NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Would a filter help extend my imaging year?

Currently when the clocks change around March/April time ive noticed my imaging and general viewing time takes a nose dive. This is mainly due to the lighter nights and not being able to stay up till 2am with going to work at 6. Would the use of a filter such as this help to extend that untill further into the year and also start earlier towards the end?

2 hours ago, Herra Kuulapaa said:

It may (or may not) save you some minutes per day, but not more - and still it's more related to LP than overall sky brightness. You want proper dark because your wanted signal gets swamped by unwanted bright sky signal.

It does pass plenty of blue sky:

baader-neodymium-1-1-4-moon-skyglow-filt

Okay, that makes sence. LP is a different band of light to sunlight i suppose.

Could you explain the graph a little though?

25 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi, yes I think so. I have one but they're available more economically. At the latter outlay it maybe worth a try anyway. HTH.

I do have an annoying streetlight that id like to eliminate when looking low to the south West. So it wouldnt be wasted. Will definately do some more research though thanks.

20 minutes ago, Danny83uk said:

Could you explain the graph a little though?

If your street light is orange -sodium vapour- the filter is perfect at cutting out almost 100% of the light at that wavelength; 589nm. To a lesser extent, mercury vapour -green- at around 540nm. See how the graph dips at those values. HTH.

You may find the International Dark-Sky Association to be a good resource:

http://darksky.org/

The newer LED lighting is the most troubling to suppress. But making sure they are correctly installed (with a sheild to aim them down at the ground only) is a simple matter - if this is done before they are manufactured & installed.

Have fun,

Dave

If ive read this correctly (i think i have). LP is not the issue. The OP is wondering if a polarising filter (or similar) could be used to darken the sky in images during certain times of the year when the sky is getting brighter to prolong imaging sessions.

TBH, i am not an imager and as such have never considered this as a possibility. I do however use a variable polarising filter for solar observing and know how they work. 

It could possibly work but i think the benefits would be minimal. I'm also sure there is some science behind which wavelengths of light such filters block, so may not be of any benefit (just to darken the sky)...because surely they would darken the whole image?.

8 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

LP is not the issue.

Hi. I answered as if it was, so no. I don't think it will help longer imaging sessions but it will help longer exposures during the same, especially with your orange street lamp. Sorry...

11 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

If ive read this correctly (i think i have). LP is not the issue. The OP is wondering if a polarising filter (or similar) could be used to darken the sky in images during certain times of the year when the sky is getting brighter to prolong imaging sessions.

TBH, i am not an imager and as such have never considered this as a possibility. I do however use a variable polarising filter for solar observing and know how they work. 

It could possibly work but i think the benefits would be minimal. I'm also sure there is some science behind which wavelengths of light such filters block, so may not be of any benefit (just to darken the sky)...because surely they would darken the whole image?.

Your correct, LP wasnt the primary question but with it looking to be of minimal improvement for lighter skies, i mensioned the streetlight.

3 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi. I answered as if it was, so no. I don't think it will help longer imaging sessions but it will help longer exposures during the same, especially with your orange street lamp. Sorry...

Thanks, no need to be sorry i tend to veer off the original topics in my posts.

Archived