The Ethos Has Landed

Pig

The Ethos landed on time just as communicated by the supplier :happy11: Here are a few images to start with. I will write a review as soon as I have a chance to experiment.... Build quality and packaging are first rate as expected.

Ethos 17mm A.JPG

Ethos 17mm B.JPG

Ethos 17mm C.JPG

Ethos 17mm.JPG

5 minutes ago, Pig said:

Thank you Paul :-) I cant believe my luck in that it is clear outside so I may even get the chance tonight :-)

Congrats on the new eyepiece along with the weather, bought my new 8mm Ethos over a week ago and have not seen a clear sky ever since :hmh:

8 minutes ago, estwing said:

Clear skies my friend.....

Thank you Calvin  :happy7:

6 minutes ago, Obsession 30 said:

Congrats on the new eyepiece along with the weather, bought my new 8mm Ethos over a week ago and have not seen a clear sky ever since :hmh:

I don't want to rub it in Paul but I cant even see a single cloud :dontknow:

Very nice Shaun :icon_biggrin:

I had the 17mm Ethos for a short while and it was just as good as the rest. Between the 21 and the 13 in my scopes I realised that it was not going to get a lot of use so I parted with it to fund another project but it's a great eyepiece, no doubt.

Just now, John said:

Very nice Shaun :icon_biggrin:

I had the 17mm Ethos for a short while and it was just as good as the rest. Between the 21 and the 13 in my scopes I realised that it was not going to get a lot of use so I parted with it to fund another project but it's a great eyepiece, no doubt.

I had similar thoughts myself John, but I figured the FOV was pretty generous at 2.2 & 4.2 deg, when the focal lengths of both of my scopes are considered :happy7:

Just now, Pig said:

Thank you.... Just a case of waiting now :hello:

I envy you; you're in for such a treat! My 17mm came with my scope and I was blown away (had bought it with the scope without consulting anyone, so I wasn't ready for what it could do).

7 hours ago, YKSE said:

Very nice Shaun:happy7: Looks like the big boy sits comfortably in that familiar diagonal.

Thank you Yong, yes all is aligned and securely fastened.... The clouds came back last night so I didn't get first light but the early hours of Saturday are looking promising :happy7:

Fab stuff Shaun, I think you'll like it! I loved my 17mm Ethos. Everyone talks about their favourite or which is 'the best'. A lot of that is scope and sky dependent of course, depending upon the focal length of your scope and your levels of LP, different magnifications/exit pupils will work best. I reckon the 17 will do you fine..... For now ??

18 minutes ago, Pig said:

Thank you Stu ? I didn't realise the different focal lengths of my scopes kind of gives me an accidental 2 x Barlow effect (400 & 770 mm)

Yep, and the focal ratios give two different exit pupils too. The f5 is 3.4mm which should actually be quite nice for filtered views of wider field objects like the veil if your skies are dark. 2.4mm in the f7 110 will be great for a wide range of 'smaller' DSOs

4 hours ago, Stu said:

Yep, and the focal ratios give two different exit pupils too. The f5 is 3.4mm which should actually be quite nice for filtered views of wider field objects like the veil if your skies are dark. 2.4mm in the f7 110 will be great for a wide range of 'smaller' DSOs

Well how about that :happy7: so if I actually Barlow the f5 (anywhere between 1.3 x --2.4 x) I have a whole plethora of options :help:

Thank you Doug ? 

I did get a quick taster on Saturday evening, two of the most beautiful coloured stars I have seen, even with the Moon right next to them they still looked amazing ?

I bought an Ethos 13mm a while back and I hate it. Cannot wait to get rid of it. 100 degrees is just too wide for my sensitive brain/eyes. I’m obviously in the minority here. Hope it works for you.

Cleetus, quite a few people struggle with 100 degrees and indeed I did for a short time. However, I was loaned one by a friend and was very impressed :happy7: I guess its a question of horses for courses.

On 30/06/2016 at 17:20, Cleetus said:

I bought an Ethos 13mm a while back and I hate it. Cannot wait to get rid of it. 100 degrees is just too wide for my sensitive brain/eyes. I’m obviously in the minority here. Hope it works for you.

You are not the 1st person not to like 100 degree eyepieces by some way.

Fortunately there are lots of folks that do and the Ethos 13 is one of the very best so I'm sure you won't find it difficult to move it on to a new owner.

Archived