NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

An excited 6 year old

rockystar

My daughter got home at about 7 last night, and noticing that it was clear, as soon as she got through the door: "daddy , can I have look through your telescope?"

I'd already planned to go out with it, as the forecast was to be clear all night, so I quickly set it up to show her some of the wonders. 

She struggled to see anything with my 14mm Morpheus - not sure why, probably not getting her eye in the right place - so I stuck in the 24mm ES, which she had better luck with. This is what we looked at:

Albireo, which got her very excited to see the different colours.

Double Cluster, which got a bit of a gasp at the number of stars she could see.

M31, which got a bit of a "meh!", so i tried explaining how far away it was and that it was a whole other galaxy.

She then got distracted by the fireworks, which didn't do the transparency any good, and she started to get cold as she wouldn't put a coat on!

I tried to show her M13, but it was really low down in the murk and not very impressive.

She then went to bed and I had some dinner before heading back out for another hour (before the cold and dew got to me). I only had two more targets, both of them new to me:

Uranus, it was nice to eventually track this down; very distinctly not a star, and with a bit of power I started to draw out a bit of a light greeny/blue colour, couldn't seen any moons though.

Blue Snowball, this was another one that I'd previously had trouble finding, but I think a bit of experience is starting to show in hopping to the targets and I found it pretty easily. Spent a bit of time on this, changing up magnification and swapping out filters, but never really got much more than a small fuzzy ball, possibly a hint of blue, but that could have been imagination - i don't think the firework smoke was helping.

Time spent with your children like this is very precious and an utter joy.

Glad she got to see some of the night sky wonder with you.

My daughters both come and look sometimes, one more than the other, but even after all these years it's special time.

Nice report. Glad your daughter enjoyed the views. :)

Well done on bagging Uranus & the Blue snowball. I was observing Uranus and Neptune last night, along with the Blue snowball too. Seeing was OK'ish, but not very steady at high magnifications, but Uranus was obvious in my 14mm Morpheus straight away when in the fov.  

Very nice report, it is always nice when children get interesred in telescopes, My son is often wanting to see things but even at 9 it is a bit difficult, often dragging chairs and bricks into place for him to stand on. I am sure the eyepiece issue is only eye placement and nothing else.

Alan

I've always found the EP issue with small children - I got mine practicing with a microscope first, which helped a little. For my scopes, I have a long fl EP with good eye relief which also seems to work for them, even if to some folk here it's a bit like looking down a toilet roll. Easier with my Maks because the eye end is at the bottom, so no ladders required!

It's great to see kids interested in something other than dinosaurs or CBeebies, although even at 4, my grandson put me to shame; I was pointing out the ISS, and he asked what the little dot was beside it (not visible to Grandad). A quick look with the bins showed it was the supply rocket module alongside!

Chris

Kept my 6yr old up to show him the Milky way over the summer and got clouded out. Recently dragged him to a starparty as well to keep the promise.... very boring for him, much cloud.... but a tiny hole in the cloud with a clear milky band, which has made him very happy. I tried to wake him later as the clouds had parted more but failed! 

I tend to get them to hold my hand rather than the eyepiece which they all seem to want to do.

cheers

peter

On 02/11/2016 at 20:31, rockystar said:

My daughter got home at about 7 last night, and noticing that it was clear, as soon as she got through the door: "daddy , can I have look through your telescope?"

I'd already planned to go out with it, as the forecast was to be clear all night, so I quickly set it up to show her some of the wonders. 

She struggled to see anything with my 14mm Morpheus - not sure why, probably not getting her eye in the right place - so I stuck in the 24mm ES, which she had better luck with. This is what we looked at:

Albireo, which got her very excited to see the different colours.

Double Cluster, which got a bit of a gasp at the number of stars she could see.

M31, which got a bit of a "meh!", so i tried explaining how far away it was and that it was a whole other galaxy.

She then got distracted by the fireworks, which didn't do the transparency any good, and she started to get cold as she wouldn't put a coat on!

I tried to show her M13, but it was really low down in the murk and not very impressive.

She then went to bed and I had some dinner before heading back out for another hour (before the cold and dew got to me). I only had two more targets, both of them new to me:

Uranus, it was nice to eventually track this down; very distinctly not a star, and with a bit of power I started to draw out a bit of a light greeny/blue colour, couldn't seen any moons though.

Blue Snowball, this was another one that I'd previously had trouble finding, but I think a bit of experience is starting to show in hopping to the targets and I found it pretty easily. Spent a bit of time on this, changing up magnification and swapping out filters, but never really got much more than a small fuzzy ball, possibly a hint of blue, but that could have been imagination - i don't think the firework smoke was helping.

I was lucky enough to have exactly the same thing last night. My 4year old daughter has been desperate to have a look through one of my scopes for a few months now and I'd promised her if we got a clear night over half term she could have a peer. As I'm sure several of you may have noticed :evil6: the last week or so hasn't been the best for observing so we missed out over the break from school. Last night she yet again piped up "is it cloudy tonight daddy?" and as a result the game was on. By virtue of the fact it was a school night, we're all shattered due to 3 week old baby bro, the cold and the the common cry of the lesser spotted 4 year old "daddy I need a wee!" it ended up being a very brief session but we grabbed the c6 and managed to tick off mars and M45 but she couldn't see M31 (it was as clear to me as it could ever be but she is only 4). It was wonderful to be able to share her excitement and she couldn't wait to run in to the house and tell mummy "we've just seen Mars ACTUALLY IN SPACE" :icon_biggrin:

IMG_0001.JPG

46 minutes ago, rockystar said:

I had the same, but once I described what to look for, she got it, but she is a little bit older :)

I'm sure it was a case of she could see it but didn't know what it was she was looking at (I know for a fact her eyesight is a damn sight better than mine :angry5:), the problem is I'm at a bit of a loss as to how you described dso,s to kids. My best effort the other night was that the Milky Way was a bit like a "dim sparkly cloud and andromeda was a fuzzy blob" :blush:. Unfortunately I'm starting to think I may not be an "outreach kind of guy" :icon_pale:

.... which is why I use an image intensifier where the shear quantity of stars visible and obvious fuzzy blobbiness make it easier for people to grasp what you're showing them.... of course you have to explain the bright green slightly speckle image to them.

peter

Archived