NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telescope won't stay in place

Hello, first time poster. I'm a total newbie, so please forgive my ignorance. I have a Celestron AstroMaster 114 EQ with an equatorial mount. My problem is this: when I'm trying to observe something and manually move the tube, it won't stay in place. It actually "swings" back to the original position. I'm not talking about up and down which eliminates an issue with the counterweights; it's a left to right issue. I'll move it to the left but as soon as I let go, it abruptly swings back to the right. Again, I'm new at this so thanks for any helpful replies.

According to the online instructions:

"B. To change the direction your telescope is pointing:

1. To move the telescope in declination (north/south) there are two options. For large and quick

movements, release the declination knob (#22) and then tighten the knob when you are near the

position you want. For very small movements and fine adjustments, use the declination cable

(#18). The declination cable has a range of about 30° and if you come to the stop at the end then

overshoot your target by releasing the declination knob and move the telescope in declination.

Then tighten the knob and reverse the direction of the declination cable.

Do not try to force movement when the declination cable has reached the stop.

2. To move the telescope in right ascension (east/west) there are two options. For large and quick

movements, release the right ascension knob ( #24) and then tighten the knob when you are near

the position you want. For very small movements and fine adjustments, use the right ascension

cable (#31)."

Did you loosen and re-tighten the knob as directed?  If you want a purely push-to mount, perhaps a dobsonian would work better for you.

21 hours ago, Brianjohn442 said:

............. I'm not talking about up and down which eliminates an issue with the counterweights; it's a left to right issue. 

Actually, your counterweights do both axis. 

Firstly, set your tube centrally in the tube rings with equal distance front to rear of the tube. Then make sure that the tube is directly above the counterweights in the horizontal plane. Now release the right ascension screw so that the scope will arc with the weights acting like a pendulum beneath. The scope should still be horizontal, so it shouldn't be "nodding" if that makes sense? Now slightly tighten the RA screw just so that it touches the shaft. It should still pendulum, just a tad slower. Now set the counterweights to stop this effect, i.e. bring them up the shaft towards the scope. Trial and error will find the sweet spot. You should be able to hold the scope in any arc position without it moving even with the RA screw loosened.

Now with that set, tighten the RA screw and loosen the alt screw to allow the scope front end to raise and lower, but make sure you are holding the scope to avoid it dropping forward or backward. Now loosen the tube ring screws to allow you to slide the scope backwards and forwards in the tube rings (don't loosen the shoe bolts!). Now adjust this fore and aft to find the centre balance point. Tighten up the tube rings when done.

Now the whole scope should be balanced in both axis, as well as the third axis (declination) that will come as a result of the first 2. 

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. Sorry for the delay in my response, but I figured out what the so called "issue" was. The tube wants to swing back to a certain position ONLY when that particular locking knob is tight. If I loosen the locking knob for that axis (and I still can not tell you what that axis is. It's the axis that allows the tube to go left and right. Is THAT RA or is it declination?? I have watched countless videos but haven't seen one that spells it out and some of them seem to contradict each other. Again, I truly am a novice) THEN I can physically manipulate the tube left or right without it wanting to go back to the point where the locking knob is set. Is this because of a "clutch" inside the unit that tries to keep it in that position? Along a different line, the manual seems to only talk about two setting circles, but there are actually three setting circles on the mount. The one at the very bottom of the mount, is that for latitude and once I set it for the position I'm at I never have to fiddle with it again? Thanks again for the responses as well as your patience in dealing with a totally ignorant newbie. 

Glad to hear you got that sorted out so you can enjoy observing with your telescope.

Yes, the lower "circle" is for the latitude adjuster (really an arc).  You shouldn't have to touch it again unless you take your scope to a more northerly or southerly location, like when you take it with you on a vacation or camping.

Yes, you're loosening the clutch with the knob.  Some clutches allow you to keep the knob slightly loose to allow the mount to be moved without fully loosening it.  It depends on the design.

19 minutes ago, Brianjohn442 said:

Great; thanks for the quick reply. And this is the locking knob that, when loosened, allows me to swing the tube left or right (in an arc) so is that RA?

IMG_2924.JPG

The locking knob you have highlighted is for the DEC axis (rotates the telescope about the counterweight axis). The one below it is the RA axis (rotates the telescope about the axis running from rear to front of mount)

• 6 months later...

OkHi yes I have a National Geographic 114 900 reflector telescope and when stargazing it has 2 twist knobs to either stop it's side to side movement or the up and down movement and for both of them, mainly the up and down when I have a object centered I tighten it then it moves up a bit for some reason on it's own then stays in it's spot so I have to guess where to point my telescope each time, and when I tighten the left to right Knob the telescope rises a bit.

Archived