Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Steel grooved wheels for ROR

Astrokev

Hi All

Please can anyone recommend reputable suppliers of grooved steel wheels I can use to design my roll-off roof obsy?

I've seen both round grooved and V grooved wheels used for ROR's, both of which look suitable. Would V wheels be more tolerant of small errors in track alignment?

In addition, recommendations for suitable track for the wheels to run on would be great.

Many thanks for any help.

Kev

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Gina!

Which ones did you get - V or round groove wheels?

If I remember correctly I think you originally used castors on your obsy. Are you pleased you made the switch?

On a related matter - I'm also considering using rubber sheeting for my roof, which I also first saw on your build (you're a trail-blazer!). Is this still performing Ok?  I'm a bit nervous with rubber durability and tolerance to UV.

thanks

On one of ours I used garden gate V section wheels with matching vee section galvanized 'rails.' They are by far the best of all the various types of wheel and rail we have here. They run sweetly and with minimal resistance. If you get any shift in the fit it's easy enough to loosen and realign the rails on their timber supports. I haven't tried the round version.

We have tried various roofing materials here, too, and the very clear winner is corrugated galvanized steel. It doesn't distort, crack or degrade in any significant way. The oldest is going strong aftr 13 years. Roofing felt and synthetic corrugated panels are beginning to fail at 5 years. Another bonus is that corrugated steel can be successfully bolted down hard. You can drag snow off it without fearing that you'll tear it, you can walk on it if you have to. It may not be pretty but it really works. It does need an insulating layer under it but so does everythng else.

Olly

I used genuine Firestone EPDM on our log store 12  years ago and despite 100+ mph winds, -20 degrees in the winter, feet of snow its as good as the day it was installed. So it was a 'no-brainer' to  use it on my micro-observatory!

EPDM from here  http://www.permaroof.co.uk/

Images of obsy here  https://www.flickr.com/photos/113316085@N05/albums/72157663274320360

Another vote for the FH Brundle wheels from me too.  Combined with the V Track, they give a very smooth sliding roof.

I Used the wheels that fit inside the upper rail as they gave a low profile and minimised the gap that needed to be covered up but cannot find then on their website at the moment.  FHBrundles is at http://www.fhbrundle.co.uk

and the link to the track is here  http://www.fhbrundle.co.uk/products/0587604000__3_metre_Track_for_V_Grooved_Wheels_in_galvanised_steel

EDIT:   And here are the wheels  http://www.fhbrundle.co.uk/products/0586604000__80mm_Dia_V_Groove_Wheel_One_Ball_Bearing_Internal_Support

Cheers John

24-Wheels.jpg

I'd agree with John and Gina's comments re F H Brundle, fantastic service, quality and price.  I had to have one of my wheels returned (wrong item supplied out of a batch of 6)  - one phone call with no quibbles and the replacement arrived the next day .  They will also send you a catalogue which for an iron mongery nut like me is a fascinating read:happy8:

Jim

3 hours ago, JohnC64 said:

Another vote for the FH Brundle wheels from me too.  Combined with the V Track, they give a very smooth sliding roof.

I Used the wheels that fit inside the upper rail as they gave a low profile and minimised the gap that needed to be covered up but cannot find then on their website at the moment.  FHBrundles is at http://www.fhbrundle.co.uk

and the link to the track is here  http://www.fhbrundle.co.uk/products/0587604000__3_metre_Track_for_V_Grooved_Wheels_in_galvanised_steel

EDIT:   And here are the wheels  http://www.fhbrundle.co.uk/products/0586604000__80mm_Dia_V_Groove_Wheel_One_Ball_Bearing_Internal_Support

Cheers John

Thanks John.  These sound perfect, and are very reasonably priced!

4 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

I used genuine Firestone EPDM on our log store 12  years ago and despite 100+ mph winds, -20 degrees in the winter, feet of snow its as good as the day it was installed. So it was a 'no-brainer' to  use it on my micro-observatory!

