Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'nikon d5300'.
Found 3 results
Xiga posted a topic in Imaging - Deep SkyHi guys We had a few hours of clear skies here on Saturday night, so I set about getting some O-III for the Western Veil, after I had collected the Ha last month. Thankfully, the moon wasn't around, so even though I didn't get that many subs (only 10) at least they were of good quality. I actually fell asleep during the capture, and woke up to a 'Sequence Aborted' message in SGP and the sight of PHD2 going mad due to thick clouds. Quickly ran outside and thankfully there was no rain about (phew!). I got 11 subs in total, but the last one was totally unusable due to the clouds. The 10th one was affected too, but still looked useable to me, given that I know from experience that APP's 'Quality' stacking mode would know to give it less of a weighting, so I kept it. So this is 15 * 1200s of Ha and 10 * 1200s of OIII (8 Hrs 20 mins in total). Taken with the usual gear: Nikon D5300 (modded); HEQ5-Pro and a SW 80ED. Calibrated with Flats, Bias, and a Bad Pixel Map. APP used for stacking and gradient reduction. Everything else done in PS (including running Carboni's 'Synthesize Green Channel' action). After now having processed both the Eastern & Western Veils, I have to say I have found them to be among the hardest targets to process that I've done so far (although it's still early days for me yet, think I'm still under 15 DSO's and counting). I'm not sure if it's down to the sheer number of stars, or the very faint nebulosity that seems to be everywhere, but I've found the background to be especially difficult on these ones. Getting the Ha and OIII nicely balanced before combining probably has something to do with it. I also tend to do gradient reduction (which seems to affect the OIII a lot more than Ha) on the individual stacks before I combine them, so I wonder if I'd be better just leaving it to later in the process? (which I had to do again anyway, as there was still a noticeable red gradient visible later in the workflow). Something to note, I did go quite heavy on the star reduction. More so than I normally would. I found it wasn't until I upped it significantly, that the nebulosity really started to take centre stage. I like the impact it has made to the image overall, but it made me feel a little dirty at the same time, lol (if that makes any sense). Also, this isn't actually the finished version just yet. I have a bit more work to do on the background and stars (which need their colour toned down in places - probably shouldn't have ran Carboni's 'Increase Star Colour', in hindsight I don't think it needed it). I was literally falling asleep at the monitor last night while attempting to finish it off, and in the end had to admit defeat. So hopefully I can get around to it later tonight. Then the next thing will be the big mosaic of both Eastern & Western Veils. I'm both looking forward to, and dreading it, in equal measures As always C&C warmly welcomed!
Set up Star adventurer mini for a few 60 second runs with a rough polar align in a very dark area a way from our hotel, only had 12 minutes astro darkness so had to work quickly . It was spookily dark ... Could see the milky way faintly reflected on the ocean. As the moon started to clear the mountains a Polish chap appeared with his camera but no tripod so we managed to communicate and I let him put his camera on my Sam. Then again as packing up a German chap arrived so we did the same again for him. It was quite interesting trying to explain the Sam and how it worked. Here is the one decent image I managed, as you can see when zooming in, focus is off Still a nice memory of a holiday booked by the wife as it's a beautiful dark island ( coinsided with full moon though) Thanks for looking. Single Raw file converted with Nikon NX2 and contrast tweaked in CS2. 60 seconds @ F4 and ISO 3200
Hi guys I've been staring at these for long enough now that i'm effectively going blind to them, so i think it's time to post them and see what you guys think as well. It's late, so i'll keep this brief! 10 x 1200s Ha (2" Baader) 9 x 1200s OIII (2" Baader) So not much exposure at all really, but it's all i'm going to get for a while. The Ha was shot low on the horizon, and with a big bright moon up, but at least i managed to get the OIII the following night (mostly) before the moon made it's re-appearance. The usual Bias, Flats, and aggressive dithering. Stacked in APP, and processed in PS. For the Bi-Colour version i used one of Carboni's actions to synthesize the green channel (with Ha in Red and OIII in Blue). For the SHO version, i used 80% of Ha and 20% of OIII to synthesize an SII, then used tonemapping to bring out the colours. Normally i prefer the hubble palette, but i'm not sure about this one. I think i prefer the Bi-Colour one. Dunno. Let's see what i think in the morning! C&C welcome, and thanks for looking :-)