Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Western Veil Nebula - LRGB

Droogie 2001

My first real attempt at capturing a DSO target over multiple nights and putting it all together afterwards.

I am fairly happy with the result though my stars are too bright despite trying to actively control them throughout the post processing. I see from another post / thread that Narrowband can help control the brightness of stars. As I do not currently own any of these filters yet I have to stick to LRGB instead. Still to get all of the elements from capturing over multiple nights and post processing them all was my main achievement from this.

What also struck me is how much post processing techniques have a major effect on the end result.
After several false starts I followed some tips from a resource and the improvement was dramatic. I am sure more capable imagers would be able to extract far more detail.

Not sure if I want / need to collect more RGB data as there is a greater amount of luminance data.

The image details are:

Light Frames, 1x1 Binning, Cooled -20c 

Luminance: 47 x 300 Secs (4 Hours)
Red: 12 x 300 Secs (60mins)
Green 12 x 300 Secs (60Mins)
Blue 12 x 300 Secs (60mins)

Total: 7 Hours

Flats, Darks, Dark Flats and BIAS frames taken.

Thanks

Western Veil_LRGB.jpg

5 minutes ago, cardconvict said:

Great job there I'm also imaging the broom from last night and I'm wondering could you link your resources please as I'm a beginner to CCD imaging

Thanks.

Sure it was actually a magazine called 'Shooting Stars' by Nik Szymanek (Just to add I am not affiliated with the author or Astronomy Now in any way). There are chapters on HDR and Curved masks. Some of the techniques are quite simple but very effective, in fact I have gone through some old images and brushed them up a bit with the same techniques.

http://www.astronomynow-store.com/special-editions/shooting-stars-the-ultimate-guide-to-photographing-the-universe

Archived