Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Spooked by the dark on my own!

Hearing a barn owl screech at 4:00am when you are out of sight of all human habitation is pretty spooky!

I'm pretty comfortable in the dark, but I can work myself into a spooked mindset by letting my imagination run riot...

I do worry about being at dark sites on my own. Last time I went out there was a suspicious car, it turned out to be two photographers who were as worried about me as the other way round. They moved to the adjacent car park, and I decided to split but then saw they were setting up tripods! But while we were talking we heard two less salubrious gents emerge from the toilet block (in the next car park again) and head off.

Has left me very wary of setting up on my own.

It would be good if there was a thread on here where people could arrange joint meet-ups in a way that didn't advertise actual sites and times to the crims.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

It would be good if there was a thread on here where people could arrange joint meet-ups in a way that didn't advertise actual sites and times to the crims.

I've seen this done for other hobbies.  Sometimes it takes little more than a thread along the lines of 'PM me if you want to meet up in add in the appropriate approx. area'  On approx. dates or weekdays then take it offline.  How, you then screen potential suspects for axe murdering tendencies is beyond me, but if someone sends you a picture of them standing next to an appropriate telescope they can name the make and model of at least you know you'll be murdered by an astronomer!

1 hour ago, Nova2000 said:

The forest area I go to is occupied by leopards :)

Never seen one. Seen fox there once but. 

My friend's once went to a different dark site and they had to stop cause of dogs 

Joke of the Leopard place 

The local club has a kiss club which conducts presentations and  science picnics for kids. One boy 12yrs old was roaming at night without telling the seniors. He saw 2lights in the bushes. He thought it was a Leopard and came running :happy7::icon_biggrin:. The lights were fire flies ?

Scariest place I observed was on safari in Tanzania. The skies were the best I've ever been under, but I was too bothered about being eaten to make the most of them!!

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Scariest place I observed was on safari in Tanzania. The skies were the best I've ever been under, but I was too bothered about being eaten to make the most of them!!

I bet the skies would have been really amazing. But as they say

Humans are not afraid of the dark

They are afraid that someone might be there in the dark :)

Clear skies 

I live in Cheshunt which is South-East Hertfordshire.The skies are virtually ruiened by light reflecting from exhaust particulants.I dream of finding dark sky sites a little further North of where I live.I have changed my telescopes and mounts so as to be easily transportable.As the Spring blends into Summer I willl stop talking about this and actually look for some dark sky sites further up The A10 road.I am always keen to meet up with other observers in Hertfordshire. I have been to several astronomy groups, but observing never seems to be what they do.Groups tend to be very formal with lectures and organised meetings etc.

I do visit Swanage in Dorset quite frequently and was there this last weekend.

Not sure if it's appropriate to mention,but it's not people or inquisitive animals that worry me in the dark. When I was a late teenager there was a period of strange things happening in our family home. So I am always reminded of that in the dark.Others don't believe in this sort of thing. We all have our experiences.

4 minutes ago, Grumpy Martian said:

Not sure if it's appropriate to mention,but it's not people or inquisitive animals that worry me in the dark. When I was a late teenager there was a period of strange things happening in our family home. So I am always reminded of that in the dark.Others don't believe in this sort of thing. We all have our experiences.

You are strange Grumpy ! Next thing your going to have is your old telescopes haunting you - Why Did you Let me Go !!!!!!!! :laughing4:

1 hour ago, Nova2000 said:

But if the site is far away from good facilities and you are on your own. It's not good actually. 

I understand what you mean from a Health and Safety aspect.If they found me slumped over my telescope and mount.They could say that I went doing something that I was happy with in my final moments.lol

39 minutes ago, Skyline said:

You are strange Grumpy ! Next thing your going to have is your old telescopes haunting you - Why Did you Let me Go !!!!!!!! :laughing4:

Funny.I like the way you think Skyline.Imagine a three legged tripod chasing me back to the car park.

But that old telescope is crying out to you saying"Let me go back to him".

51 minutes ago, Grumpy Martian said:

Now that's getting into my territory of visitations and visitors...

9 minutes ago, Grumpy Martian said:

But that old telescope is crying out to you saying"Let me go back to him".

That old telescope is in Nirvana now, the only thing it wanted was some TLC with its lens. Also reunited with it's younger brother.

23 minutes ago, Nova2000 said:

War of the world's! 

Good thinking Nova.But don't you think that all those ray gun flashes would spoil the seeing of a dark sky? Very inconsiderate of those Martians. Perhaps they could put off their invasion until the daylight hours.

19 minutes ago, Skyline said:

That old telescope is in Nirvana now, the only thing it wanted was some TLC with its lens. Also reunited with it's younger brother.

Were they last seen walking off into the sunset together?

2 hours ago, Grumpy Martian said:

You perhaps would not wish to plan on going stargazing with me, one of my dark sky sites is not too far from this.

http://www.northumberland-cam.com/winters-gibbet/

One question is how far in distance would you be willing to travel, and I suppose in time?

You are on the A10 or close and that allows fairly easy drive North, South is a bit pointless.

So assuming North: Hertford, Ware, Buntingford, Royston, Cambridge ?

14 hours ago, scarp15 said:

You perhaps would not wish to plan on going stargazing with me, one of my dark sky sites is not too far from this.

http://www.northumberland-cam.com/winters-gibbet/

I like the irony that they don't want a wind turbine (symbol of a better future) sticking up into teh air, but they are happy to have a gibbet (symbol of a grisly past).

There are already quite a few clusters of on-shore wind farm schemes throughout Northumberland, this particular large scale scheme is planning to industrialise a expansive area of open moorland and is controversial for various reasons. There are many successful off-shore wind farms. The Gibbet is actually a nineteenth century recreation, so is in fact a folly and creates a more unusual landmark, which can be seen from some distance on a road that is popular with cyclists and cycle tourers, as well as the occasional astronomer, photographer and quite a few roe deer.

1 hour ago, scarp15 said:

There are already quite a few clusters of on-shore wind farm schemes throughout Northumberland, this particular large scale scheme is planning to industrialise a expansive area of open moorland and is controversial for various reasons. There are many successful off-shore wind farms. The Gibbet is actually a nineteenth century recreation, so is in fact a folly and creates a more unusual landmark, which can be seen from some distance on a road that is popular with cyclists and cycle tourers, as well as the occasional astronomer, photographer and quite a few roe deer.

I'm very aware of the wider issues, I just think the juxtaposition is interesting, emphasising the general point that in landscape terms the outcome is often that old is accepted and the new rejected. The National Trust look after many 'features' that would never get planning permission today!

Yep that's a fair point. Just to get back on topic, Martin you could consider attending a star party, make it into an occasion and take along any family members that could be interested. It is like a half way point really, there are other folk around and yet you become accustomed to being out in a dark environment (and hopefully dry and clear). Being out in the dark at remote places on your own is certainly not for everyone. if for example, you have had any previous experience of wild camping or night fishing, you will probably be more familiar and usually too pre-occupied to become subjectively distracted. Finding a location that you feel reasonably reassured, that other visitors will not be encountered is not so easy, with trial and error and some determination there are places that can be considered a peaceful dark sky idyll.  

Archived