Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Setting Up Old Equatorial Mount - Help Needed

On 12/05/2022 at 16:50, Mandy D said:

@doublevodka It is quite similar, but like you say, I'm tempted to think that it may be home made. Looking at all of these pictures and comparing what I have, I'm begining to get a clearer picture of how equatorial mounts work. I have just agreed to buy a Starwatcher 200P, so that would be a better fit for this mount than my RC, so no need to increase the pier height.

I'm currently trying (and failing) to remove the counterbalance weights from the shaft. Once I have it stripped I'll assess the parts, then (hopefully!) get them professionally cleaned and finished. I can then return to here and see if someone can help me get it set up and working, initially as a hand guided EQ mount. I'd love to have a clock drive on it, but that would have to be much later.

use WD40 to free things up nd loosen the weights.

You have two approaches to the screw.

The first is a long shaft, removing thread where it is not needed.

The second is to use a short screw, and a loose bar for the remaining depth.
If you use a nylon bar, it won't mark the shaft when it slides.
If you look at secondhand mounts on sale, they sometimes have scoring where the weight has been moved with the screw part gtipping.
Also buy a knurled knob/handle on M8 stud to save you some effort.

Drill all the way 6.5mm.
Then tap M8 as necessary to take the knob/handle. Drop a length of nylon bar down the hole, add the threaded knob and away you go.

David.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Carbon Brush said:

You have two approaches to the screw.

The first is a long shaft, removing thread where it is not needed.

The second is to use a short screw, and a loose bar for the remaining depth.
If you use a nylon bar, it won't mark the shaft when it slides.
If you look at secondhand mounts on sale, they sometimes have scoring where the weight has been moved with the screw part gtipping.
Also buy a knurled knob/handle on M8 stud to save you some effort.

Drill all the way 6.5mm.
Then tap M8 as necessary to take the knob/handle. Drop a length of nylon bar down the hole, add the threaded knob and away you go.

David.

Yep - my old Vixen SP has this (but not a nylon bar). As the bar won;t be turning, it marks the shaft much less.

image.png.e4ac4cdda1cd64cc936d0a3136623a0f.png

I really need to find some suitable Vixen Green paint for the weight!

• Like 3