NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What is your Favorite Site on the Moon?

Corkeyno2

I'm very fond of the lava-filled crater Plato, just beneath Mare Frigoris in the north - there is a great contrast between its flat, smooth circular floor and its rough, raised perimeter.  And when conditions are right, those tiny craterlets in the floor pop into view - marvellous!

Doug.

Hello. I have been spending some time on Albategnius linked in with Hipparchus just above the highly pitted crater zone of the southern high!ands area of the moon. I have recently got a Pentax 3.5xw and on good night's of seeing has really allowed me to get inside the massive crater of Albategnius and therefore seeing the crater in such more detail including the ridge bank edges up the  of the side of this crater, and then the mountain range in such great detail. The Pentax has really given me the opportunity due to its great eye relief to stay longer at the eyepiece and it's optics are just so sharp allowing me to gather in much more detail than I have ever had before in my refractor. And IMO the moon just looks so much sharper and crisper in a nice refractor apo☺

I've like Petavius and its rille system. When the terminator is near (but not on the crater) the rille has a well defined shadow that really marks it out. I remember a former work supervisor talking to me about it once which got me interested (he was an avid lunar observer). 

Dan. :happy7:

Archived