SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Spooked by the dark on my own!

Well I am now having to admit to myself that I don't like being in large open areas on my own in the dark. Last night I setup for some stargazing at Durlston in Swanage. It was a glorious dark sky. But I could not enjoy it as I became spooked. I have been there many times in the dark with family or when Wessex Astronomy have had their puplic events.

It seems that my astronomy observing at dark sky sites is now going to be severely limited. I am going to see if there is such a thing as a large red lantern to put on the top of the car. It will not disturb anyone if I'm on my own.

Oh I wish there was a network of observing groups that we could contact to ask if one could be invited to join up. I have posted on the local part of Stargazers to see if anyone in the Hertfordshire area would like to join up for observing times.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in a similar situation just north of Poole feel free to PM me next time you want to go to Durston.  I'm not so much spooked but am cautious about being alone in the dark with expensive kit.

If I can make it I'd be happy to meet up.

Many years ago as a young telephone engineer i had to repair an underground cable in  the local mental hospital. I located the fault to a 50 pair joint in a cable that ran from the main unit to the remote administration block via an underground tunnel and then above ground to admin. The joint was in a wooded area and was unapproachable by my van so armed with my tools, jointers stool and flask of coffee walked the 150 yards to the joint. Setting up my stall i proceeded to cut back the conductors and remake the joint a wire at a time. Working diligently i became engrossed in my work only to be disturbed by a rustling in the trees and bushes behind me. Thinking of one flew over the cuckoo's nest and the Texas chainsaw massacre which were the in films then i had a premonition of a axe in the back of my head, fearing the worst i turned my head to see two amourous squirrels chasing each other in the bushes. I finished my task and went to find some clean trousers

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

I wouldn't have a big red light you'll just advertise yourself.

Brings back memories of being threatened with a shotgun by an irate farmer, despite being on public access land at the time - he had been alerted by my headlight/torch.  Not the first time I've been threatened by shotgun while out stargazing - don't mention the lampers...

I used to live out in the wilds of Suffolk across a valley from a piggery, and the sounds from there would carry very well on a still night. I was so glad I knew in advance that pig squeals at a distance can sound like human screams!

I'm happy to have visitors esp. if experienced enough to help show me things, otherwise more than happy to be the blind leading the blind.  PM me if you fancy a few late evening hours observing in SE Essex - I'm not ultra dark, but a good deal darker than some.

11 hours ago, Grumpy Martian said:

I am regretful of starting this thread. It's beginning to make astronomy sound like The Hammer House of Horrors.lol

It's not that bad! I think I'd rather be out in the countryside with all the natural noises than in town. My weekend observing sessions tend to be accompanied by the sounds of boy racers revving engines in the nearby supermarket car park, before running them round the circuit of the main road through town and the bypass. And then there's the loud drunken arguments from the local yoof walking back from town. I'm just glad they can't see me when I'm out observing as they are definitely less safe than any suspicious rustling in the undergrowth in the middle of nowhere!

Saying that, I've not had to deal with poachers or irate farmers yet

Only been spooked observing one time.  I normally observe by myself.   My property is next to a 600 acre horse farm in central Kentucky, U.S.A. so it is relatively dark.  I was out one very nice fall evening.  I kept hearing noises in the leaves on the ground about 50 feet away.  I looked up quickly but did not see anyone.  As visions of impending doom filled my head I decided to investigate.  With torch in hand I slowly approached the noise.  I turned on the torch and noticed the intruder.  About 12 inches tall,  weighing in at about 5 kilos, black with a pronounced white stripe down his back.  Needless to say I exchanged some pleasantries with him and ensured that I meant no harm.  I backed away slowly and went back to my scope.

I soon heard Mr. Skunk going off into the distance to complete his nightly rounds.

Mike H

I was out on my own on Saturday night and decided to try a new area that looked a good find on Google Maps. So I crept, in the car, past a gypsy encampment and headed up the dirt track. Turn off is just up here, somewhere... a bit further... no probably a bit further ... gee this track is getting narrow... can't turnaround here ... oh, there it is ...... no it's not then whirrrrrrrr bother, no traction!

Anyway, to cut the story short, after much bush-bashing I managed to found a turning point and turn around, but the car was absolutely covered with muck. Gee that was scary though.

What we go through to find a dark site eh?

I tend to use a location that is an access road into a nature reserve, but only that one dead end road. Means that if I am half way along it (best place to be) I can see anything passing on the very minor road that feeds it.

