Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

nightmare with phd2 again help needed

iwols

hi all 2nd time ive tried phd2 for guiding and again no joy,polar aligned found a star,calibrated then went to guiding,large red and blue lines,then error messages saying your max ra duration setting is preventing phd from making adequate corrections,ive got this set to 2000 tried on 2500,and 3500 but still same,ive set the pixel size ,focal length of guide scope but still having problems uploaded a couple of pics and 3 very short vids of my laptop screen if anyone can throw any light on the problem spent hours on this and got nowhere cheers

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tuqq7xjmkm4vcnq/AAAxw5tJd2N8c6pmmRDC16_ma?dl=0

ed80 on a heq5pro mount qhy5lii mono camera on 10x50 finder scope for guiding cheers

Hi

I'm afraid your calibration is very poor. You can't expect guiding to work until you've sorted out whatever is interfering with calibration. Likely causes are being unbalanced or very poor polar alignment. How does your setup perform unguided? That should give some clues.

Louise

You only have 5° between RA and Dec, unless you were trying to guide near Polaris this is very wrong.

Basically what is happening is that when it makes a Dec or RA correction it throws out the other one by nearly the same amount, this will start a tug of war between the two that cannot be won.

I would check your PA and issue some manual guide commands to make sure the mount is behaving as expected.

6 hours ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi

I'm afraid your calibration is very poor. You can't expect guiding to work until you've sorted out whatever is interfering with calibration. Likely causes are being unbalanced or very poor polar alignment. How does your setup perform unguided? That should give some clues.

Louise

scope was balanced ok and pa was good to be honest i usually work sidereal with stellarium and this usually works pretty good

All the above plus you're only doing 6 steps in both direction, you need to alter the step size, just alter it a lot and see what happens then refine it to get about 12 steps.

The max duration can be set as high as it will go as it will just keep ramping up the time until something happens, it shouldn't max out so something is amiss.

Dave

Hi, I would have said balance but if that, and P.A., is sorted, how about trying the USB 3.00 port on your laptop. It's one of those things that should really make no difference but hey, things that should happen can be completely different to things that do happen.

35 minutes ago, piprees said:

Hi, I would have said balance but if that, and P.A., is sorted, how about trying the USB 3.00 port on your laptop. It's one of those things that should really make no difference but hey, things that should happen can be completely different to things that do happen.

only usb 2

3 hours ago, iwols said:

scope was balanced ok and pa was good to be honest i usually work sidereal with stellarium and this usually works pretty good

With that low an angle of separation, it is highly likely that your polar alignment is not good. Ignore the polar scope and do a drift align. Don't just assume that your polar scope is accurate; a drift align will not only get you bang on but it will also help diagnose the error with hard data. The lines are straight so it's unlikely to be backlash. The reason those lines are so close is because it is moving in DEC at the same time as RA. I would bet you a pound to a pinch of salt that you have a fairly large alignment error.

1 hour ago, MattJenko said:

PHD2 has a guiding assistant which can be surprisingly useful too. As mentioned, there is no point in guiding until the calibration is right. Where in the sky were you pointing when you did the calibration?

due westish

15 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:
10 minutes ago, Astrosurf said:

Try PHD1 if it's compatible, and still available. I've hardly had any problems with it. Want to avoid PHD2 as I've heard a number of people having problems with it.

Alexxx 

Yeh, I had a few problems with PHD2 when I first started guiding so loaded PHD1 and found it was great. Tried PHD2 again about 2 months ago and it loaded and works fine now, very strange indeed.

you might want to try ST4, see if that fixes things.  ST4 wire, which probably came with your QHY, connected between camera and direct to mount - select 'on camera' as your mount in PHD.

I sometimes had similar non-orthogonal headaches with my previous (not very good) mount through USB and a Celestron driver, tried ST4 and everything worked beautifully, I just use it all the time now.

Archived