Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

D-Bot 3D Printer

tekkydave

1 hour ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

You'll need to remove it from the printer (next to WIFI aerial) & mount it on a PC with an SD adaptor

I see.  I think I've found the problem - no SD card!!!  Looked in the packaging and found a micro SD card which I've now inserted into the Duet...  Now we shall see...

Edited by Gina

2 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Are you only powering it from the USB, if so then you'll need some proper power, as the USB lights things up, but the web interface doesn't work, not for me anyway...

Yes.  But see my post above.

4 minutes ago, Gina said:

I see.  I think I've found the problem - no SD card!!!  Looked in the packaging and found a micro SD card which I've no inserted into the Duet...  Now we shall see...

Ha ha. Yes it will help with the sd card plugged in :D

Have cuppa - too hot yet :D  Anyway, looked around the displayed page and saw "Upload G-Code File(s)" so I clicked it, navigated to my Duet folder and uploaded the files :D  How delightfully intuitive :)

Edited by Gina

I think that's about it until I connect it to the printer and PSU.  I'm planning to use an ATX PSU on this printer, so 12v.  But the bed heater I have at present is too powerful to connect directly, being 220W and 18.33A at 12v which is above the Duet rating of 18A.  I used a 30v DC 20A relay (with catching diode) on the Pilot (where I harvested this from).  I'm thinking of buying a mains voltage 400W heater pad from China (on a slow boat!!).  I already have a mains voltage SSR on order.

It seems the Duet control system has yet more features compared with Marlin eg. correction for orthogonality errors.  I have designed my printers with hardware adjustment for X-Y orthogonality but with the ability to adjust this in the firmware I shall not need to have this adjustable in hardware after all.  That will simplify the design.  X-Z and Y-Z orthogonality rely on the frame being square but how precise this is I'm not sure. 

Even now I'm getting the feeling that I shan't be able to stand using a 3D printer with Mega/RAMPS/LCD control after using the Duet!

BTW - Is this the Duet's version of multipoint auto-bed-levelling?5a5d2c7ab5a58_BelLevelling01.thumb.png.553a4c820cf37f221df281ea2b64b1af.png

Edited by Gina

I nearly pressed the buy button on two more Duets, one for my Titan printer and one for my Giant printer.  I'm definitely finishing the Giant and expect to keep the Titan.  I have the room and see little reason not to.  It would make sense to use the 300mm size for items between 200mm and 300mm rather than the 400mm of the Giant with its much greater power consumption.  But the Giant would come in for the bigger prints, of course.  I'd save all of a fiver on postage by buying two at the same time so not much saving but I think the price is more likely to go up than down or they could get more orders than they can cope with and run out of stock.  I'd appreciate views on this, please.

Edited by Gina

I've done it :D  There have been so many times in the past when I've hesitated about buying things then later when I decided to buy, the item was out of stock.  3D printers are rather less expensive than astro gear :D  Paid with PayPal balance from selling unwanted astro.

I'd wait a while...  

I'm liking the Duet a lot, but I'm still getting used to the setup & configuration, especially for the movement control, BLTouch, multiple fans, lights etc. as its soo different to Marlin.

And I may need to design\build an extension board for additional PWM mosfets to what's provided on the base board and the expansion boards are over the top for what I want.

My other printers are working, so why fix something that isn't broke, but then I like tinkering...

Thank you :)

I too was of the opinion that "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but I've been thinking of adding a Raspberry Pi for remote control of my Titan printer as I've been finding the way it works at present is a chore.  The USB connection to my laptop is unreliable.  Changing things in Marlin is also a chore.  Windows editors don't work well for editing config.h in Marlin so any time I want to alter things I have to mess about with connections to use Linux for editing.  So I've already decide I want the Duet on the Titan.  I guess it's quite possible that I may find disadvantages with the Duet but it seems pretty unlikely.  Much of the Titan is already running on 24v and I want to change to a 24v 60w hotend heater as well as print bed.  It uses large size NEMA 17 motors and I think the Duet may run these better.

Changing to Duet on all my printers won't be a total extra cost as I can make use of the Mega/RAMPS for my weather station wall display.

Edited by Gina

37 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

I'd wait a while...  

I'm liking the Duet a lot, but I'm still getting used to the setup & configuration, especially for the movement control, BLTouch, multiple fans, lights etc. as its soo different to Marlin.

And I may need to design\build an extension board for additional PWM mosfets to what's provided on the base board and the expansion boards are over the top for what I want.

My other printers are working, so why fix something that isn't broke, but then I like tinkering...

I might have been a touch rash but I found Marlin had it's bad points.  Seems to me the Duet is better thought out but OTOH Marlin has a much bigger user base, at least at present.

One of the reasons I've moved to using the Duet for my DBot printer, is that I've had loads of issues with Marlin on a Rumba board, e.g. bed\hotend temperature drops after starting a print... 

Marlin, unfortunately, is trying to be a 'jack of all trades' and support all boards, but most 1.1.x development work seems to be done for Ramps, so other boards may suffer, as there is no formal test process... The 2.x development may well fix this, especially as they seem to be targeting a smaller range of boards.

I also looked at Repetier firmware, but I couldn't control all the periferals, so looked around & found the Duet...

• Like 1