Have to say I am half contemplating enquiring about observing at a location, just it means having to see if it is possible and then I suppose having to organise it. Trouble I find is people are all "That's great" at first then only half actually appear and they tend to drift off. You end up down to 2 maybe 3 and then not all the time.

On 25/03/2017 at 10:36, Grumpy Martian said:

Well I am now having to admit to myself that I don't like being in large open areas on my own in the dark. Last night I setup for some stargazing at Durlston in Swanage. It was a glorious dark sky. But I could not enjoy it as I became spooked. I have been there many times in the dark with family or when Wessex Astronomy have had their puplic events.

It seems that my astronomy observing at dark sky sites is now going to be severely limited. I am going to see if there is such a thing as a large red lantern to put on the top of the car. It will not disturb anyone if I'm on my own.

Oh I wish there was a network of observing groups that we could contact to ask if one could be invited to join up. I have posted on the local part of Stargazers to see if anyone in the Hertfordshire area would like to join up for observing times.

Where in Hertfordshire are you Martin...?

1 hour ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Have you considered a dog? Me thinks your fear would vanish if you had another sentient-being to talk to during your nocturnal sojurns

Sounds like the best excuse ever for buying a dog if you ask me!  Also, if it's a big one, like a German Shepherd I should think you are less likely to be mugged!  I should think if you took a thick mat for them to lie on and a travel bowl of water for them they would love it.  Having the radio on in the background might also help to lessen the sensation of being alone.

3 hours ago, Racey said:

Where in Hertfordshire are you Martin...?

Wait for a definitive answer but from memory I think Martin is in Cheshunt.

I read the original two or three times as it said

Last night I setup for some stargazing at Durlston in Swanage.

Thought I had read the OP name wrong.

Should be a poor area for light pollution as it sits sort of on the M25, with several additional places around it, Broxbourne, Hoddesdon, Waltham Cross, Enfield all donating light to any view.

In the past, I tried to become the first "Basket on Wheels" Astronomer! :D
Maplin Trolly, bit of  "MDF", ABS tool boxes, Tripod slung over shoulder...
(I gave one local TAXI Firm (welcome) laugh during one night shift too)

It never quite worked out? An anticipated (daylight) "easy stroll" to sites
at the end of country paths became a gruesome mud-slide in the dark! :o

Relatively un-fazed by random sounds while WALKING at night:  Foxes,
"Little critters fighting it out" in the undergrowth... became unnerving
while standing next to (precious, mugging-worthy) Astro Equipment? :p

I understood there was little of substance to fear in the dark.
(E.G. Cemeteries are really GREAT places for peace & quiet!)
But solo-observing in the pitch black never worked for me. :fucyc:

The forest area I go to is occupied by leopards :)

Never seen one. Seen fox there once but. 

My friend's once went to a different dark site and they had to stop cause of dogs 

Joke of the Leopard place 

The local club has a kiss club which conducts presentations and  science picnics for kids. One boy 12yrs old was roaming at night without telling the seniors. He saw 2lights in the bushes. He thought it was a Leopard and came running :happy7::icon_biggrin:. The lights were fire flies ?

39 minutes ago, ronin said:

Wait for a definitive answer but from memory I think Martin is in Cheshunt.

I read the original two or three times as it said

Thought I had read the OP name wrong.

Should be a poor area for light pollution as it sits sort of on the M25, with several additional places around it, Broxbourne, Hoddesdon, Waltham Cross, Enfield all donating light to any view.

I concur. It would be tough around Cheshunt. Thereby necessitating the need for a drive. But we are in a small villlage close to Baldock only a relatively short drive up the A10 and across the A507 and we're pretty dark from our back garden and even darker if I go 10 minutes from home. 

If Martin is in south Herts he could head a little way North West and find darker skies and reasonably friendly people... 

It doesn't require a monster drive to the land of the Wild Hodgepig to scare yourself half to death to catch a glimpse of a comet... ?

Becoming fully dark adapted, you completely retain your peripheral vision and it is quite reasonable to take in your environment and feel totally at ease. For close up work such as changing eyepieces, no light is necessarily required, I will use a dim red light head torch - which is actually very dim due to a weak battery, for screwing and unscrewing filters and then some red light is required for looking at charts. At the end of a session I might switch my head torch to a white light beam to scout around and I immediately lose that peripheral vision which can take a bit of adjusting to and is a little unsettling. Though not always possible, unless planning to meet with anyone else, I try and go to places that will avoid likely company, including anyone who is just curious. Whilst I was out on Saturday, it is the roe deer that tend to be encountered and care is needed on the road out.

Archived