Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New scope

Hey guys, I'm here adding another 'what beginners scope' thread on top of the enormous pile in this sub forum.

I not long ago purchased the skywatcher 130eq (non-parabolic, non-motor) from a well known camera retailer in the Manc area, and I've been hooked to the skies since. I'm pleased with what I've seen for the money I've spent, but i feel i need a step up already. The controls on the one I've got feels as though its limiting me and i would love to see deeper objects and a bit more detail on the planets.

I had my sights set on the 6se for a while, mainly because of the portability and built in computer. All this is good but the price seems way too high in the UK when you put it up against some of the dobsonians, i could double the diameter and it would still be cheaper for me. So considering this, I've now got a 10" dob in mind. The length of the tube would just fit in the back seat of the car and I'm fairly young and mobile so it shouldn't be too much of a problem for camping trips toward a less light polluted area.

So that's where I'm at and before i splash £450ish, I was just wondering if anyone in the same situation made any errors going with certain brands or maybe even regretting getting a 10" dob?

Few more questions too :

Is the focal length (1200mm) the exact length of the tube?

Would it be worth an extra 200 on say the xt10i in a mediumish light polluted area?

With my 130, i could just about make out m81 + m82 from my backyard, JUST ABOUT. My eyes had to adjust for a long while, but they were there as a mild smudge. If I upped from 130 to 250, how would the same thing appear to me?

I don't know if retailers are allowed to be posted on here. If they are, where should i look?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello and welcome to SGL. 

You are not going to go far wrong with a 10 inch DOB IMO, so I think this is a good choice of scope and still moveable if you need to travel. This type of scope reflector is going to be of a good aperture for planets as well as DSO. Bang for buck a great scope. The skywatcher 250p have a good reputation and a well respected performer, so this may be worth a look also.  Even with mild light pollution you can see s lot with a scope(,even though a dark site will shows you a lot more) sometimes observing late at night or early in the morning when towns shut down more helps, houses and business lights go off more.        

Hope this helps

10" dob is a good choice.

FLO sponsor this site, they are a very well respected supplier.

I have the 8" at 1200, not sure if it is exactly 1200mm tube length, but I don't have any issues fitting it across the back seat of my little hatchback.

As for M81/82, you should get a better view with the 10", but no size will show them as much more that faint fuzzies (they get called that for a reason), and nothing beats a dark sky - I've heard it said that a 6" at a dark site will beat a 10" in LP.

As rockystar said, what matters most is the skies which the scope is under. If you have the chance to go to dark skies you will be rewarded with the scope you already have. So I would go for the dob. It fits in the car, you are young and you can travel with your car so what is to think (lol). Seriously though it's a great scope and you will have it for life. I mean it has a capable apperture, it's moveable and will suit you well under your skies too. You will sure get better views than with the scope you currently have, even in your backyard but as I said before, skies are the first thing to consider when talking abou DSO's and faint stuff.

The scope won't be exactly 1200mm but should be close but perhaps worth double checking.

I agree it seems like a very good choice in your circumstances, and will give significantly better views from both home and at a dark site. It will have better resolution for planetary and lunar work, plus will be great on globular clusters. At a dark site the extra aperture will make itself felt on fainter galaxies etc.

Retailers (other than FLO our sponsor)  aren't allowed to promote themselves in the forum so you won't get answers directly from them.

The 10'' dob gets great reviews. I had a 12'' flextube and it was on the limit for putting in and out of my car. The actual tube length will be around 1.2-1.3m. The FL of 1200mm would take into account the light path to the ep via the secondary mirror.

That said the 6SE is an excellent scope but it does have a longer FL and less light gathering power, but it can track an object well enough for visual use.

For a Dob you can also buy/make a tracking platform, if that is what you want. You save a lot of money buying a Dob, because of the cheap mount it has. I you don't mind the bulkiness of it, then go for it. If you plan to have a family soon with kids that need to fill the backseat of the car, then buy a smaller scope.

Glad to see people backing getting a dob anyway, i felt as though i rushed into my first scope and want to make sure i don't make any mistakes with my second. I'll have plenty of chances to take it out during the summer months so it would probably be worth it.

How sensitive is the pushing on dobs? is it common to accidentally nudge it too much and lose your star hopping progress?

2 minutes ago, Linda said:

For a Dob you can also buy/make a tracking platform, if that is what you want. You save a lot of money buying a Dob, because of the cheap mount it has. I you don't mind the bulkiness of it, then go for it. If you plan to have a family soon with kids that need to fill the backseat of the car, then buy a smaller scope.

Its not a problem at the moment but probably something i'd face soon down the line. If it comes to that i could always sell, or buy a bigger car :D

i had a 12" dob...fantastic bit of kit,you wont regret getting the10" dob, then you'll be off to darker skies and there your jaw will hit the floor!...a bigger car isnt what you need...its a van so you can sleep in it!

32 minutes ago, Dayleh said:

Glad to see people backing getting a dob anyway, i felt as though i rushed into my first scope and want to make sure i don't make any mistakes with my second. I'll have plenty of chances to take it out during the summer months so it would probably be worth it.

How sensitive is the pushing on dobs? is it common to accidentally nudge it too much and lose your star hopping progress?

No they are not that sensitive that you would lose where you are. If anything I find mine a tad stiff, despite fiddling a lot with the various tensions (I find sometimes you can give it a small nudge and it want to return to where it was. I can wholeheartedly recommend the SW 10" dob. It's available from retailers at £409. I got mine from Rother Valley Optics. The only issue is that they use Fedex, who were useless at delivering my telescope. I think it is available at that price from Harrison Telescopes. I upgraded the 10mm eyepiece with a 10mm BCO and the planetary views with this combination are incredible. I haven't had dark enough skies to go DSO hunting yet, but cannot wait. No buyers remorse here

21 minutes ago, estwing said:

i had a 12" dob...fantastic bit of kit,you wont regret getting the10" dob, then you'll be off to darker skies and there your jaw will hit the floor!...a bigger car isnt what you need...its a van so you can sleep in it!

A VW Touran fulfils this brief quite nicely. 

10606502_10152709994449750_3303998798812802084_n.jpg

2 minutes ago, Jimtheslim said:

A VW Touran fulfils this brief quite nicely. 

10606502_10152709994449750_3303998798812802084_n.jpg

The van i use for work is a VW caddy so i might have to give it a brush out at weekends when i get my scope :)

16 minutes ago, estwing said:

if you're on fb there's CLAS central. lancs. astro. society ...maybe hook up with a few locals?..its great observing with buddies and advice and tips can be given first hand

I know there's a club in Bolton, im at Wigan so its just around the corner. Ive not looked into it much though might be worth it. 

Off topic, but I had to look up VW Caddy, which makes no sense in America because Caddy is short for Cadillac, the GM luxury brand here.  It turns out that VW doesn't import any of their commercial vehicles to North America, including the Caddy.  I feel better now having resolved that conundrum for myself. :icon_biggrin:

On topic, you can always go for larger dobs with truss tubes that collapse into a smaller volume for transport such as the Skywatcher Skyliner 250px FlexTube Dobsonian.  For £400 more, you can get the goto version if you want tracking and help finding objects in light polluted skies.  The latter are super popular in the local club here.  I saw at least half a dozen on the field at the last club public outreach star party.  The views looked excellent through them.  I was impressed with their quiet, smooth tracking as well.  I wish they were available 20 years ago when I started out.

Archived