NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sky at Night

101nut

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With a lump of matter like that traveling at that kind of speed I wonder what kind of crater it would cause on a planet/moon (with and without an atmosphere).

I would imagine most any and most all bodies sort of Mars sized and up would have an atmosphere of some kind ? .. too much gravity not too really I'd have thought.

On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 08:53, DaveS said:

TBH, I think their schedule was scuppered by the wretched Olympics :cussing:. BBC4 was totally saturated, end even BBC2 was infected.

I think to be fair,BBC1 had its fair share of coverage with the Olympics.

What these people achieve with such severe disabilities amazes me,and I for one support and watch them wholeheatedly.

I can catch up on a programme later.

Mick.

Mick, it was the Olympics I was talking about, saturation coverage on BBC1, (Apart from Eastenders of course :angryfire:, can't have that interrupted, can we :angryfire:?), BBC4 (Where S @ N airs first) and even infecting BBC2. The Paralympics are on Ch.4.

1 hour ago, Pippy said:

How do we go from the sky at night to the olympics in so few postings ?

I believe it was you who mentioned it has been a while since you saw s&n and other members obliged by explaining why

46 minutes ago, Scott said:

I believe it was you who mentioned it has been a while since you saw s&n and other members obliged by explaining why

You might be right !    but then, I myself don't believe the two are connected in any way shape or form.

I believe the olympics may be an excuse, but not the reason.

5 hours ago, DaveS said:

Mick, it was the Olympics I was talking about, saturation coverage on BBC1, (Apart from Eastenders of course :angryfire:, can't have that interrupted, can we :angryfire:?), BBC4 (Where S @ N airs first) and even infecting BBC2. The Paralympics are on Ch.4.

Sorry Dave,my humble apologies,you were quite right.

Note to self(Read thread more carefully).

Mick.

It would be a well made structure to cope with that acceleration. Approx 10g for 10 ten minutes (if my maths are right - doubtful), and as said above, how do you slow down enough to do anything useful when you get there.

8 minutes ago, MarkMayf said:

It would be a well made structure to cope with that acceleration. Approx 10g for 10 ten minutes (if my maths are right - doubtful), and as said above, how do you slow down enough to do anything useful when you get there.

10 g would be fine for electronics you can fit them inside a shell fired from a canon, 20000 g is probably survivable.

Alan 

I don't think they would need to nor intend to slow down - they would use on board cameras and other em senors to sense and report back local conditions (much in the way Voyager is presently doing).  I really don't think that there can be any serious attempt to "steer" the craft especially into any orbit.  Of course the thing is so far fetched that I may well be completely wrong - won't be the first time :icon_biggrin:

Jim

Archived