NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mars at 6.9 arc seconds

mikeDnight

Tonight Mars was well placed in a clear sky so i thought I'd take a quick look. The disc was tiny and the image boiled for a while, but once cooled, the scope performed wonderfully. Surface markings were easily seen but it was impossible to say what they represented until after the sketch was made, and I'd worked out the meridian and tilt from the BAA handbook. The details are recorded on the sketch! It turns out that Solis Lacus is at the lower left of the disc. I observed using a prism diagonal so north is top. Initially I used my binoviewer and a power of 150 but although detail was seen, I eventually increased the magnification to X296 to obtain a reasonable image scale.

Sorry the image is poor, it was taken in artificial light!

Mike

2016-11-20 20.38.49.jpg

Lovely sketch Mike, it is not dis-similar to what I saw the other night which I reported in the obseravation section, though I was talking about the value of good collimation ( see I can spell). I was using a larger though not as good a quality scope and close to the same power at one point. That Tak of yours is quite something:icon_biggrin:.

Alan

19 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Excellent drawing and observation Mike.  I hope you'll send it in to the BAA Mars section

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy. Unfortunately I haven't been a BAA member for a very long time. I've thought about rejoining but always seem to find something else to spend my limited funds on. Perhaps I should give it some thought! I was a member of the SPA for quite a few years, some of which I spent as the planetary section director, but I spent nearly all my spare time discussing observing by e-mail rather than actually observing. If i were to join the BAA I would certainly contribute to the Mars section as the planet is perhaps my favourite target. 

Mike

You'd be very welcome back Mike! I can see that your observations are really good and they'd definitely be welcomed at the BAA.

Funnily enhough, I've just chaired a BAA Board mtg in London, one of my BAA Presidential duties, and then met up with the Planetary section Director of the Astro Soc of Southern Africa who is over here for a few days, and the main topic of conversation was Mars. Of course it's much higher in the sky over there!

Jeremy

Archived