NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Please help me choose a travel companion

DRT

Over the past year I have been putting together a good quality travel set-up that will hopefully avoid me having to commandeer 80% of the space in the car when Mrs T and I go on holiday. So far I have acquired a TV60, a TelePod tripod, a Lunt 50Ha, a Quark and a number of Tele Vue 1.125" EPs. Within the next few days a Tele-Optic Giro GR-2 Mini with dual mount arm will arrive from Germany. I will then have a fantastic dual-mounted Solar set-up and a single night time scope (the TV60).

The Giro Mini GR-2 will cope with up to 4kg per side. I am looking for something to go side-by-side with the TV60 that will give me more magnification in a relatively small package.

Any suggestions?

If looking at Maks the 102 is nice for its size, still wish i had kept the one i had, but if you wanted a Mak and did not mind a bit of a spend then a 140 OMC carbon fibre from OO could be a nice scope plus you could have all the fun of dealing with them

Thanks, guys. I think I might try to pick up a small Mak and give that a go as I have never owned one so it seems like a good opportunity to get one.

@Stu - A Tak is on the wish list but it wont be a tiddler like the FC100 :wink:

@nightfisher - I was hoping to take one on holiday this year so  will give the OO UK waiting list a miss :grin:

@bish - I did suggest to Mrs T that we could buy a roof box but she thought she would get a bit cold on long journeys :lol:

Just now, DRT said:

Thanks, guys. I think I might try to pick up a small Mak and give that a go as I have never owned one so it seems like a good opportunity to get one.

@Stu - A Tak is on the wish list but it wont be a tiddler like the FC100 :wink:

@nightfisher - I was hoping to take one on holiday this year so  will give the OO UK waiting list a miss :grin:

@bish - I did suggest to Mrs T that we could buy a roof box but she thought she would get a bit cold on long journeys :lol:

It might be small Derek, but it packs a punch!! :) 

I have done some research today and have found that for my 4kg I can have a 4" Mak (SW 102 or similar) or a 5" SCT (Celestron C5 or similar). The Mak would have more focal length but the extra 25% aperture is appealing.

Any advice?

4 minutes ago, DRT said:

I have done some research today and have found that for my 4kg I can have a 4" Mak (SW 102 or similar) or a 5" SCT (Celestron C5 or similar). The Mak would have more focal length but the extra 25% aperture is appealing.

Any advice?

Depends what you are wanting to achieve Derek. The SCT would probably appeal more because of the shorter focal length, and as you say, the aperture is useful.

14 minutes ago, Stu said:

Depends what you are wanting to achieve Derek. The SCT would probably appeal more because of the shorter focal length, and as you say, the aperture is useful.

What I'm looking for is something that will give a good amount of magnification compared to the TV60. The TV60 is great for wide field viewing but I would like a companion for it that would give me a descent high mag image on a range of Solar System targets and DSOs.

I also want something that will double-up as a great spotting scope. We tend to holiday in the UK these days and being able to use it for wildlife during the day and counting Saturn's rings in the evening is appealing.

At this point I am swaying towards the C5...

8 hours ago, DRT said:

What I'm looking for is something that will give a good amount of magnification compared to the TV60. The TV60 is great for wide field viewing but I would like a companion for it that would give me a descent high mag image on a range of Solar System targets and DSOs.

I also want something that will double-up as a great spotting scope. We tend to holiday in the UK these days and being able to use it for wildlife during the day and counting Saturn's rings in the evening is appealing.

At this point I am swaying towards the C5...

Yep, in that case I think a C5 would work.

• 2 weeks later...

Trigger pulled (after selling some stuff) so one of these will be collected from RVO tomorrow morning...

Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 23.20.11.png

...and according to DPD the saddles for my new Giro GR-2 Mini will be delivered tomorrow so I will be good to go!

Now all I need is a holiday :grin:

Thanks for the advice above - much appreciated.

On 1/5/2017 at 23:22, DRT said:

Trigger pulled (after selling some stuff) so one of these will be collected from RVO tomorrow morning...

Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 23.20.11.png

...and according to DPD the saddles for my new Giro GR-2 Mini will be delivered tomorrow so I will be good to go!

Now all I need is a holiday :grin:

Thanks for the advice above - much appreciated.

Very nice, everyone needs an SCT or Mak.

Alan

Archived