Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

StarTech Mountable 4 port USB hub...heads up

SteveA

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too can vouch for these. I originally had a 4 port version, but lost it in a thunderstorm, (along with ALL the other electronic kit in the obsy). I replaced it with a 7 port version, and my portable rig also uses a 7 port. They are really robust, and you can choose between using bus power from the PC, or external DC power. What's not to like

Huw

11 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

There appear to be two ground pins, before I damage something which one is used?

Just checked, mine only have one, but I suspect one is electrical 0 volts, the other is case ground, do you have a multimeter to check? There might be a jumper on the pcb to link/unlink them.

**EDIT** been on the StarTEch site, none the wiser I'm afraid, the case shows both pins connected, but a multimeter will tell the truth of the situation.

Huw

5 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks Huw. Would I be checking for continuity between both/case or what would I be testing for?

The white line between both on the case suggests that they are connected together somewhere inside, it's good practice in complicated installations to have the possibility of a chassis earth separate to electrical 0v, helps to keep earth loops at bay.

This is what was discussed on CN:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/491156-powering-stand-alone-usb-hub/

Huw

12 hours ago, Horwig said:

The white line between both on the case suggests that they are connected together somewhere inside, it's good practice in complicated installations to have the possibility of a chassis earth separate to electrical 0v, helps to keep earth loops at bay.

This is what was discussed on CN:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/491156-powering-stand-alone-usb-hub/

Huw

That's reassuring!

I was scratching my head over the same issue and had formed the opinion at the negative connection could be made to either of the two terminals marked GND. I'm glad the issue was raised though as I ffelt a bit silly asking what feels like a basic electrics question...at least it wasn't just me!  So...thanks for asking and answering this??

Steve

On 10/04/2017 at 22:54, tooth_dr said:

There appear to be two ground pins, before I damage something which one is used?

There is also the cynical answer based on production economics, maybe they couldn't get the two pin version any more, or more likely got a better deal on the three pin one :grin:

I have the 7 port hub with screw held USB sockets.  There's nothing to hold the USB plugs in with those 4 port hubs.  The USB sockets look like standard twin ones as used in computers.

5 hours ago, Gina said:

I have the 7 port hub with screw held USB sockets.  There's nothing to hold the USB plugs in with those 4 port hubs.  The USB sockets look like standard twin ones as used in computers.

Its a pity the 4 port one doesn't have the same sockets as the 7 port, I guess the ability to lock those usb plugs down makes for extra security. However I'm happy enough that this shouldn't be a problem  the way I'm mounting the hub as I'm planning to strap the cables down, having them fall out shouldn't be an issue....he says...hopefully.

Steve

Likewise I've never had an issue with a USB cable coming out.  However I regularly have an issue with my EQ6 power cable plug being a little lose and occasionally losing power.  I must look into that one, as it's a right pain in the a r5 e when you hear that 'beeeep' as the handset has turned off and on again.

5 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Likewise I've never had an issue with a USB cable coming out.  However I regularly have an issue with my EQ6 power cable plug being a little lose and occasionally losing power.  I must look into that one, as it's a right pain in the a r5 e when you hear that 'beeeep' as the handset has turned off and on again.

Totally with you on that one! I ended up securing the plug against the mount with tape, which works, but doesn't look very professional.

I'm sure that there is a power socket upgrade that someone on SGL published a while back. Hmm...maybe this summers project?

Steve

surely if the cable is pulled out you have other issues.....my seven port version only has the USB B cable secured ... the rest are fine, top quality as far as im concerned, no bing bongs ever :)

40 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Totally with you on that one! I ended up securing the plug against the mount with tape, which works, but doesn't look very professional.

I'm sure that there is a power socket upgrade that someone on SGL published a while back. Hmm...maybe this summers project?

Steve

I did find it, looks easy enough as long as I can get a lend of a big steel drill bit. Mind you I think I might just buy a 90deg plug and tape it up like yours ??

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Ordered one of these are you using 12v battery to power the hub or 240v to 12v  if 240v to 12v what power supply have you found to be most suitable.  I want to power the hub and an RPI 3 for indi and arduino for focuser plus astroeq for the mount eq5 in self contained box and access scope via wifi. if possible or via alternative

Andy

48 minutes ago, Ibbo! said:

I got mine a couple of weeks ago and tested it the other night .

Works fine -just a slight problem all my USB leads are now tooooo looooong. :biggrin:

I'm going.......shoooooooooort on as many of the USB cables as possible :biggrin:

IMG_1251.JPG

Cheers for the "heads up" on these. Been keeping an eye open for a while on these for the up and coming "improvements" to the obsy, and at that kinda price, rude not to take a punt.

Les

Archived