Thanks Billy. Sounds good - note taken

Kev

9 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

On one of ours I used garden gate V section wheels with matching vee section galvanized 'rails.' They are by far the best of all the various types of wheel and rail we have here. They run sweetly and with minimal resistance. If you get any shift in the fit it's easy enough to loosen and realign the rails on their timber supports. I haven't tried the round version.

Thanks Olly. I think you've convinced me that V section is the way to go.  Looking at the FHBrundle site (thanks to all who recommended them) it looks like they've got what I need.  They're added to the list.  Just need to complete my design and then start work (all captured in my thread "Astrokev's Observatory Build - Take 2 "  ).

17 minutes ago, Astrokev said:

Thanks Olly. I think you've convinced me that V section is the way to go.  Looking at the FHBrundle site (thanks to all who recommended them) it looks like they've got what I need.  They're added to the list.  Just need to complete my design and then start work (all captured in my thread "Astrokev's Observatory Build - Take 2 "  ).

I think it's very, very important to make a roll off 'captive' in the sense that it cannot lift off. This is easy to contrive but don't skimp on it! Here's one way to do it, seen on one of our small robotic sheds.

flap%20half%20open.jpg

Olly

1 hour ago, Astrokev said:

Thanks John.  These sound perfect, and are very reasonably priced!

your welcome.  I got the idea to use them after blatantly plagiarising Gina's, Tinker's, MalcC's and many other obsy build threads on here.

The rubber roofing on my observatory is still in perfect order :)  The rails and wheels are round profile and work exceptionally well - a big improvement on what I had before.  I'm using 4 wheels and can move the roof with my little finger.  If there's much of a westerly or SW wind the roof needs holding as it will blow shut :D  Yes, it rolls that easily! :D

On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 22:03, ollypenrice said:

I think it's very, very important to make a roll off 'captive' in the sense that it cannot lift off. This is easy to contrive but don't skimp on it! Here's one way to do it, seen on one of our small robotic sheds.

Olly

Absolutely. I recall Gina's unfortunate roof "incident". Not sure how best to lock it down as yet (have some ideas) but it won't be going anywhere, unless it takes the rest of the obsy with it !  :wink:

23 hours ago, Gina said:

The rubber roofing on my observatory is still in perfect order :)  The rails and wheels are round profile and work exceptionally well - a big improvement on what I had before.  I'm using 4 wheels and can move the roof with my little finger.  If there's much of a westerly or SW wind the roof needs holding as it will blow shut :D  Yes, it rolls that easily! :D

Thanks Gina. Good to hear your roofing is still working well. Regarding the number of wheels on the ROR, I was thinking of using 6, but 4 would obviously be a saving. I appreciate it depends on the size of the roof (mine will be roughly the same size as yours if not a little smaller) - would you recommend 4 or d'you think 6 may be more beneficial?

kev

I guess it depends on the weight and stiffness of your roof.  Mine is reasonably light though did take three men to replace it after it had been lifted off by a storm.  The construction is quite stiff and 4 wheels were enough.  A heavy roof that may flex a bit might want 6 wheels.

I have to confess to over engineering the roof on my obsy and have 4 on each side!!   The wheels were cheap enough and it was the the most important part of the build to get right.

I could have easily got away with 2 on each side though as each wheel is capable of 250kgs.  Guess it depends on how rigid the roof is going to be.  From looking at your designs in your build thread i would say 4 would be ample but 6 wouldn't hurt.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Not at all noisy. Much quieter than using U track and castors. 

V groove is definitely the way forward as is EPDM roofing; both are easy to install and will out last the timber they're attached to.

Fitting v groove rails and roof the easy way.. Place rails in situ and srew only one end down (pivot point) add roof and rool it to the far end making sure it runs in the direction you want it and without snag, then simply screw other end down... Now add the rest of the fastenings.. easy! :)

EPDM is also just as easy to fit, providing you watch YouTube first :)

Does anyone have any of the galv steel track to measure the width for me?

I've tried several Brundle depots but they are out of stock and don't seem to have the details of their stock!

Archived