Signing in

D4zza

First off hello to all, hope alls well.

My names Darren and from a small area know as "Essex" near London in the UK. Im a real beginner to astronomy but have always loved reading the latest on space exploration, looking up all sorts to do with space even looking and reading about Planet X etc lol. I'm 36years old and have now settled down a bit lol and decided some weeks ago to start a life long awaited hobby in teaching myself the night sky's...so far knowing and even naming stars and consolations knowing there exact location. iv been reading a lot of starter guides Inc getting a book named turn left at Orion which is very interesting. Iv been learning everything my brain will soak in and haven't even got any equipment yet. I'll be getting myself just to start whilst saving for a good 150-200mm scope some 15 x 70 bins which to start while I learn more I think maybe the better route and learning more about equipment. Anyway just thought ild say hello. 

Thanks all 

Darren 

Welcome to the SGL.

Take your time and study, then when you think your on the right track as to where you would like to reach, in regards to visual manual, remote,  GoTo tracking,  astrophotography, give out a shout and folk will be more than willing to help.

Are you aware of  Stellarium? If not get it here, http://www.stellarium.org/en_GB/  totally free,  amazing detail and very informative, an initial setup is required for your location, but once setup,  a fantastic and often updated planetarium  guide.

Early days yet, but have a good read and study  8" 200mm Newtonian reflector telescopes, mounted to a Dobsonian base,  a brilliant starter and possibly a lifetime scope! I have the Skywatcher, Skyliner version, and as for binoculars, low powered with a wide view will generally offer more fun, as they in my mind, and my eyes, take in more of the night sky, rather than a 15x70 with its very tight field of view, and little planetary detail, due to the low power of 15x, wait till you start looking at 200x ?

Like I say, early days, lots to mull over, just take your time.

Thank you very much charic for the info. I'll be bookmarking that site as looks great! You are right there is so much to look into when buying a setup. Not as easy as I thought originally but that's all part of the fantastic hobby. I'm sure I'll be asking all sorts of questions soon enough lol.

Welcome to the SGL and welcome to astronomy!

I certainly agree with Charic that less powerful binoculars are the way to go, to start with at least. Perhaps 7x50, 8x40 or 10x50. More magnification will be difficult to hold steady and you may find you need a tripod.

A cheap compass can be quite helpful too, nothing fancy or especially accurate, just to roughly orientate you to the sky and any maps or software, like Stellarium, that you may be using.

Clear Skies!

Just get a set of nature/birding binoculars, if you do not already have some. Something like the almost standard 8x42's.

The bigger ones may appeal but to hand hold they are heavy (after a short while) and the image will bounce all over the place unless on a tripod, and a tripod adds to the cost. The 8x42's are popular as they fit a lot of requirements.

Before getting a scope make sure you know what you want - you will get told every option several times over. Often better to get something relatively small that is easy to use. Search out a few clubs and visit them to look at and hopefully through a few of the assorted options: http://www.astronomyclubs.co.uk/

Hi Darren,

I'm in the same situation as you!  Finally got the time and money to indulge in a life-long interest.

I joined here a few days ago and the welcome and help from this community has been awesome!  :icon_biggrin:

So welcome!  Ask away, and the wonderful peeps here will answer with the compounded knowledge of experience :-)

Bob

Thanks very much for the warm welcome ladies and gents, yeah it's been a lifetime hobby iv always wanted to get into but never really had the time as when I put my focus into something I'm all or nothing. So now I have the time to learn and achieve what iv always wanted to do, so so far iv been learning the night sky with phone apps and maps for this time of year, and spending a couple of hours each night teaching myself "my god so so much" lol with just my naked eyes. 

Reguarding equipment iv been doing a lot of searching, reading, looking at reviews etc and have 100% decided on a set of 15x70 bins just to start me of I'll be getting a tripod as well to make the most of them whilst learning then iv been looking at once I save a couple more £££ "a few months" iv been looking at the Orion xt10 and the revelation 10" f/5 by dobsonian around that price range. 

Many thanks 

Darren 

Archived