moment so can't answer the battery question but please hold off for 24 hours as I have the perfect solution. I will send you a link tomorrow.

as for the 1.25" / 2" question - the Quark is a 1.25" eyepiece with a 2" inbuilt adapter, much like the mid to short range TV Ethos EPs  - putting it in a 2" Diagonal does not turn it into a 2" eyepiece  

I use one of these to run my Quark: http://www.amazon.co.uk/20000mAh-Output-iPhone-Samsung-Blackburry/dp/B01LXYK955/

It operates at a constant 5V and last for days. The one linked to is a newer model than the one I have. There are a few different ones to choose from on Amazon but you need one with output of at least 1.8 Amps to run the Quark. I just strap it to the OTA with two thick elastic bands and connect it using a mini USB cable.

Archived