Show us your set up in action at night.

Peco4321

Can't show you the kit itself because it is busy but here is what it is looking at right now

patroclus.jpg.632766544be9d83d5ce0632b83aba75c.jpg:

I painted in yellow lines to indicate the position of (617) Patroclus, a Jovian Trojan asteroid which is the target of the LUCY mission.

More information on why I'm doing this and the results obtained will be posted in an appropriate sub-forum when I have had time to analyze the results.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Xilman said:

Can't show you the kit itself because it is busy but here is what it is looking at right now

patroclus.jpg.632766544be9d83d5ce0632b83aba75c.jpg:

I painted in yellow lines to indicate the position of (617) Patroclus, a Jovian Trojan asteroid which is the target of the LUCY mission.

More information on why I'm doing this and the results obtained will be posted in an appropriate sub-forum when I have had time to analyze the results.

That’s cool do you know the magnitude of that?

9 minutes ago, Simon Pepper said:

That’s cool do you know the magnitude of that?

It varies, which is why I was observing it. Right now it is around mag 16.0 but at the start of the session around 15.2.

7am here and the sky is starting to get too bright (and the asteroid is now at an altitude of 27 degrees, so down in the murk) so this session is now officially over.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Simon Pepper said:

Glad to see people getting some clear skies last night 👏

Cloudless but rather dusty sky, so contrast and limiting magnitude not all that good.

11 hours ago, Simon Pepper said:

Glad to see people getting some clear skies last night 👏

Wayne Hawley was also observing this asteroid at the same time as I, though he had to finish earlier because he is so much further north than me.  He is in the UK.

• Like 1

Set up and waiting for Saturn to appear behind a tree. 

Had a very unfortunate accident earlier today resulting from my own stupidity whilst adjusting the position of the secondary. I managed to send the secondary and its boss sliding down the tube and striking the primary quite hard. Nice little graze on the less than 1 year old John Nichol primary and a big chip out of the edge of the secondary. Can not believe my own carelessness as it was a totally avoidable incident, If only I’d kept the tube level and not tilted it up to catch more light. 

Put a little bit of black electrical tape over the graze on the primary and did some video captures on a star and running through the focus point I can definitely see some astigmatism…. Really hope it’s in the secondary which will be a relatively cheap fix. 

Decided to set up anyway and see how it goes, will try and rattle off some captures of Saturn. The good news is the gremlins I had last time are all sorted: alignment and tracking is excellent and ADC is properly adjusted - small win! 

IMG_3808.jpeg

Edited by CraigT82
  • Like 6
  • Sad 8

2 hours ago, JeremyS said:

First use of Tak FC 76DCU newly installed on top of the C11. OTA is held with Losmandy rings and dovetails allowing it to be aligned with the C11.

IMG_0017.thumb.jpeg.b62fc628e87c10b1f1557f63b227be57.jpeg

Jeremy, I knew Takahashi offer Epsilon scopes with a Tak finder that acts as a carry handle..

But using an FC76 as a carry handle for a C11 is a new one to me..very Creative!!👍👏👏👏🤪😋🤣

Dave

• Haha 3

I have been testing one of my rigs before I go to the Okie-Tex Star Party.  I got an ASIair months ago and I am finally getting to try it out.

AT60ED / ASI533MC on a GEM45 on an old CI-700 tripod. 

IMG_0157-med.JPG

• Like 13

5 hours ago, JeremyS said:

First use of Tak FC 76DCU newly installed on top of the C11. OTA is held with Losmandy rings and dovetails allowing it to be aligned with the C11.

A very nice looking finder indeed.

• Like 3

Moon is brighter than the sun

Best focus ever getting hfr around 2.11 previous best maybe 2.18

Guiding around 0.9 as good as I've had

One 120sec sub looks almost as good as my badly processed ic 1394 1.5 hours with my dslr.

Lots of dew :(

IMG_20240915_211652.thumb.jpg.b1c9a83c44328cd9086c369d502f5fa1.jpg

• Like 14

Just a quick session for me tonight due to the clouds taking over the sky as they were forecast to after a few hours. Mostly just lunar with a few OC thrown in around Cassiopeia. I get badly affected by floaters when I use higher magnification with my ED80 on a full moon. Set up on a Porta II mount.

IMG_20240917_202748_452.thumb.jpg.8d32a340c394aedcd1d376c831636479.jpg

Edited by bosun21
Add photo.
  • Like 10