Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The inaugural StuPOD, winner announced!

Stu

On 14/06/2018 at 18:08, Littleguy80 said:

The picture represents the first time I managed to capture the GRS in an image. Handheld iPhone 8 through a 5mm BGO at 240x. I’m pretty sure it is the GRS and not just dirt on the lens ;) 2C683958-87E2-44A0-9357-6E14E78AB995.thumb.jpeg.f424ad11ed307656137473613544593c.jpeg

On 23/06/2018 at 13:56, ro88ieuk said:

Man in the Moon peeping out of high wispy cloud...Samsung J3 through one eye piece of20x80 Celestron 'noculars one in negative mode

20180621_201733.jpg

20180621_201836.jpg

I do apologise to the two entrants above, both of which thoroughly deserve a Stupod for their respective days. The judge was obviously asleep at the wheel!

Neil's GRS is clearly visible, and I love the atmospheric moon shot through the binos which ro88ie has captured.

There is a steward's enquiry going on regarding Helen's entry today ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I found myself thinking that an award such as the StuPod needs a prize. There are strict rules and winning takes real dedication! I've created the following image that can be added to your signature. I should say that this image is in no way endorsed or approved by the judge of StuPod!

235800355_stupodwinner.png.57846ed61e7432f6fa73b7361a9f73c5.png

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Littleguy80 said:

I found myself thinking that an award such as the StuPod needs a prize. There are strict rules and winning takes real dedication! I've created the following image that can be added to your signature. I should say that this image is in no way endorsed or approved by the judge of StuPod!

235800355_stupodwinner.png.57846ed61e7432f6fa73b7361a9f73c5.png

I like it alot!! Thank you Neil, presumably created on a smartphone?? :shocked:

• Like 1

This has got to win me this coveted prize :)

This was captured with the iPhone X, Procam on Tiff setting and 10x digital zoom on the 'telephoto' lens, manual focus and exposure, no telescope involved. Handheld, resting the phone on the car roof in Lidl car park. 

I used Stu's invaluable advice and cropped to remove all the distractions from the background sky :) Slight processing with PS express.

I got narky questions as to what I was doing from a family who were getting out of their car at the time as well, and when I told them I was taking a picture of the moon, they said they couldn't see it (they were closer to the building that the Moon was above than I) When I explained angles to them in the nicest possible terms, they continued to be narky, so I showed them (the moon, then my photo) and they harrumphed, some people! Anyway the point is I suffered for this image, so I deserve the prize.

Plus I know the judge personally, so I doubly deserve the prize, ahem.

1952484040_Phonefullmoon.jpg.c86cec0877f957307875fbac2ff47862.jpg

Edited by johnfosteruk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

So, with Helen now complying with the rules I can announce her as the winner for Monday! Congrats Helen!!

John, for your long suffering dedication, and the superb pixelated effort you can take today’s prize! A fine effort, particularly considering the lack of a scope!  :)

? ?

• Haha 1

@Stu Congratulations to Helen and John, but I'm worried that the standard on entries is getting far too high.

Please accept an advanced entry for tomorrow's StuPod.

Not the incredible array of DSOs that are invisible in this image - M31, M32, M33, the double cluster, heart and Soul Nebulas, Pacman nebula. Innumerable open and globular clusters.

Its perfection is only slightly blemished by the presence of a few recognisable stars...

Hand held with my Moto G5 with no cheating processing at all ?

sky.thumb.JPG.b6fdd80f0a7954b46cfa1825326970a4.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

Is there not a rule prohibiting manipulation of time? 

Advance entry indeed!

Agreed, John. The prize for today has been awarded PREMATURELY! I’m here to present my rather brilliantly overexposed and totally unprocessed Lunar X and Lunar V picture. Took this bad boy last week. Totally handheld. There were a couple of pigeons that kept looking at me funny while I took it. I could’ve been pecked to death but that didn’t stop me. I’m ready to die for my art. Anyway enough of my heroics. I present today’s clear winner:

6D18F274-5E18-4E24-9CCF-0A92063FAD49.thumb.jpeg.010cb2f76ca12679ff5976c9ec31b10f.jpeg

• Haha 1

Can I just remind entrants that any attempts to influence the judge (other than straight financial bribes) will be frowned upon.

Please also more that rational thought does not always determine the winning entry! Neil, I’m happy to award a second StuPOD in this instance, congratulations! I am having to adjust my expectations up from about one entry per month, so please bear with me!! As of tomorrow judging will happen towards the end of the day, and any after this will go into the next day ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

Can I just remind entrants that any attempts to influence the judge (other than straight financial bribes) will be frowned upon.

Please also more that rational thought does not always determine the winning entry! Neil, I’m happy to award a second StuPOD in this instance, congratulations! I am having to adjust my expectations up from about one entry per month, so please bear with me!! As of tomorrow judging will happen towards the end of the day, and any after this will go into the next day ?

Yes! A great day. This completes a hat trick of StuPODs for me. However, like my wife, I can never be satisfied and shall therefore continue to strive for further awards!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Yes! A great day. This completes a hat trick of StuPODs for me. However, like my wife, I can never be satisfied and shall therefore continue to strive for further awards!

I would expect nothing less Neil ;)

I have some exciting kit to use now, plus a Celestron NeXYZ mount on its way so hopefully will up my game too! :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

so hopefully will up my game too

So your results will stand on their own and you'll have no need to bribe the judge. I am pleased :)

BTW, you mentioned financial bribes before, do you have a price list? And are Jaffa Cakes currency?

Just asking.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, adyj1 said:

Just found this thread and thought I'd post a holiday shot. 20s exposure with Oneplus 3t phone resting on a bin in a camping site near Salcombe. Revel in the cygnus region ? ;

IMG_20180811_001230.jpg

Very nice. I think that should be a week next thursday’s winner. ?