Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Close Encounter: Hoo Knew?

iPeace

There I was in the front garden / yard, finishing up preparations for an evening's mooning, when a young lady stopped to admire my setup.

To those inclined to seek innuendo wherever: carry on, campers.

I suppose it might look like something meant for shooting down aircraft, but this lady knew a telescope when she saw one, and kindly pointed out that the Moon had yet to rise from behind the house.

Always appreciative of those who helpfully volunteer the so bloomin' obvious it makes your nose bleed, I looked up from my work to thank her and saw that she was not alone.

She was in the company of a huge owl, obviously out for walkies.

Now before you imagine that the unfortunate animal must have had considerable difficulty keeping up, rest assured that the owl was perched on the lady's hand, which was protected by a very serviceable gauntlet.

We chatted a while about telescopes and owls. It seems this lady regularly takes her owl out in the evening to hunt. A beautiful, impressive animal to be sure.

Yes, I meant the owl.

Quite a revelation. If you want to get to know the neighbors, set up a telescope in your front garden.

That last sentence sounds horribly wrong. Time to retrieve my cloak from the vestibule.

:happy11:

Excellent tale! I have a great liking for owls.

Had a similar experience when I came round a corner to find a guy sitting on a wall near the main road with a Harris hawk on his wrist. Told me it was a young bird and he was trying to get it accustomed to traffic noise. Not the kind of thing you see every day ...

???

Nice story. Never seen anyone walking around with an owl, other than on TV. Be careful when you say you are preparing for an evenings mooning, as here in the UK mooning means to bend down and bare ones behind, so you could be misunderstood by non Astro folk! Hehe! ;) 

Just now, Knighty2112 said:

Be careful when you say you are preparing for an evenings mooning, as here in the UK mooning means...

Thanks. I am always appreciative of those who helpfully volunteer...ah, I have lapsed into repetition.

:tongue2:

3 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

Funnily enough, I'm talking about another type of chance encounter in another thread, but I get a fair number like this too. Not with impressive beasts (the owl) like yours though. Sounds like a most enjoyable evening.

Indeed. The mooning was fun, too.

:happy11:

52 minutes ago, iPeace said:

To those inclined to seek innuendo wherever: carry on, campers.

we try to oblige :-

40 minutes ago, Floater said:

Excellent tale!

The owl probably had a fine tail as well

,,, but seriously, thank you @iPeace that was a good read and reminds me of ( who was it  ? ) the owl that came to perch on his telescope not long ago.

Pity you couldn't persuade her to get the owl to fly across the middle of a full moon for a snapshot - it would make a fine photo.  I have seen people out with lizards, and I regularly used to take a goat for walks around the local housing estate before Gov. rules and regs effectively stopped that sort of thing.

Sounds great to me! I lived in a forest for many years, and was good friend's with more than a few of the 'real' owners of the land. It scared the daylights out of my friends. Not to mention visitors. The whole tribe of Racoons were very gregarious - and they scared my friends' at first. But they got used to this - and the Racoon's would merrily sit down amongst us and chatter away.

But the family of Skunks that did likewise were never gotten over by the silly two-legs! Well, as my Grandfather often said.....

"The more I see of most people, the better I like my Dog."

Dave

This fellow was dating my Cat, Maya - with Maya going down into Mr. Chucks' underground home and staying the night - re-appearing in the morning and washing Mr. Chuck with her tongue -

Mr. Woodchuck.jpg

I rather doubt that domestic goats fall under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976.  

Even after that time I was a member/volunteer at the UKWCT, who used to take their wolves out into the local countryside for members walks etc (and there were other groups across the UK doing the same); and indeed they used to be regulars at various country shows and similar - the memories of assembling the show cage!  It was the advent of local authority elf n safety nonsense that stopped the transportation of the wolves by road (in secure trailers) to events that stopped much of the trust's external activities.  

When I was a volunteer at a local RSPCA rehoming unit we had a goat that we took for walks round the village, he was something of our mascot for a while until he was rehomed.

I dunno about walking goats in a circle but try walking your cow, pig or sheep from one field to another, you wont believe the paperwork and howsurfather to be able to do so :(

If you have already done the paperwork to declare the new field as part of your own 'holding' then that is ok, but if it is someone elses field then that is a whole else mountain of paper.

on top of which there is the TB test for cattle at regular intervals, until you walk your cow whereupon it must be done again.

It is no wonder that there are few 'hobby' and amateur keepers of livestock in the UK any more.

Oh yes, and if you do want to keep your own, how do you eat it ? Try slaughtering it yourself - hah, mountains more paper (not to mention the inspections)  if you want to feed anyone else other than you and your own immidiate family. I think in parts iof Scotland and the Isles you now have to travel (hundreds?) miles to find an approved abatoir.

Dont ask / end rant.

SilverAstro, that's right - it applies to goats as well, she used to make appearances at local shows for milking demonstrations.  To get her used to people we used to load her up, drive her to where we lived and take her for a walk around the housing estate, then load her up and take her home.  Then rules and regs cut in, the housing estate wasn't a 'holding' and the paperwork burden effectively put an end to it.

Archived