Narrowband

The inaugural StuPOD, winner announced!

Stu

My attempt at jupiter. Original post here below. There are 2 images, one with chromatic aberration but better detail, one without chromatic aberration and less detail. Imaged with iphone 5s in procam4.

jupiter best attempt 2 better detail chromatic aberration.jpg

jupiter best attempt 2.jpg

Edited by Ahgii
  • Like 1

That's a great shot Aghii, I'm pleased to announce you as today's winner!!

The thread has been a little quiet lately but hopefully it will pick up again as we get some darkness back

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

That's a great shot Aghii, I'm pleased to announce you as today's winner!!

The thread has been a little quiet lately but hopefully it will pick up again as we get some darkness back

Well thank you a lot. Made my day, hopefully will win future contests.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well, in order to give this thread a kick, and at the suggestion of Mr Foster, the judges (i.e. Me) have decided that I have won today's StuPOD award with some moon shots from last night.

Feel free to post your smartphone images up for consideration :) 

IMG_4464.JPG

IMG_4465.JPG

IMG_4466.JPG

• Like 6

Far too good Stu, I was browsing around the Moon last night with the SCT, never thought of taking a pic :rolleyes2:

Wouldn't be surprised if that second image turns up on the UFO sites as proof of previous life on the Moon :alien: looks like a radar dish to me.

Dave

PS: What was that iPhone image processing app called ?

20 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Far too good Stu, I was browsing around the Moon last night with the SCT, never thought of taking a pic :rolleyes2:

Wouldn't be surprised if that second image turns up on the UFO sites as proof of previous life on the Moon :alien: looks like a radar dish to me.

Dave

PS: What was that iPhone image processing app called ?

That 'radar dish' was fantastic through the scope, a real 3D effect with the shadow caste against the edge of the crater.

I use Procam 5 to take the images and PS Express to tweak them.

IMG_4467.PNG

IMG_4468.PNG

• Like 1

Not sure I can really call this my own work even, I visited the Atacama last week as part of a South America trip, and went out on an evening's Astro event with 'Time Travel Atacama'.

This was taken on my iPhone SE, using their AR127 scope, eyepiece projected.

IMG_0448.thumb.JPG.24a54d6467c943c5b9c338f00773220a.JPG

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Bruce Leeroy said:

I might have previously posted this :) iPhone moon panorama just letting the moon drift through the view and a stacked image of Jupiter also captured on the iPhone, furrysocks2 kindly stacked the image for me!

IMG_2322.JPG

jup93.png

Bruce, was the moon shot taken using the iPhone Panoramic mode? I had assumed this worked by detecting camera movement but this implies it looks at the content and builds the content from that which is more useful

3 minutes ago, Horwig said:

Not sure I can really call this my own work even, I visited the Atacama last week as part of a South America trip, and went out on an evening's Astro event with 'Time Travel Atacama'.

This was taken on my iPhone SE, using their AR127 scope, eyepiece projected.

IMG_0448.thumb.JPG.24a54d6467c943c5b9c338f00773220a.JPG

If you held the camera and pressed the button it is your work :) 

Nice shot!

Tonight I present to you the Great (mediocre) Orion Nebula. Using a full 1 second exposure on an iPhone 8 and the Nightcap app, I was able to capture one of the most photographed wonders of the night sky. I also used sliders in the Pixelmator app to try and hide all the funny red bits in the image. I hope you and the judge enjoy the image! 

023BE979-9BCE-4E52-925E-0BF5F8DF9BF4.thumb.jpeg.064e087f70e1213b812c68bdcb63253f.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

Tonight I present to you the Great (mediocre) Orion Nebula. Using a full 1 second exposure on an iPhone 8 and the Nightcap app, I was able to capture one of the most photographed wonders of the night sky. I also used sliders in the Pixelmator app to try and hide all the funny red bits in the image. I hope you and the judge enjoy the image! 

023BE979-9BCE-4E52-925E-0BF5F8DF9BF4.thumb.jpeg.064e087f70e1213b812c68bdcb63253f.jpeg

Congratulations Littleguy80, a clear winner for today. The soft stellar focus belies a subtlety in the way you have processed the nebulosity :p 

StuPOD is not often blessed with Deep Sky images, you have done well :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Congratulations Littleguy80, a clear winner for today. The soft stellar focus belies a subtlety in the way you have processed the nebulosity :p 

StuPOD is not often blessed with Deep Sky images, you have done well :)

I don't know what to say, I never expected to win! I'd like to thank my wife for her instance that I "go outside and leave her alone". Without her encouragement I may never have taken the winning picture. I'd also like to thank the judge for his kind words and for picking my picture ahead of all the other entries on the day ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 5 weeks later...

I was looking at the moon this morning and took this photo with my phone.

It's through a st120/10mm slv/solar continuum filt.

I like to think it's got an arty Andy Warhol effect to it.. or you could say it looks like a giant bogey. :)

20171209_081816_HDR.thumb.jpg.434ac014b2712f7fb6b08f1368c42f4a.jpg

Edited by Paz
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Paz, that is quite an achievement! ;) Certainly our most colourful entry to date I think :) 

Thanks very much, with skills like these maybe I should get into astro photography! ?

• Like 1

Here's my effort taken hand-held up to my 15mm TV plossl in my Lunt 50mm DS.  The phone really struggles to auto focus and control exposure, and I really struggle to hold it steady and flat on!  I played with the photo editing graphs on the phone not really understanding what I was doing, to twiddle out this cropped image:

20171129_215040.jpg.2303c90c5048b32dd40bc636d381cd7b.jpg

Way, waaaayyyy better visually with just a Mk I eyeball than this pic shows ;)

• Like 4

Great image Niall, not easy. Have you tried any of the apps that give better control of exposure? I use ProCam 4 and it works very well. I'll add my lunar image from this morning in just so the judges have a little more work to do ;) 

IMG_5066.JPG

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Great image Niall, not easy. Have you tried any of the apps that give better control of exposure? I use ProCam 4 and it works very well. I'll add my lunar image from this morning in just so the judges have a little more work to do ;) 

IMG_5066.JPG

Very professional looking!!

Thanks for the tip: must look up that app like you suggest :thumbsup:!  That, and I'll try not to guzzle so much coffee for a steadier hand... :grin:

• Haha 1