NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon DSLR Batteries

Alien 13

I have used clones in my Contour headcam without issues - I finding numbering them can be useful, but must confess to have never needed anything other than the one my Canon DSLR came with (ditto my Canon Ixus compact).  As you probably already know they possess some stunning battery technology and seemingly last forever on each charge.  They are expensive, but if you get what you pay for then I think I'd still be happy with their cost.

I have a number of LP-E6 batteries (basically the same as the LP-E6N) and all but one are genuine. I find that two batteries in a battery grip suit me all day so a set of 3rd party ones as backups would probably suite a very heavy user just fine.

Out of interest...of all the batteries I do have the one that lasts the least number of shots is the 3rd party one, and by quite a large margin (circa 36 shots of 5 minutes vs. 56 shots), it may be a coincidence but then again it may not be (after all there's 5 other genuine ones to go up against).

Initially 3rd party batteries may hold a charge well, but I find long term they suffer...but they are a lot cheaper, so you get what you pay for...

Oh and good advice from above, I labelled mine when I got them so I know their history. I also do a very occasional test on all of them to see how well they still hold a charge hence the 5 minute shot count...easy to do with an intervalometer.

2 minutes ago, StuartJPP said:

I have a number of LP-E6 batteries (basically the same as the LP-E6N) and all but one are genuine. I find that two batteries in a battery grip suit me all day so a set of 3rd party ones as backups would probably suite a very heavy user just fine.

Out of interest...of all the batteries I do have the one that lasts the least number of shots is the 3rd party one, and by quite a large margin (circa 36 shots of 5 minutes vs. 56 shots), it may be a coincidence but then again it may not be (after all there's 5 other genuine ones to go up against).

Initially 3rd party batteries may hold a charge well, but I find long term they suffer...but they are a lot cheaper, so you get what you pay for..

Thanks Stuart, my Canon pair will run for ages but there is always that occasion where I forget to charge them so a second pair of third party ones might be perfect as a backup, after that I can always stick some AA batteries into the grip :icon_biggrin: My thoughts so far are the the Hahnel ones, not cheap but about half the price of the originals, I have looked at the Duracell versions too.

Alan

3 minutes ago, wxsatuser said:

http://www.duracelldirect.co.uk/digital-camera/canon/oem-pno/lp-e6.html

Only 1600mah rather than Canon 1800mah but cheap

Thanks Mike, they look good and the lower capacity is fine for a backup pair, I suppose my love of the WiFi option on my camera doesn't help and I do shoot a lot of video as well as the AP stuff.

Alan

I've used Duracell when I had a 550d and found they lasted about 3/4 of the time a Genuine battery did, if your capable with a soldering ion you can make a 12v cigarette plug go to a dc adapter through a buck converter. Cut the transformer off the cable slot it into the converter set it to 9v and your winning

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DROK-DC-DC-Buck-Converter-Voltage-Regulator-with-Transparent-Shell-5-23V-/272555669505?hash=item3f75957801:g:7-0AAOSwax5YoaE~

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-Adapter-Power-for-CANON-ACK-E8-EOS-550D-650D-600D-700D-with-DR-E8-Module-P-/382014191930?hash=item58f1d1f93a:g:xkoAAOSweW5U2H~q

19 minutes ago, Handy_Andy said:

I've used Duracell when I had a 550d and found they lasted about 3/4 of the time a Genuine battery did, if your capable with a soldering ion you can make a 12v cigarette plug go to a dc adapter through a buck converter. Cut the transformer off the cable slot it into the converter set it to 9v and your winning

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DROK-DC-DC-Buck-Converter-Voltage-Regulator-with-Transparent-Shell-5-23V-/272555669505?hash=item3f75957801:g:7-0AAOSwax5YoaE~

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-Adapter-Power-for-CANON-ACK-E8-EOS-550D-650D-600D-700D-with-DR-E8-Module-P-/382014191930?hash=item58f1d1f93a:g:xkoAAOSweW5U2H~q

Thanks Andy, I am fine with a soldering iron/electronics design and have considered going the opposite way with step up from 5V as mobile phone battery banks are so cheap. It is good to know that the Duracell gives that sort of performance.

Alan 

22 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

Thanks Andy, I am fine with a soldering iron/electronics design and have considered going the opposite way with step up from 5V as mobile phone battery banks are so cheap. It is good to know that the Duracell gives that sort of performance.

Alan 

Stepping up from 5V to 7.2V is less desirable than stepping down from 12V. This is usually the case for circuits drawing more than a few 10's of mA. Most of the boost converters (step-up) from eBay are quite rubbish but the buck converters (step-down) are actually decent.

13 minutes ago, StuartJPP said:

Stepping up from 5V to 7.2V is less desirable than stepping down from 12V. This is usually the case for circuits drawing more than a few 10's of mA. Most of the boost converters (step-up) from eBay are quite rubbish but the buck converters (step-down) are actually decent.

Thanks Stuart, I have thought about this and the effect of reduced current available from up scaling even if using the available 2 A outputs on some of these battery banks. One problem I have found is getting any reliable information on Canon cameras current consumption in various modes, my own measurements on the 650D put it at about 800 mA with live view on, perhaps an alternative solution would be to build a power pack based on two 12000 mAH banks in series with the appropriate voltage reduction to 8 V or so.

Alan 

Got 2 from ebay cheap, I think they were $15 each, haven't  caused me any problem. If anyone of them plays up there were cheap enough to chuck away and get another.

2 hours ago, Demon Barber said:

Hi All just be aware that some counterfeit batteries  may cause irreparable damage  to your camera ,is it worth the risk?

Mike

There is a vast difference between third party batteries from reputable manufacturers and cheap counterfeits

On 20/04/2017 at 17:28, Alien 13 said:

I have two genuine LP-E6N batteries for my Canon camera but at £65 a pop was wondering if there are any good third party alternatives, I would realy like to have two sets for my battery grip.

Alan

I use Duracell for my Canons (600/700/70), they last well.

Archived