NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best DSLR Imaging book?

Adaaam75

Hi guys,

Scoured Amazon and other book shop reviews for the best book on DSLR imaging and am looking for your opinions. I'm not interested in CCD imaging but understand most books will have sections on this but want to hear from people who have actually used them and are not reviewing the delivery times! Any recommendations would be gratefully received.

Clear skies

Hi, I've found, "Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders" by BR Thompson and BF Thompson which is primarily for visual observing a decent book for basing imaging from (maxim=if you can view it you should be able to image it) and details objects by constellation. SJ O'Meara's "Hidden Treasures" is also a good read and guide. I expect you will be imaging with EQ gear but just in case you are starting out and have Alt-Az gear or a light weight EQ mount then Joseph Ashley's, "Astro-photography on the Go Using Short Exposures with Light Mounts" is an absolute treat and you can see if you will like astro-photography in a relatively cheap way. Have a look on the SGL Getting Started with Imaging/No EQ Challenge thread :-)

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Cheers,
Steve

On 09/19/2016 at 06:51, RichLD said:

+1 for Making Every Photon Count by Steve Richards!

Rich, do you actually own the book? If so could you tell me how much is focused on DSLR compared to say other areas I'm not interested about such as CCD'S etc. In fact could you upload on here an image of the list of chapters? That would be extremely helpful.

DSC_0058.PNG

Hi there

Not sure if this will help your choice - this is the contents page from Making Every Photon Count. I'm not sure how far into AP you are but this is considered a bit of a beginner's bible and is an excellent read! Although there are differences in the approach to imaging with CCD and DSLR, the fundamentals are more or less the same. Apologies if I'm preaching to the converted and you already have this covered!:icon_biggrin:

HTH

Rich

1 hour ago, RichLD said:

DSC_0058.PNG

Hi there

Not sure if this will help your choice - this is the contents page from Making Every Photon Count. I'm not sure how far into AP you are but this is considered a bit of a beginner's bible and is an excellent read! Although there are differences in the approach to imaging with CCD and DSLR, the fundamentals are more or less the same. Apologies if I'm preaching to the converted and you already have this covered!:icon_biggrin:

HTH

Rich

Rich that's great thanks. I'm basically using a DSLR on a non goto mount EQ2 at the moment however will also be progressing to a goto mount within the year hopefully but still using my DSLR as the budget for a guided CCD is out of my range for a while! Knowing this if you think Every Photon Counts is still going to be of benefit to me I'll grab a copy along with Ryuno's suggestion too.

5 minutes ago, SkyBound said:

There is a listing on eBay for two DSLR imaging books here, nothing to do with me I might add.... :)

But I do own a copy of the one on the left in the picture, and it is very very  good, and all based on DSLR Astrophotography.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131944511335?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

I've got both of those, well worth having as there's always something to be gleaned from different books on the same subject.

Dave

2 hours ago, Adaaam75 said:

Rich that's great thanks. I'm basically using a DSLR on a non goto mount EQ2 at the moment however will also be progressing to a goto mount within the year hopefully but still using my DSLR as the budget for a guided CCD is out of my range for a while! Knowing this if you think Every Photon Counts is still going to be of benefit to me I'll grab a copy along with Ryuno's suggestion too.

You're more than welcome! I would recommend Steve's excellent book to anyone starting out in AP. One of the most cited benefits is how much money it can save you! Speaking from experience, there are many expensive blind alleys in this game and MEPC provides good buying as well as technical advice. 

HTH

Rich :icon_biggrin:

Archived