Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

fed up with unc

Hi everyone. I can walk into any hardware store and get m5 -or mwhatever- bolts off the shelf. Each time I need an 1/4 unc, it's a 2 week wait from ebay. 

1. Can I send just send a m5 tap through a 1/4 unc hole and expect it to hold?

2. Is it possible to use a hand held power tool to drill a 4mm hole in a vixen dovetail or must I go to a machine shop?

Cheers.

Whitworth thread standard follows UNC on TPI up to 1/2" where there is 0ne TPI difference. Whitworth is 55 degree thread angle opposed to 60 degree for UNC so Whitworth threaded screws will usually fit UNC but not vice versa.    :icon_biggrin:

1 minute ago, alacant said:

Ah, the tap again. Why not a hole with a nut and bolt? There must be a reason because every dovetail I've ever seen has threads!

A nut could foul something and a hole is cheaper than a nut :grin:

Dave

Just now, alacant said:

LOL. OK, I'm convinced. I'll put the cost of the nut towards my next takahashi!

Someone like Sky Watcher supplying thousands of dovetails would save the cost of thousands of nuts :grin:

Dave

Instead of hardware shops, try some local garages or machine/fabrication shops, you may be lucky, some may have 1/4" Whit or 1/4" UNC in their spares box.

Won`t any of the Ebay sellers, by arrangement, be prepared to send by special post to Alicante ? two weeks seems an awful long time to wait for post :hmh:

Archived