Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wow, I'm impressed

My "Turn left at Orion" arrived this afternoon. It's the revised edition and I'm really impressed. Whoever suggested that I should get it, "Thank you". Going to look forward to reading this bad boy. 

TLAO is such a great guide that i honestly think a copy of it either paper, or digital should be included with every single telescope ever sold. It sells brilliantly as is......but i'm sure the guys who wrote/write it could come to some licensing agreement with telescope retailers. One of the authors (Guy C) is actually a priest based in Vatican city. I saw him on tv the other week giving a tour of the Vatican observatory and talking about religion and astronomy and how they go hand in hand rather than against each other.

7 minutes ago, noah4x4 said:

Don't forget it's companion resource at http://www.cambridge.org/features/turnleft/

On-line it offers many illustrations that didn't make the book. Hence additional views by naked eye; finderscope; different magnification from the primary illustrations.

Never seen that. Will check it out.

On 30/12/2016 at 20:01, LukeSkywatcher said:

I saw him on tv the other week giving a tour of the Vatican observatory and talking about religion and astronomy and how they go hand in hand rather than against each other.

Oh interesting. Any idea  If this is still available to watch anywhere?

I had the privilege of meeting Guy when he gave a lecture on "The Vatican and its place Astronomy" in the City of York, some few years ago, a very talented speaker and thoroughly nice man to talk with. The most amusing climax to the evening, was the extremely long queue of Astronomers, clutching their copies of TLAO for him to sign as co author. My copy now has pride of place on the bookshelf, it remains in pristine unused condition, as I acquired another copy for practical use :) 

Archived