Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NexStar+ Firmware Update Issues

Itabot

Hi, can anybody help me.

I’m trying to update my Celestron 8SE NexStar+ Handset Firmware using supplied RS-232 Lead connected via USB 232 Converter Lead, downloaded Celestron Firmware Manager and PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v10518.  No joy, repeatedly Celestron Firmware Manager advises CFM was unable to find a device.

Looking in Windows 10 Device Manager a new Port (COM & LPT) has appeared, (plug symbol covered with a yellow caution triangle) listing: Prolific USB-to-Serial Com Port (Com4) opened, general tab lists: This device cannot start (Code 10) A device which does not exist was specified.

Any help would be appreciated, I’m going round in circles.

I had this problem and i did find a fix but i cant for the life of me remember where, a search may well find it, not sure if it is your issue but it was mine.

Here is what happened with a lot.

http://www.portlandiacloudservices.com/usb-to-rs232-serial-port-adapters-clones-counterfeits/

PS: ignore that its an old one, it was still happenning last year, it was just the first link i came to but the point is many shops are still unknowingly selling fakes.

Likely to be a driver problem for the USB/Serial adapter.  Did the adapter come with it's own driver, it may be worth trying with taht rather than latest offical ones.

A quick first test I would suggest is to use another usb port and see if it installs there first - sometimes it can be that simple.

Otherwise there were a lot of issues from suppliers using clone/fake FTDI chips which official drivers now detect and stop working with. See here for a possible solution, just googled it and have not needed to use this myself (yet)!.

If the problem is the USB cable serial adapter driver, right click on the device in comp and let that comes up and click on update the driver. If you are connected to the internet at the same time it should search for the correct driver for the USB cable and update itself. 

Thanks  Mars1960 

34 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

Likely to be a driver problem for the USB/Serial adapter.  Did the adapter come with it's own driver, it may be worth trying with taht rather than latest offical ones.

A quick first test I would suggest is to use another usb port and see if it installs there first - sometimes it can be that simple.

Otherwise there were a lot of issues from suppliers using clone/fake FTDI chips which official drivers now detect and stop working with. See here for a possible solution, just googled it and have not needed to use this myself (yet)!.

Many Thanks StevieDvd.  I uninstalled previous USB/Serial Adaptor drivers I'd installed then downloaded the driver from your link, CFM immediately downloaded updates and transfered to Handset the latest Firmware.....sorted.

2 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

If the problem is the USB cable serial adapter driver, right click on the device in comp and let that comes up and click on update the driver. If you are connected to the internet at the same time it should search for the correct driver for the USB cable and update itself. 

Thanks Knighty2112.  I tried updating driver a few times It didn't solve the issue, probably due to it being a cheap Chinese USB Adaptor.  I've finally downloaded a driver that it will work with....Sorted.

Thanks all for your help. 

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Sorry to budge in on this topic but I have a similar problem. I recently bought a USB to RS232 cable from one of the SGL members and I can't make it work. I installed the driver from the CD that came with it and nothing, I tried the one from StevieDvd's link and again nothing.

Untitled.jpg

Does anybody have a solution for this?

Emil

1 hour ago, emyliano2000 said:

Hello,

Sorry to budge in on this topic but I have a similar problem. I recently bought a USB to RS232 cable from one of the SGL members and I can't make it work. I installed the driver from the CD that came with it and nothing, I tried the one from StevieDvd's link and again nothing.

Untitled.jpg

Does anybody have a solution for this?

Emil

Is your PC/laptop connected to the internet? If so try plugging the USB to serial lead in whilst it is connected and try to update the drivers from the internet via the driver tab in the properties window, then select update driver. Select search automatically for updated driver software, which will do exactly that via the internet if connected up.

If this fails to make the USB to serial cable work it might be that the cable is faulty. I had my work USB to serial lead fail a year or so ago, so perhaps it could be this that is causing the problem, in which case a new USB to serial adapter will be required alas. 

Archived