NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar Eclipse...

Greg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just had a look - great website Greg!

Glad you've got clear skies.

Was clear when I left for work (at 6.50am) up here in Connah's Quay, North Wales. :sunny:

Brought my 90mm Mak, with 26mm plossl and Baader Sun filter over the front of scope. :D

7421_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Arrived in Liverpool 7.55am - completely clouded over! !"£$%^&*()_+!!!" :D

7420_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Best wishes for a good view from where you are!

Regards,

philsail1

Just been watching through a pair of eclipse viewers I have kept from the 1999 total eclipse. There is only a very thin sliver showing here this far south in France, must get back to fitting the new living room window :D

Archie

Had lots of breaks in the cloud here in Surrey, so I was able to get a good view with my ETX-70 and filter, from first contact to just after maximum.

One question. Could I really see the roughness of the moon's surface against the sun, or was that just an optical illusion?

Cheers

Richard

The shows over from my location. Despite having a trial run everything that could have gone wrong imaging wise did go wrong and I ended up observing which was a shame as I could have got a decent sequence for an animation. :D

We missed the first couple of minutes but watched the rest. Put the PSTs away and got out the special Binos. It finished at 11-05 here. Even took a photo. (If you noticed the sun flashed that was when the flash on the camera fired.) Still all good fun with much shouting and gong banging to make the dragon eating the sun go away.

One thing I did notice was that, as often happens, the eye/brain lies compared to reality. Taking a photo there was less sun covered than I thought was when observing same view. For a few seconds after going back to the eyepiece the amount seen and that in the photo seemed about the same - then it went back to more covered by observation. I understand we got to 15% coverage at maximum.

Helen,

Thanks for the website you posted, I really enjoyed watching the eclipse programme.

I was on tenterhooks with the clouds only parting a few minutes before totality, it brought it all back from when I went to Chile in 1994 :D

--

Martyn

Archived