Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Niagara Falls?

AngLeoSr

Hi all!:headbang: I'm Ang. As a lot of the beginners, have always had the interest.Having another expensive hobby( RC planes,Heli's,and race cars) ,that I've really enjoyed the last 25 years, got the itch to finally take the leap, and started gazing in my huge semi dark yard with a nice set of Nikon zoom binoculars, and quickly wanting more power, and I never do things small....

So picked up a older Bresser AR127L 1200mm F9.4 Achro,( just love refractors ,not light buckets).Came with a 2" GSO 99% Diagonal ,and a Baader semi- Apo CA/ Fringe killer filter,and some cheap EP's, for a great price ,on a rarely used scope that's immaculate. Then of course realizing I needed a kick butt mount to hold this beast,so bought a new Advance VX mount.

I pick up things quick, and as the last few months went by before spending, did ALOT of research.Leading me to buying the Bresser, researching the best mount ,deciding on GoTo. I got the setup out for first light,and mount /scope set up,balance ..installed a polar scope,aligned that to mount,then to polaris, and on first try,got the GoTo really close, and star hopped in amazement, waited days for a clear night and got 10 miles away ( along lake Ontario) to a fairly dark site,set up,did a ASPA alignment,got GoTo spot on...and got my first galaxies in view,Some more DSO,stars, ... this scope did nicely,and I'm even more hooked.

Just this past week, I got a crosshair EP,Meade's 6 PC. HD-60 EP SET, A ES 82deg. 28mm 2" EP,  A  Luminos 19mm 2", and the Luminos 2.5X APO Barlow. To really advance my views. And boy did they! I awoke at 4am Tuesday, and got Jupiter lined up high in the sky ,and I'm blown away by the Giant! And...5 moons!  With a 6.5mm...This scope rocked it...without the filter,absolutely no CA, ...Heck, the moon looked great with only a tiny bit,...I will probably sell the Baader CA filter for a UHC one.

Only problem with the Bresser ,was the focuser was so damn touchy,sticky,and notchy...was hard to get fine focus. So finally.. Contacted Jim @ scope stuff,again doing stupid amounts of research,the last few days ordered a GSO 2 Speed crayford focuser,and A adaptor for the tube (yea,got a change the entire end of the OTA) which will be here next week. And get that fitted.

PHEW! Sorry it winded people,but that's my story, and plan on one more night with the old focuser(Sunday night may be clear) before making my sweet scope even sweeter.Thanks for all the info, I've been lerking in the shadows here for some time..And finally posted.

Clear Skies to you all!!! 

Ang Leo

Welcome Ang. Great looking setup you have there.

One thing to note, you will only ever see four moons around Jupiter. Known as the Galilean moons, the others are two faint to be seen with amateur scopes.

Enjoy your scope :) 

Thanks guys! I will try and find answers before posting.

Huh, who knew I could only see 4 moons, must of been a star in the field of view. Was a great view, gonna try some color filters next time, see if I can get some more detail ,a Lil less white wash. It was very bright. Still no CA.

17 minutes ago, AngLeoSr said:

Thanks guys! I will try and find answers before posting.

Huh, who knew I could only see 4 moons, must of been a star in the field of view. Was a great view, gonna try some color filters next time, see if I can get some more detail ,a Lil less white wash. It was very bright. Still no CA.

No harm in doing research before posting but do feel free to ask any questions you like on the forum.

You should be able to get some nice views of Jupiter with you scope, try at around x180 or so. It may be the seeing conditions and the altitude, try on different nights and when the planet is at its highest altitude for the night.

A Baader Neodymium filter works well at cutting the glare and making the detail easier to see.

Hi Ang and welcome to SGL, it is a different ball game achieving focus with a two speed Crayford, compared to the original rack and pinion units fitted to refractors  you should find it money well spent. Enjoy your new scope and the forum :) 

Archived