NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ED80 has false colour?

nightfisher

Maybe the smallest glint around the bottom, Jules.

I'm not sure ED's are said to be 100% colour free, but just very low levels of CA. I think you need a good triplet to get absolute colour free views, but then you get a longer cool down time with a triplet. The Synta ED's are a very good compromise for the price, think I've had 5 or 6 in varying sizes over the years :) 

Also the Moon has got to be the toughest test.

Very nice image by the way! 

On 05/11/2016 at 22:37, nightfisher said:

1000D prime focus Stu,

Like i say im not knocking it and love the scope, sorry i did not get to say cheerio at sgl12

Likewise Jules. I enjoyed seeing your 'mugshot' of me from the drone :) 

Funny but its the same hue as i would get with the TAL100, cant help thinking the TAL was slightly better on controlling CA, but very little in it, and the ED80 is more versatile, here is an image from tonight, getting better

Luna 07.11.16 wavelets.png

4 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Not a lot wrong with that Jules. Are you doing single shots?

Do you have a comparable with the Tal?

I've got his Tal Shane had some great views with it out last night Christmas tree cluster was outstanding. 

6 hours ago, Moonshane said:

Not a lot wrong with that Jules. Are you doing single shots?

Do you have a comparable with the Tal?

Yes single shot as not on driven mount, hope to try some stacked from the EQ5 at weekend if weather plays fair, might have a Tal image on other laptop will have a look tonight

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly an accurate method but a quick check on stellarium shows the moon on the 5th, at only 16° or so off the horizon when the sun was setting so my guess a lot of the false colour was down to atmospheric diffraction if you were imaging it at a similar altitude.

19 hours ago, spaceboy said:

Not exactly an accurate method but a quick check on stellarium shows the moon on the 5th, at only 16° or so off the horizon when the sun was setting so my guess a lot of the false colour was down to atmospheric diffraction if you were imaging it at a similar altitude.

Good post and good point, yes the Moon was low, my location give a bit of a false horizon as the ground drops away sharply past the garden so the moon would appear higher than it really is, as said before i am happy with the ED80 and as time goes by i will get better results from it

Archived