NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New old Takumar Toy!

Took delivery of a vintage f5.6 400mm super multi-coated Takumar today! :) Complete with original case and metal lens cap. Stinks of tobacco though :mad:

It looks a nice piece of kit and seems to be in very good condition. It has a tripod mount which is good, and a retractable, metal lens hood which is also good. The balance point as is, is well in front of the tripod mount but I'm sure it can be counterbalanced. I've not been able to quite reach infinity focus straight out of the case using a low-profile t-ring on a Canon 550. I'm hopeful that the helical focusser can be tweaked to reach infinity focus in a similar manner that I did with the f4 200mm Takumar. Like the 200mm, there are some small screws on the focussing section so I'll have to have a fiddle:). Camera + lens weighs just under 1.8kg so not too heavy. Was quite cheap off ebay (just over £100 + postage) so not much to lose. The proof of the lens will be in the imaging! It's supposed to be a 'triplet apo' (Cooke Triplet) but I'm not expecting apo telescope quality, certainly not at f5.6. But, of course, individual lenses vary so maybe I'll be lucky! Anyway, if I can fit a filter by some means, there's always narrowband :)

Louise

40 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Hope you can get it fixed.

Thanks - I've put it to one side for now. Will have another look tomorrow. I can't find any disassembly guides on the net. I did find something that warned against undoing helical focusers though... Tut!

I have a couple of lenses that ended up this way, the most difficult thing was aligning everything so that the iris worked but sadly I failed however if this is to be an astro only lens then it might not matter.

Best of luck though.

Alan

1 hour ago, Alien 13 said:

I have a couple of lenses that ended up this way, the most difficult thing was aligning everything so that the iris worked but sadly I failed however if this is to be an astro only lens then it might not matter.

Best of luck though.

Alan

Hi Alan

I've not disassembled it to that extent. I removed a screw which was the stop for the helical focuser in the hope that I'd be able to adjust focus past that point. But I somehow managed to undo the whole front section which promptly came away! :embarrassed: Now that wouldn't be a problem if I could just screw the front section back on the rear section thread. But I couldn't seem to. Surely, if it came off, it must go back on?? There are two flat lugs on the front section that look like they need to line up with the recesses in the rear section:

Front:

Front_small.jpg

Rear:

• rear_small.jpg 

One of the lugs is split (top right). This might be a clue. Maybe it needs some pressure to push back in? I'll look at it again tomorrow! Louise

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •