Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What is Jupiter like right now?

Canter_Zac13

I want to view Jupiter through my new telescope but, it's not visible in my area until like 1 A.M. I don't want to get up and get all set up then look at Jupiter and not see the red spot or any of its moons. Does anybody know what Jupiter will look like tonight? Thanks?

Here's a neat little stand-alone guide to Jupiter that you set to your local-time and place, and it will show you where the 4 major Moons are around the planet - as well as the current location of the Great Red-Spot (GRS). Or for anytime you set it to. Free, of course:

http://astrosurf.com/rondi/jupiter/

Enjoy!

Dave

In the UK it's on the meridian (at its highest) just before dawn at the moment, presumably it's similar in the US. I was observing it 6am a few days ago and it was stunning! Right now, it's best to get up early than stay up late because it will be higher in the sky and the atmosphere makes more difference than anything else :) This was my sketch through a 7" scope

Jupiter 4:1:17.jpg

21 minutes ago, timwetherell said:

In the UK it's on the meridian (at its highest) just before dawn at the moment, presumably it's similar in the US. I was observing it 6am a few days ago and it was stunning! Right now, it's best to get up early than stay up late because it will be higher in the sky and the atmosphere makes more difference than anything else :) This was my sketch through a 7" scope

Jupiter 4:1:17.jpg

Wonderful sketch Tim! 7" refractor presumably?

On 03/01/2017 at 19:10, Knighty2112 said:

Not sure where you are, but the shadow or Europa starts across Jupiter at 1:05am UK time. GRS starts showing from just gone 3am, and then the transit of Europa starts at approx 3:30am until just before 6am. 

That's great information.  Is that just experience or was this from a reference source as I'd love to have access to info like this.

Edit:  Just seen Dave in Vermont's post.  Thanks.

On 04/01/2017 at 01:51, Dave In Vermont said:

Here's a neat little stand-alone guide to Jupiter that you set to your local-time and place, and it will show you where the 4 major Moons are around the planet - as well as the current location of the Great Red-Spot (GRS). Or for anytime you set it to. Free, of course:

http://astrosurf.com/rondi/jupiter/

Enjoy!

Dave

That's brilliant.  Thanks for that link Dave :thumbright:

21 minutes ago, RayD said:

That's great information.  Is that just experience or was this from a reference source as I'd love to have access to info like this.

Edit:  Just seen Dave in Vermont's post.  Thanks.

I use SkySafari for this, gives great info both graphically and in the info section. Tapping the clock on the right of each event takes you directly to it in the planetarium.

IMG_8572.PNG

IMG_8573.PNG

IMG_8574.PNG

47 minutes ago, Stu said:

I use SkySafari for this, gives great info both graphically and in the info section. Tapping the clock on the right of each event takes you directly to it in the planetarium.

IMG_8572.PNG

IMG_8573.PNG

IMG_8574.PNG

Which version is this Stu?  I'm on Android and there is Skysfari 5 @ £2.79 and 5 Plus @ £14.49.  Both by Simulation Curriculum Corp.

Thanks

Skysafari just did 50% off offer in December. They seem to do them quite often too, so if you can hold out a little it might save you a little money. You could of course buy the basic Skysafari 5 at £2.29, which most likely will show the changes on Jupiter too, then upgrade to Skysafari 5Plus when it is on 50% off offer. :) 

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 18:38, Canter_Zac13 said:

I want to view Jupiter through my new telescope but, it's not visible in my area until like 1 A.M. I don't want to get up and get all set up then look at Jupiter and not see the red spot or any of its moons. Does anybody know what Jupiter will look like tonight? Thanks?

I have to ask this. What scope do you have? It is possible to see the GRS and it becomes easily identifiable with good seeing conditions but it still takes a little skill to pick it out with scopes of 80mm or less.

Archived