What would you use if you couldn't have Ethos?

iPeace

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course, there's the 12.5mm and 17mm Nikon HW eyepieces which are at least as good as the Ethos.  Add their EiC's and you get 10mm and 14mm.  Add a TV 2X 2" Powermate and you've got 5mm, 6.25mm, 7mm, and 8.5mm covered as well.  That's at least a good start replacing the Ethos line, leaving just the 21mm and the 110 degree ones to cover.

On 8/7/2016 at 23:54, ollypenrice said:

I'd use a milk bottle bottom while saving up for an Ethos!

I'm not a visual buff in the style of Acey or Michael WIlkinson who go for the most difficult observations. I'm a bit of a tourist and revel in the big picture, which is why I'm in love with my one Ethos - a 13mm.

Olly

I thought your good old 26T5 Nagler was very good indeed, also for tourism. I compared the Ethos 13mm to my own 12T4 Nagler, and under the conditiosn we had at the time there wasn't much in it except FOV and eye relief. The Ethos won on FOV, but the Nagler 12T4 won on eye relief. I am still very happy with the mix of Nagler, XW, Delos, and the odd Vixen LVW and SLV EPs I have. I wouldn't mind having a long eye relief 100deg EP when I get that big, fast Dob in the future, but for now my EP box suits me fine.

On 8/15/2016 at 21:45, Louis D said:

Of course, there's the 12.5mm and 17mm Nikon HW eyepieces which are at least as good as the Ethos.  Add their EiC's and you get 10mm and 14mm.  Add a TV 2X 2" Powermate and you've got 5mm, 6.25mm, 7mm, and 8.5mm covered as well.  That's at least a good start replacing the Ethos line, leaving just the 21mm and the 110 degree ones to cover.

I would like to test those one day. I gather their eye relief is 16mm, just a shade longer than the 15mm of the Ethos (which is just to short for me). The Nikon might just have enough ER, but I want to test that before forking out that kind of money

Nobody needs more than 40-50 degrees really. But looking at what is in folks eyepiece cases, the wider fields are very popular so either folks are all barmy or they enjoy using them. Quite possibly both ! :icon_biggrin:

Actually an ES 82 is around the same price as a TV plossl here in the UK.

3 minutes ago, John said:

My comment was made tongue-in-cheek of course :icon_biggrin:

I probably should have used the :wink: or :p emoticon when I posted it !

Likewise ?????

I'd never be able to find anything if all that I had were 50° eyepieces!

Paul

32 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

Likewise ?????

I'd never be able to find anything if all that I had were 50° eyepieces!

Paul

Hello. I agree. When you have a manual mount then the wide field eyepieces come into there own. You are star hoping a lot of the time and location of the faint fuzzy DSO really does need a quality wide field IMO. I purchased a nagler 20mm a while back 82 d fov and this eyepiece has become my bread and butter when it comes to DSO. I reach for it all the time for locating. The nagler 20mm was not cheap even though I brought it used. But well worth the money for the amount I use it for locating targets. The views through it are not bad also, actually they are cracking, so a great eyepiece IMO ☺ 

Of course my Telrad has a larger FOV than 50°, and I do have an 8x50 finder. But for eyepieces, my biggest is a 32mm Plössl (50°). I only star hop (no GoTo here!) and I've always managed to find my target. I have used wide angle eyepieces, but I prefer the narrower view of a Plössl or an Ortho.

Perhaps I'm whatever the opposite of claustrophobic is? :)

5 hours ago, Rick Towns said:

....Perhaps I'm whatever the opposite of claustrophobic is? :)

Whatever the term is, you will have more $'s in left your bank account than those who love ultra-wide field eyepieces !

I loved the T5 20mm that I used to have. I had to think very long and hard before parting with it when I got my 21 Ethos. I still miss it's compactness and lovely "volcano top" shape.

17 hours ago, iPeace said:

Agoraphobia.

(Don't ask.)

:happy11:

LOL! No - I didn't mean literally (I have no fear of big spaces). I mean that I do not have claustraphobia - I prefer to be in tight spaces like peering down a Plössl or an Ortho. Sorry for not being clearer. :)

1 hour ago, Rick Towns said:

LOL! No - I didn't mean literally (I have no fear of big spaces). I mean that I do not have claustraphobia - I prefer to be in tight spaces like peering down a Plössl or an Ortho. Sorry for not being clearer. :)

Understood - just couldn't resist throwing the opposite term out there; forgive me my Stephen Fry moment...

:happy9:

Archived