NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tal 100RS incoming!

I'm very happy to have just bought a nice Tal 100RS on ABS and just wanted to share my joy :). I've been without a refractor for some time now so I took no time in deciding to hit the button when a nice example came up. Looking forward to getting my hands on this well regarded achromats...now I just need to pick up a diagonal so I'm ready for the clear skies!

Back to frac :)

Chris

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you snagged it Chris!:-)

Looks like a bargain, glad you are back iin the "fracfold"!

Just bought a nice 1.25" dielectric Altair diagonal myself for my grab n go 90mm F5.5..I put an ad in wanted on UKABS and found one quickly, so worth a try (and on here of course!:-).

Pics and full review asap please!

Dave

45 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

So you snagged it Chris!:-)

Looks like a bargain, glad you are back iin the "fracfold"!

Just bought a nice 1.25" dielectric Altair diagonal myself for my grab n go 90mm F5.5..I put an ad in wanted on UKABS and found one quickly, so worth a try (and on here of course!:-).

Pics and full review asap please!

Dave

Cheers Dave, I spotted your wanted ad had done the job in a short space of time,  I'll be placing an ad :) 

I'll report back with pics with bells on, got a nice CG5 to mount it on. I'm looking forward to reading your Phenix 90 f5.5 review when I get a chance as well. 

20 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Congrats on picking up one of the best 4" achros, looks like i will be putting mine up for sale soon

Cheers Jules :) Are you selling because of your new arrival (6" f/6)??

2 hours ago, Chris Lock said:

Cheers Jules :) Are you selling because of your new arrival (6" f/6)??

Thats part of the reason the other is having 2 100rs fracs, one has to go at some stage, the new to me one is getting a custom sliding dewshield and a few other mods

4 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Thats part of the reason the other is having 2 100rs fracs, one has to go at some stage, the new to me one is getting a custom sliding dewshield and a few other mods

I didn't realise you had 2! It would be nice to see how you get on with modding one of them :)

10 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

That sounds interesting Jules... 

I would say the one thing i never liked about the 100rs is the black flower pot dew shield, so when this one came up with no shield and a faulty focuser i took a chance, i have replaced focuser bearings and its super smooth now and dew shield is nearly done

Congrats on the new Tal. I'm gutted I missed out on one earlier today http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262535456456?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT may not need another scope but at that price with a mount it was a give away. It would have certainly helped put my curiosity of the 100RS to bed. Dam you keep fit classes :angry5:

Saying that I can't help but feel sorry for the seller.

5 minutes ago, spaceboy said:

Congrats on the new Tal. I'm gutted I missed out on one earlier today http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262535456456?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT may not need another scope but at that price with a mount it was a give away. It would have certainly helped put my curiosity of the 100RS to bed. Dam you keep fit classes :angry5:

Saying that I can't help but feel sorry for the seller.

Wow that is an utter bargain! Poor seller indeed, I bet they'll set a reserve price next time!

12 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

Wow that is an utter bargain! Poor seller indeed, I bet they'll set a reserve price next time!

The same seller sold a Sky watcher 6" dob for £52! Collection from about 1 mile from my house! Why oh why didn't I bid?:hmh:

Just now, Roy Challen said:

The same seller sold a Sky watcher 6" dob for £52! Collection from about 1 mile from my house! Why oh why didn't I bid?:hmh:

Ok, if they didn't learn from that I'm guessing they don't actually mind their kit selling so cheap....jeez 52 quid!

1 minute ago, Chris Lock said:

Ok, if they didn't learn from that I'm guessing they don't actually mind their kit selling so cheap....jeez 52 quid!

Yeah, I don't pity them at all, I feel sorry for me for missing out on a super bargain!:icon_biggrin:.

I think it was the wrong time of the day for the auction to end TBH. Everyone would be going back in to work after lunch or just leaving for lunch. I looked at it before I had to go out but felt it was pointless bidding as 8/10 times when you do some other last minute bidder dupes you. If I can't be the one doing the duping I'm not interested :evil4:

34 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

I would say the one thing i never liked about the 100rs is the black flower pot dew shield, so when this one came up with no shield and a faulty focuser i took a chance, i have replaced focuser bearings and its super smooth now and dew shield is nearly done

A sliding dew shield sounds good, I'll be doing that too. Currently, my Tal is getting a new paint job, I repaired the dent in the tube (looks pretty good if I say so myself), blackboard paint inside, I've already done the bearings (got a spare set- if anyone wants them just pm me).

Gotta have something to do while waiting for darker skies!:icon_biggrin:

9 hours ago, Roy Challen said:

A sliding dew shield sounds good, I'll be doing that too. Currently, my Tal is getting a new paint job, I repaired the dent in the tube (looks pretty good if I say so myself), blackboard paint inside, I've already done the bearings (got a spare set- if anyone wants them just pm me).

Gotta have something to do while waiting for darker skies!:icon_biggrin:

My dew shield is not going to win any awards, its made from 0.75mm plastic sheet x2 pieces laminated together then wrapped in carbon vinyl

16 hours ago, Chris Lock said:

I'm very happy to have just bought a nice Tal 100RS on ABS and just wanted to share my joy :). I've been without a refractor for some time now so I took no time in deciding to hit the button when a nice example came up. Looking forward to getting my hands on this well regarded achromats...now I just need to pick up a diagonal so I'm ready for the clear skies!

Back to frac :)

Chris

Well done Chris. If you still have it in a few months, when it is getting dark early evening, I wouldn't mind quick peek through it after work.....if you still have it! :) 

5 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Well done Chris. If you still have it in a few months, when it is getting dark early evening, I wouldn't mind quick peek through it after work.....if you still have it! :) 

your always welcome Rob, you can even have a long peak through it if you like ;) I have a feeling that I'll be keeping this one for at least a while if the reviews are anything to go by. We're looking at 1/6 wave optics at least, good control over both SA and CA plus a nice focuser on the RS model. Neil English's review said that the 100R model he had even had 1/8 wave optics but the RS has a better focuser. 

I've read fabled camp fire stories of a Tal R, with the purple lense, being retro fitted with the new RS focuser and let loose in the wilds... I think a few on here have seen it, or even touched it!  By all accounts it's a beaut!

Archived