Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can only focus on things that are close?

Hi,

Sorry to have to be an annoying newbie, but I’m a bit stuck and not sure where else to go to ask for help.

I got my mum a second hand telescope for Christmas (Skywatcher 150mm) but she’s having trouble setting it up.

Basically, she can’t get it to focus on items that are in the distance (which I guess is what telescopes are for haha). It will focus on things that are around 20metres away (I managed to get the fence in perfect focus), but anything beyond that just becomes a blur.

I should say that the eyepiece we’re trying to focus with is a ‘super 25 wide angle long eye relief’ lens. The others ones we have are a 10mm and a 2x barlow lens 1.25mm.

I’ve tried searching online and on this forum but I’m yet to find someone that has the same problem, so if you’ve got any ideas, I’d love to hear them.

Thanks a lot.

Ben

You probably have the 2" adaptor in place.

This is basically a small pipe of 2" diameter that is attached to your focuser tube, you don't need to use this when using 1.25" eyepieces.

Use only the 1.25" adaptor and an eyepiece then you should be able to achieve focus.

As Dan says, these are classic symptoms that both the 1.25" and the 2" adapters are in the scope at the same time. You just use one OR the other, depending on the size of eyepiece you are using.

You may well be up & running again. I hope - do let us know, please?

On to other business here: Greetings, Ben, and a warm welcome to SGL - it's too bad it was an urgent matter to bring you here!

Regards "annoying newbie" - we love questions here, and love even more to look for answers to them. So no trouble at all.

Starry skies,

Dave

As Dan says check the focuser for 2 eyepiece adaptors. For shipping someone designed the pair so that one fitted inside the other and all looks nice and correct. the slight problem being that for viewing it is not nice and correct.

You should take the eyepiece out, then release any small holding screw and take out the 1.25" adaptor, then undo any other holding screws and take out the 2" adaptor. Then put back in only the 1.25" adaptor. Store the 2" adaptor somewhere safe.

Also check if the previous owner supplied a short extension tube with the scope, that may be in the focuser and holding the eyepiece too far out. They could have used different eyepieces that needed one. Just in case it is not the adaptor situation.

There is one other possibility - did the previous owner take images ?? If so and if no adaptor or small extension tube then you may need to buy a short extension tube. Just thinking they could have moved the mirror position for imaging and the simple solution is a small 25mm or 50mm extension tube.

When you get further report back and someone will be able to help. Stick with the 25mm for now, just easier to use and get familiar with the operation of it whole lot.

Right, firstly, thanks for taking the time out of your day to respond, I really appreciate it.

Secondly, you're all astronomy gods - I've only tried it in the day but it focuses on things in the distance now I've got rid of that 2" adaptor like you all suggested.

Just out of interest, which eyepiece/lens are you supposed to use the 2" adaptor with? The smaller ones?

Cheers pals.

The supplied eyepieces are 1.25" in diameter and the 2" adaptor is for 2" diameter eyepieces which have a wider field of view. A 30mm one would work nice in your scope for viewing large objects like M31 - but they vary in quality as much as the smaller eyepieces. Hth :)

The 2" adapter is for 2" eyepieces, of which you have none at present. So, as above, just keep it stored safely until/unless you want to acquire/use a 2" eyepiece. No need for that until your mum gets used to using the scope

Hope you both have fun. ?

Edit: Beaten to the punch - twice!

Might be a bit wrong but I think that Skywatcher only started putting the dual 2" and 1.25" focusers on the 150 scope fairly recently. So was the scope fairly "new" from whoever you purchased it?

Comes to mind I wonder if they had the same trouble and sort of gave up and sold it.

A 2" eyepiece is also usually big, very big. When people say "coke can" size they mean it. I have 1 at 20mm and it really is a chunk. So suggest you do not rush out to get one for the hell of it.

7 hours ago, ronin said:

Might be a bit wrong but I think that Skywatcher only started putting the dual 2" and 1.25" focusers on the 150 scope fairly recently. So was the scope fairly "new" from whoever you purchased it?

I bought mine 5/6 years ago and both adaptors were in the focuser. Interestingly I have just(today) taken delivery of an 8" truss tube GOTO S/W and neither adaptor was in place.

BTW if I had £1 for every time somebody had this problem I would be spending even more on gear :icon_biggrin:

Glad you have it working now, you should get some great views once you get it pointed skyward.

I just double checked my un-boxing pics for my 300P and both fittings were in the same box but not connected together and both had their caps on.

As said before this is a common problem so nothing to be worried about, I don't know if they are true but I have heard rumours of people selling on the scope because they couldn't get it to focus which is a real shame as it's a great starter scope if you get it working.

Hi all,

Just to add to this thread, just received today SW 150PDS arrived with 1.25" eyepiece holder  in focuser and 2" eyepiece insert in box. and my 2" eyepiece, the manual included does nothing to explain the setup for using the various eyepieces being 1.25 or 2 inch adapters. rather disappointing for someone starting out. this needs addressing by the manufactures in their literature. I to have looked at their online manuals and they are general not specific to the model purchased especially regarding Dobs/Newts. This forum helps to clear things up.

good work guys helped me out to.

Andy 

8 hours ago, fozzybear said:

I to have looked at their online manuals and they are general not specific to the model purchased especially regarding Dobs/Newts. This forum helps to clear things up.

I think the knowledge base here is more useful than a lot of the manuals. 

It might be helpful for the manufacturers to monitor astro. forums to see what the end user thinks.

Archived