Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Welcome to Stargazers Lounge

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customise your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_satellites_v2.jpg

edarter

Active USB cables

12 posts in this topic

Hi,

Is it ok to use active USB cables between a DSLR and the laptop I use to control it? I would really like the laptop to be inside the house while I'm imaging (scope setup is on the patio) and I was thinking an active USB cable would be the best way of achieving this as the cable run is too long for a standard USB cable.

Thanks
Ed

Posted (edited)

Yes, No , Maybe not all leads are equal,  work for some and not others. Some devices are ok others not, some ports work ok others dont.

its very hit and miss in my experiance.

Edited by Earl

I was wondering this too as I wanted to do exactly the same thing!

Was looking at getting a few active 10m cables so I can run everything from inside but would be nice to hear from people who have had success with this before making an investment.

Posted (edited)

i used the blue rigger usb leads which were quite a few metres long and connected them together to keep my laptop indoors, worked ok too with BYN for my nikon camera EDIT in fact they were 10 m long and connected them no problem

Edited by brrttpaul

USB doesnt like more than 5 metres - it might work but it might not be reliable.

This will do the job and be utterly reliable - shop around you can find them cheaper.

I use one over about 35 metres away and its  flawless.

http://www.misco.co.uk/productinfo/productinfo?productCode=2472111&affiliate=GOOGLEPLA&cm_mmc=google-_-Product_PlusBox-__-2472111&catargetid=530001250000673827&cadevice=c&gclid=CLec6unw5dICFYM4Gwodn7sJBQ

Not sure if its feasible but it might be worth investigating eye/wi fi SD cards for your camera, my own camera is a WiFi model and allows me to use live view and complete camera control from indoors with either a lappy running EOS utils or a phone/tablet with Canon camera connect.

Alan

1 hour ago, Skipper Billy said:

USB doesnt like more than 5 metres - it might work but it might not be reliable.

This will do the job and be utterly reliable - shop around you can find them cheaper.

I use one over about 35 metres away and its  flawless.

http://www.misco.co.uk/productinfo/productinfo?productCode=2472111&affiliate=GOOGLEPLA&cm_mmc=google-_-Product_PlusBox-__-2472111&catargetid=530001250000673827&cadevice=c&gclid=CLec6unw5dICFYM4Gwodn7sJBQ

Would this do it? 

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/usb-to-ethernet-adapter-a31gy?cmpid=ppc%3Abest_sellers%3Apla%3Agoogle&gclid=Cj0KEQjw-73GBRCC7KODl9zToJMBEiQAj1Jgf5QvxUYfqK4UrF57jW2thkH7UcIRu_30VZST11QPoXwaAtHl8P8HAQ

Does software like apt or backyard eos work ok with the camera being seen on the network port rather than the USB port? 

No idea sorry - I  have only used the Startech one which converts the Cat 6 cable back to USB at the computer end.

I am not a  techy person sorry!

I've had these for quite a few years now.. used to use them all the time before I built the obsy, with dslr then CCD, mount, guider etc. No problems. Now they still get occasional use with the portable setups and have continued to work fine even though they have had a bit of a soaking with dew over the years. You can chain them for quite a length... mind you they seem to have doubled in price since I got mine!

https://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapters-c1/usb-c449/12m-usb-2-0-active-extension-pro-4-port-hub-p498

https://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapters-c1/usb-c449/8m-usb-2-0-active-extension-cable-pro-p496

Posted (edited)

Hi. I think wifi is the way to go but these work fine. Cheap and cheerful, I can run eqmod, APT with a 700d and PHD2 with an asi using it; usb3 -non active- hub velcro'd to the telescope and elongated with this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Speed-Active-30Ft-30F-USB-2-0-Extension-Cable-Male-To-Female-With-Booster-Repeater/32577380333.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.QgHmIo

HTH

**edit:warning, this works for ONE 10m cable. Not tested with longer lengths or cables joined...

Edited by alacant
warning

This reminds me that I have got hold of some cat5 usb extenders. If they do work I can extend a fair distance. They were cheap from amazon and have just not had the time to knock up the cat5 or install the pc into the shed yet.

Might make up a 20m network cable tonight and see how they work...will let you know.

1 person likes this

Just bought 3 x Bluerigger 10m active extension cables, they are USB A to A Female (tenner each from Amazon) and they work perfectly. Just plug your existing USB cable in to the end and they work perfectly. I haven't had the chance to try them out properly yet but preliminary tests seem to indicate that they work just fine, full USB 2.0 capabilities too.

Looks like there could be some clear skies tonight so hopefully I'll be able to put them through their paces whilst sitting in the comfort of a warm room!